Lockers or not

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Will never ever use lunch box type lockers
Had 3 buddies install Aussies and all blew apart within a few months
In my DD I run DTTs front and rear been in there a few years and always work , no issues

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree ^ DTT are really the best all-round option. On Front/Back, they're about 95% as good as a locker without the hassle and cost of dealing with a locker.

Jack Bryant

Reaction score
You can also look at the axle tube near the shock mount and there should be a tag that says “trac-lok”. Mine came with one and it’s decent for street use. Can get scary in snow/ice like any lsd.
I had my tracolok carrier rebuilt and it’s sitting in my garage, let me know if you want it.

That said I have 2 recommendations: for a cheap upgrade I would recommend the Detroit truetrac - a gear driven lsd that has a high bias and works almost as good as a locker off road. The second is the ox locker for the rear which is operated by a cable, not air lines like arb lockers.

There’s not really a locker available for the front d30a, but you can get a truetrac in the front and it works great. And FYI I run synthetic oil in the diffs.
How much you want for the deadlock you rebuilt

Jack Bryant

Reaction score
Will never ever use lunch box type lockers
Had 3 buddies install Aussies and all blew apart within a few months
In my DD I run DTTs front and rear been in there a few years and always work , no issues
What are DTTs

Jack Bryant

Reaction score

Jack Bryant

Reaction score
You can also look at the axle tube near the shock mount and there should be a tag that says “trac-lok”. Mine came with one and it’s decent for street use. Can get scary in snow/ice like any lsd.
I had my tracolok carrier rebuilt and it’s sitting in my garage, let me know if you want it.

That said I have 2 recommendations: for a cheap upgrade I would recommend the Detroit truetrac - a gear driven lsd that has a high bias and works almost as good as a locker off road. The second is the ox locker for the rear which is operated by a cable, not air lines like arb lockers.

There’s not really a locker available for the front d30a, but you can get a truetrac in the front and it works great. And FYI I run synthetic oil in the diffs.
Mine is command trac I don't know how good it is. I would like to try your trackloc . is it for the rear? I have 3.73 gears,I am guessing everything is stock. Do I need anything else to go with it? I haven't ever done a transaction like this so how do I get it.

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Command trac is the model of transfer case, it doesn't affect the rear differential axle traction. The trac lok differential carrier LSD is for the rear only. You'll have to rebuild the rear diff with the trac lok carrier.

You can send me $$$ on paypal and then I'll ship to you.

Jack Bryant

Reaction score
Command trac is the model of transfer case, it doesn't affect the rear differential axle traction. The trac lok differential carrier LSD is for the rear only. You'll have to rebuild the rear diff with the trac lok carrier.

You can send me $$$ on paypal and then I'll ship to you.
What do I need from you to do that. I am new to this.

Payaso65

Reaction score
Any negative handling aspects with a DTT in the front axle on snowy roads in 4x4 setting? Sorry if I'm high jacking a thread.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Any negative handling aspects with a DTT in the front axle on snowy roads in 4x4 setting? Sorry if I'm high jacking a thread.
Not if you know how to drive and have a good set of tires
any idiot even with the very best lockers available can totally get messed up on bad roads

The trash locs are just that , not worth installing even if you get one free IMO

Jack Bryant

Reaction score
What are DTTs
Hey Tommudd I am going to order my DTT for the rear I found some on amazon but I want to be sure I order right one I have stock gears in my 2002 liberty 3.73 Could you give me some idea on what I need. Thanks !!

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score

No, but I think that could depend on what transfer case you operate. With my select trac transfer case the DTT up front was amazing. Clawed its way up snowy roads like it was nothing. Before, even with the same triple peak rated A/T tires, i would slip and slide around a bit. With the DTT it was almost 'fun' to drive around in the snow. I really can't talk highly enough of the DTT. If you do install one, it WILL give you slightly heavier steering and a stronger return. To reduce that effect you can run synthetic oil in the diff to slightly reduce the bias.

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the sound of the ox locker do they sell on Amazon

I don't think so. When I bought mine I called OX directly and they gave me a discount instead of going through a distributor (i.e. Summit Racing, etc.). Anyways, they're good guys and almost always answer the phone/email. I've abused mine a couple times and it works perfectly. I did have to make a minor adjustment to the cable after a year or so after install... but that might have been because I didn't adjust correctly when I installed initially. After some miles they need a little help getting in/out, which significantly improved once I put synthetic oil in the diff - maybe it just needed oil change (?). Anyways, in general you have to complete a very minor turn to get the pins lined up in the rear for it to fully engage. WHen offroading it was a non-issue but on the street after some wind-up it needed a little help.