How to reinstall shock strut with lift kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I've done it this way at least 6x's by now. It works like a charm and makes the whole assembly process soooooo easy. Its' basically the equivalent of a knuckle separator tool but works oppositely. Do what you guys want, but it's super easy, only spreads the clevis by an extra 1/8" (and HOLDS it) and has almost no tension on it.
and exactly what folks have done and then busted theirs and came wanting to buy from used ones from me saying well I read on line someone said to do it this way

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For a regular say 927 setup no straps are needed
For any cheapo spacer lift or say 790s with extras they are needed and make it so easy when they slide in like butter
But then Ive only done a few so what do I know
Well I've only worked with mine and it's 927 with 1/4 top plate and 3/8 clevis space, so that's all I know. The higher rate spring (790) makes it more difficult to install? Shock length doesn't change, must just be less flexible?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Well I've only worked with mine and it's 927 with 1/4 top plate and 3/8 clevis space, so that's all I know. The higher rate spring (790) makes it more difficult to install? Shock length doesn't change, must just be less flexible?
Difference in spring rate
seems like a lot of folks think its super hard to do

Cobi Heckmann

Reaction score
ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS USE A PAIR OF RATCHET STRAPS
connect one end to the other side, and the ends towards the clevis you hook and pull each side into place
No hassle, no loosening the LCAs , nothing like that
and no head killer spring compressors needed either
and I hate the word strut when we have coilover shocks LOL
Quick question regarding your last sentence Tom… I know the parts I want for the front “coilover shocks”, but in the places I’ve looked I can buy the spring and the strut but I can’t buy an OME coilover in a fully assembled package. Do I have to do the full assembly or is there a package deal with the OME parts that thee Tommudd recommends? Does my question make sense?

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quick question regarding your last sentence Tom… I know the parts I want for the front “coilover shocks”, but in the places I’ve looked I can buy the spring and the strut but I can’t buy an OME coilover in a fully assembled package. Do I have to do the full assembly or is there a package deal with the OME parts that thee Tommudd recommends? Does my question make sense?
I took mine to a 4WD shop nearby and paid them to take apart and put together.

Latest posts

Members online