Looking to buy a Liberty - need your advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rhinoculips

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I am getting quite interested in buying a '02-'07 Liberty for my daily driver and a part-time Colorado Rocky Mountain pass explorer. At the moment, I found a stock '02 with the part time and full time 4x4 option, 105k miles and an automatic ******. All for $7000. Whats holding me back...my very trusted mechanic and a couple of other garages I've talked too keep telling me to STAY AWAY FROM JEEPS. They say this because of reliability issues with trannies and engines, Chrysler bankruptcy, parts are slow to come by, etc. They see more Jeeps in their shops on a more regular bases.

With this being a Jeep forum, I know the replies will be biased, but helpful. What can you tell me about what I am getting into. How reliable are these Libbies? Are you guys worried about the Chrysler/Jeep bankruptcy?

btw - the Libby I am looking at has a P/S pump leak, where exactly it is, I am not sure. Also the auto ****** is leaking around the flat "bottom" seal? Thus, I may be able to bargain with him a little. How expensive would these be to replace? How difficult are they to do myself? I converted my VW camper to Subaru power so mechanic ability is not much of an issue, I'm more concerned in the P.I.T.A. factor.

Any input will be much appreciated.

offroadohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My advice, stay away. I absolutely hate my Liberty, worst vehicle I have ever owned. search my username and youll find a list of the issues ive had.

But with that said many many many people have not had any problems.

Cash for clunkers is the best thing that ever happened to use liberty drivers, they are finally in the junkyards so parts cna be had a decent prices.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
You know
ThunderbirdJunkie isn't even going to try anymore. Screw it.
He's had 152,000 trouble-free miles out of his '02 Liberty and it gets the shit kicked out if it.
You may or may not have the same results. Depends on HOW IT'S TAKEN CARE OF.

Midgear

Reaction score
Well, mine has 128 thousand miles on it- and hell it runs like new.. my belt tensioner talks to me a little bit but that's an easy fix.

as far as parts being slow to come by.. LOL. There are parts everywhere for these little bastards. They aren't too expensive either-

I'd tell you more if I knew more.. I've only had mine 5 months now lol

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Where do I start?
Lets just say that I know of a bunch who have 140,000/150,000 and more with no problems at all
I bought mine brand new 9/04, it has 135,000 on it, has been lifted over 100,000 miles so far I have replaced
2) rear ujoints
right side CV
Idler pulley
right side tie rod end
other things just normal wear and tear
Great vehicles, parts are available, some may have to be ordered, but everyone is like that these days

and the Cash for clunkers was THE WORST program ever

Midgear

Reaction score
You know
He's had 152,000 trouble-free miles out of his '02 Liberty and it gets the shit kicked out if it.
You may or may not have the same results. Depends on HOW IT'S TAKEN CARE OF.

this right here pretty much sums it up lol

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
just think of all those people that trashed their "clunkers" for those fancy little toyotas.. which accelerate spontaneously and now, cant even stop.

cryinghard.gifcryinghard.gifcryinghard.gifcryinghard.gifcryinghard.gif
too funny

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know
You may or may not have the same results. Depends on HOW IT'S TAKEN CARE OF.[/quote]

Thats it....by the prior owner in your case. But if the one you are looking at has a power steering and a ****** leak keep looking. There are good ones out there.

Dave

offroadohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tom not saying I agreed with CFC as I didn't, but it has sure helped put a liberty or two in the yard so we can get parts. there are 8 in the yard near me.

Until CFC I found one lib in a yard near me and it was a roll over at 60mph so nothing but the driveline was usable.

The lack of them being in junkyards after 7 years may say something, seems there are plenty of newer ford and chevy trucks in there...

and thunderbirdjunkie, I'm not going to dispute the fact that this is the worst vehicle I have ever owned by far, nor how it was taken care of, I have the receipts to prove what maintenance steps I have taken on it. I am very particular about maintaining my vehicles and making sure everything is taken care of as ti should be. My vehicles may not always be gently driven but they are always well taken care of.

My 07 is up for grabs for 9,000. But it has a buyer comming Sat to get it, if you beat him here you cna have it :)

Last edited:

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2003, & honestly it's been the most trouble free vehicle I've owned in my 23 years of driving. You want to consider mine? It's perfect for what you want to do. It's been inspected by the Jeep dealer & all it has is a power steering hose leak & a rear pinion seal leak. Brand new 32" tires, but I can have 31" tires put on it for you instead. I'll sell it to you for $6000, & I'll deliver it!

I'll PM you with my craiglisting.

Last edited:
L

lil black liberty

Hey guys!

I am getting quite interested in buying a '02-'07 Liberty for my daily driver and a part-time Colorado Rocky Mountain pass explorer. At the moment, I found a stock '02 with the part time and full time 4x4 option, 105k miles and an automatic ******. All for $7000. Whats holding me back...my very trusted mechanic and a couple of other garages I've talked too keep telling me to STAY AWAY FROM JEEPS. They say this because of reliability issues with trannies and engines, Chrysler bankruptcy, parts are slow to come by, etc. They see more Jeeps in their shops on a more regular bases.

With this being a Jeep forum, I know the replies will be biased, but helpful. What can you tell me about what I am getting into. How reliable are these Libbies? Are you guys worried about the Chrysler/Jeep bankruptcy?

btw - the Libby I am looking at has a P/S pump leak, where exactly it is, I am not sure. Also the auto ****** is leaking around the flat "bottom" seal? Thus, I may be able to bargain with him a little. How expensive would these be to replace? How difficult are they to do myself? I converted my VW camper to Subaru power so mechanic ability is not much of an issue, I'm more concerned in the P.I.T.A. factor.

First I would say this: As previous owner of a Dodge Neon and Dodge Ram 1500 I would say DEFINITELY GET A JEEP...Not necessarily a Liberty but just a JEEP.. They are really good as far as 4x4 and not to mention they even have a pretty easy customizable factor to them. You pretty much can do anything to these things to "DEFINE" Who you are. I love my 05 Liberty with 85K miles and sure she's had a few problems but most of them were small example, Seats staining (We all know the deal about 05's look at em etc.. etc..), Left Rear Window Regulator going out, Front Springs Sagging and not to mention completely destroyed front end... I have survived all these issues, Fixed the Regulator problem by taking out the Rear Regulators and propping the windows up on 2x4's sure I can't roll them up or down in the back but honestly I don't use them I ride up front. The Seats staining I put custom seat covers on so I don't see them anymore, Front Springs cost $115 at the dealership and got them replaced for little under $30 because I borrowed the tools from Autozone, the front end was completely replaced by insurance and repainted for under $1500 but yet the estimate was for $2000 so I got to keep $500..like someone said on another topic it DEPENDS ON HOW YOU HAVE TAKEN CARE OF IT... and I love my Jeep, I love my Jeep so much whenever it's gone at the mechanics for new tires or whatever I miss it I really do, I personally have gotten emotionally attached to my Jeep and I doubt I will ever get rid of it. The only ***** I really have is the fact I got 2WD instead of 4WD but I guess that's why they Make Rubicons :D:D

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do get a Liberty I’d get an 04 with ABS. 04 was the best year according to Consumer Reports. You’ll need the ABS because the Liberty is heavy.

Avoid the 06+’s (Like I didn’t) Window and electrical problems.

The 3.7’s are solid engines. If you take care of the 3.7 (and you use a good oil like Mobil 1) you should easily get 175k out of it.

The Trannys are solid and should last you for at least 150k if you keep changing the fluid. The 02 ****** might last the longest since it featured the Dodge Ram transmission.

In the end if you don't decide to get a Liberty you could always get and old Jeep with the 4.0engine. A lot of the 4.0 engines are known to get to 300k without rebuilding.

Hope I was of help. I will tell you this: Jeeps are fun to drive and there great off road (even my 2wd lol)

Last edited:

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
If you do get a Liberty I’d get an 04 with ABS. 04 was the best year according to Consumer Reports. You’ll need the ABS because the Liberty is heavy.

Consumer reports is stupid, and so is ABS.
The 3.7’s are solid engines. If you take care of the 3.7 (and you use a good oil like Mobil 1) you should easily get 175k out of it.

175k? Shit, ThunderbirdJunkie will be beyond angry if he has a major component fail before 300,000.
The Trannys are solid and should last you for at least 150k if you keep changing the fluid

lol see above.
In the end if you don't decide to get a Liberty you could always get and old Jeep with the 4.0engine. A lot of the 4.0 engines are known to get to 300k without rebuilding.

4.0 is nowhere near the engine the 3.7 is.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Hey guys!

First off. (welcome)

Jen and I are the second owners of our 2004 Sport. We bought it with
just over 134000 kilometers/83263.74 miles on the odometer.
As of today it has covered 198404.5 kilometers/123282.84 miles from new.
So we've put 64404.5 kilometers/40019.1 miles on it in 3 years, 2 months.
Our Rig has been very reliable for us!
The only components we've needed to replace to date are a water pump
and the lower ball joints!(Which were covered under recall.)
And then just the regular wear and tear parts*, and the complete
suspension system (Less sway bars) because we fitted a lift kit.

*And hose parts are readily available at most auto supply houses or
Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealerships with little to no waiting times.

There are also aftermarket parts and accessories available for KJ's!
from various vendors.

Would I buy another Jeep Liberty?

Yes, only I would go for a Diesel powered one.

Now, about that Scooby powered Vanagon you own?
Do you have any photo's you can pm me?
Seeing I almost purchased a 1989 Vanagon Syncro instead of the KJ!

My advice, stay away. I absolutely hate my Liberty, worst vehicle I have ever owned. search my username and youll find a list of the issues ive had.

But with that said many many many people have not had any problems.

Cash for clunkers is the best thing that ever happened to use liberty drivers, they are finally in the junkyards so parts cna be had a decent prices.

I was gonna ask offroadohio.

Why do you still have your KJ if it is "That bad"?

There are many many Toyota's for sale these days!

Last edited:

TigerClaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man just STAY AWAY FROM THE ONE YOUR LOOKING AT !! If its leaking from everywhere it has not been TAKEN CARE OF and youll end up buying a lemon !! I love my jeep KJ and i bough it knowing i wouldnt do any mileage per year or much ( i do 3 000 miles / year ) so gas consumption wasnt in the deal for me. If you intend on going offroad, HAVE A LOOK UNDERNEATH the KJ and others from the same vehicule class and youll understand why i picked the KJ ... Just that made me get the KJ ... Plus the fact its RWD with 4x4 instead of a stupid AWD nailed it in ... Just pick another KJ then the one your looking at, this one is obvisouly a lemon in the mass production due to ******** maintenance ...

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 75,000 (120K kms) miles on my 2005 Renegade. Other than the stuff that I broke, or the LBJ recall, my KJ has been in the stealership shop 3 times in 4 years. This wee Jeep has been by far the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Take what that dude from Ohio says with a grain of salt. Considering how many 3.7L anythings that ChryCo has made you'll find very few failures among the KJ crowd. Unless it was "Budketized".

Stuff replaced at stealership and under warrantee

Power window switches....coffee soaked, didn't work well anymore
Evap canister... cracked, probably my fault
Lower Ball joints.... recall
U-joints..... my fault too, lift changed pinion angle

Stuff replaced by me

Battery.... -40C shortens battery life, duh
4x springs.... lift
4x shocks..... lift
upper control arms..... lift
a couple of bulbs and stuff that I upgraded

You see where this is going? I really enjoy my KJ. Reliable like an anvil.