Lift Progression

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
upper and lower sets of clevis fork bolts?

lower ball joint nut?

lower sway bar link bolt?

upper and lower rear shock bolts?

lol ok so i didnt get them all then! ill make sure to hit those ( i didnt think we completely took off the clevis)

thanks for the info!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
lol ok so i didnt get them all then! ill make sure to hit those ( i didnt think we completely took off the clevis)

thanks for the info!

*Rear upper shock bolt goes back into the frame so can't get any spray on them anyways really, they always come out easy though
*Don't have to remove the lower ball joint to do a lift
*Yes clevis needs to come off, much easier plus if you take your springs to a shop they must be off.
* Do you have a right angle drill/ good drill bits to drill holes in the rear spring pad?
* bolts to hold rear bumpstops in?

Just some more things to think about

Last edited:

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
We always seperate the lower ball joint... just made things a little easier going. To each their own though - there are a lot of different ways to do the same thing. ;)

richar43

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually didn't have to remove either of the ball joints, basicly I removed the following...
sway bar link, completely, clevis, and the strut, just had to do a little of jimmying the parts around, nothing to terrible, it was quite easily actually.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I shot all of the bolts that i know i need to take off on the front end today but one with PBblaster. the only one i couldnt get to was the one under the battery tray.

so that was

Clevis bolts on both sides
driver side strut top bolts minus one
and
passenger side strut top bolts.

i couldnt get to any of the rears on the ground where im parked. might shoot them once later in the week at my parents when i can get a jack under it.

any i missed?

OSU you might want to do this too.

Thanks! Great idea. I'll have to see what I can get to.

richar43

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it wouldn't hurt to hit the swaybar link blots, both the lower and upper. I removed the lower to begin with, then just to make it a little easier, I removed the upper as well, it was a lot easier to do stuff with that linkage out of the way...just FYI

Powerman04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to threadjack but what's the point of loosening the sway-bar. I never did for my lift and haven't had issues to date. :confused:

richar43

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Geeky Jeep, did you manage to get your lift done yesterday.....I was wondering if you did, and how it went

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
ya its done. it was a mixed bag..

we got everything apart just fine.. it went quite well with the disassembly.
but, when i went to put the struts together with the new springs i found that the compressor i had wasnt good enough to put it together again ( figured this might happen) so i took the one disassembled strut and the assembled stocker to a local shop. THey took the already assembled strut apart. and tried to put it together. THen promptly got scared and aborted the job. So i now had two disassembled struts.. after calling several shops ( 5 or so i think) we finally found a place that would do them. ( i think this took 2 or 3 hours to find osmeone. WIthin minutes he had them finished. However he came out of the shop pissed. he said that it was the scariest thing hed ever done.. soi dont think well be able to take any other lift assemblies to that guy lol.
other than that the only issue i had was when the drivers side upper ball joint wanted to spin in place ( nut wasnt going on well at all) thankfully i had some veteran mechanic friends with me and we were able to figure it out..

it looks great! ill have pics up later.

resultant height = 22" all 4 corners

oh and the bracket method for the rear brake lines works... but im not sure how much i like it.. i may save up for the longer lines..

richar43

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats good to hear, and sorry about the strut issue. Stuff like that *****, and sometimes happen, but I'm glad you got it done.... let me know what lines you end up getting, so if I choose to replace mine, i know what to get.

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
i have to admit.. if i were to have the $ at the time.. i would get the longer lines..

i will be getting them sooner than later.. the changes in angles and such really makes me nervous..

thanks for the links TJKJ

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pics dude! pics! I was doing the driving trying to find someone to put the assemblies together. That guy looked more scared than pissed. I think he went to the bathroom and checked his pants. JK

GeekyJeep is cool. Can't wait to do something again.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The place that does mine has done like 14/15 sets for me so far with no problems, most places when I started asking back in 05 was scared of doing them though!
You think the OME 927s are hard try the OME 790s !:D:D:D:D:D
Oh the local suppose to be great 4 Wheel Drive shop charges 50/60 each side just to compress them cause they say they are so hard to do. wimps. Of course they also tell KJ / KK owners that you can not lift over 1.5 to 2 inches :rolleyes: