Lift kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepinwyoming

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One more quick question. Where do I buy the brake line relocation bracket? And where do you mount it?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
One more quick question. Where do I buy the brake line relocation bracket? And where do you mount it?

You can make them, I do out of one inch wide flat bar
5 inch long piece, bend one inch in on either end and bend at 90 degrees, hole in middle of each end. Then bolt one end up to where the original was and on the other end bolt the brake line there

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score

You can make them, I do out of one inch wide flat bar
5 inch long piece, bend one inch in on either end and bend at 90 degrees, hole in middle of each end. Then bolt one end up to where the original was and on the other end bolt the brake line there
Yeah, don't overthink it. (Like I wanted to do.) Once you get the springs in it's really a matter of finding a way to connect Point A to Point B. it will be obvious once you are looking at it.

TwoBobs made one for me right there in his garage. I still appreciate that a lot, too. :waytogo:

KJmurf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without having to remove the bolt itself...I was hoping that someone might know the bolt size of the lower rear control arm? 5/8" or 9/16"?

jeepinwyoming

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm about to order the kit. I am going with the econo lift. I got the terraflex front bumpstops. The 4" rear bumpstops and the stainless steel extended brake lines. Anything else anybody can think of. I'll probably order tires tonight or tomorrow. I found some Dick Cepek Extreme Country in a 245/75/16 for a pretty decent price. Any info on those tires would be greatly appreciated.

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm about to order the kit. I am going with the econo lift. I got the terraflex front bumpstops. The 4" rear bumpstops and the stainless steel extended brake lines. Anything else anybody can think of. I'll probably order tires tonight or tomorrow. I found some Dick Cepek Extreme Country in a 245/75/16 for a pretty decent price. Any info on those tires would be greatly appreciated.

theyre rather soft so they wear quickly, and due to that, they'll outrun your rotation schedule and get loud. they're about a 40k mile tire, duratracs are about 20 bucks more than the cepek's and last twice as long generally

jeepinwyoming

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I already ordered the tires so I guess I'll run them for awhile and if they suck then I'll buy some duratracs. The tires will be here on Tuesday and the lift on Wednesday. I've got an appt to get it all installed on Thursday. I'll post some pics on Thursday if it's not to dark when I get off work. Thanks to everybody for all the input.

jeepinwyoming

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have an appointment to get the lift installed tomorrow. An alignment on Friday and tires on Saturday. I guess two of my tires were shipped from a separate warehouse so they won't be here until Friday. A couple more days won't hurt I guess. But at least I'll have the weekend to test it all out.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have an appointment to get the lift installed tomorrow. An alignment on Friday and tires on Saturday. I guess two of my tires were shipped from a separate warehouse so they won't be here until Friday. A couple more days won't hurt I guess. But at least I'll have the weekend to test it all out.

If they offer a lifetime alignment I would go for it. After your lift is on for a few weeks-months it will settle slightly and change your alignment.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Has the shop that is doing the lift ever done one?
Always interesting , had one shop owner from Va. call me to see what I meant by drilling the lower spring perch to mount the hockey pucks down. Had me worried and wasn't even my Jeep :happy175:

Roepar79

Reaction score
I went with 2'' BDS Lift ,JBA Uppers,Monroe Struts,MOOG front suspension parts, General Grabber AT2 245/70/16's ..

roepar79-albums-my-kj-pics-picture6356-my-kj.jpg

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I went with 2'' BDS Lift ,JBA Uppers,Monroe Struts,MOOG front suspension parts, General Grabber AT2 245/70/16's ..

roepar79-albums-my-kj-pics-picture6356-my-kj.jpg

What did you use for rear shocks? The ones provided don't last long
Which Monroe front shocks ? Lower end ones hopefully went with the higher end ones. KJs are heavy and need as good as shocks all around as you can get

jeepinwyoming

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah they have done hundreds of lifts. They have done a couple of mine. I got the lift done now I am just waiting for the alignment and tires. I will post pics later. Driving to the tire shop was scary. I had to drive about 10 miles an hour.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah they have done hundreds of lifts. They have done a couple of mine. I got the lift done now I am just waiting for the alignment and tires. I will post pics later. Driving to the tire shop was scary. I had to drive about 10 miles an hour.

100s of KJ lifts ??
Local shop where I used to live advertised they were the "LIFT EXPERTs "
But wouldn't do a KJ :happy175:
I'd stop in every now and again just to mess with them

jeepinwyoming

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What a mess this has been. I've got clunks in the front and rear and the alignment tech said he could only get the camber within 2.5 degrees. I think I've diagnosed the clunk in the front as the a arms hitting in the pocket. I may or may not open them up. I haven't decided yet. There is a clunk in the rear when hitting potholes in the road and another rattling noise. The rattling noise almost sounds like a hollow piece of metal rattling around. When at full extension in the front passenger there is a horrible rubbing sound that my son said sounds like a jackhammer. All applicable bolts were tightened after weight was on them. I've pounded the punch weld trimmed the front bumper and fenders. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the lifted world
It isn't uncommon to hear noises you didn't hear before lifting, as now everything is at a much steeper angle, you will hear noises from the things that have been bad for a while now so the only real thing to do is inspect every thing possible and tighten everything that was loosened after a couple hundred miles

In my experience with lifting mine, none of the noises have gone away, likely because I got used to it and don't care to put any more money into fixing it
My suspension is VERY bouncy still, even after having it installed for almost a year, so IMO I wouldn't have done it if I knew it'd be the way it is.. very loose steering, wobbles when I hit bumps, etc

It's even more unsafe and uncomfortable than it was with stock suspension, meaning I waisted about $1k just to sit slightly taller than before when I could've spent that on something much better
Ranting on, I know, but this is all I can say about lifting a KJ!
Good luck in your search for more money to be spent! :gr_grin:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What a mess this has been. I've got clunks in the front and rear and the alignment tech said he could only get the camber within 2.5 degrees. I think I've diagnosed the clunk in the front as the a arms hitting in the pocket. I may or may not open them up. I haven't decided yet. There is a clunk in the rear when hitting potholes in the road and another rattling noise. The rattling noise almost sounds like a hollow piece of metal rattling around. When at full extension in the front passenger there is a horrible rubbing sound that my son said sounds like a jackhammer. All applicable bolts were tightened after weight was on them. I've pounded the punch weld trimmed the front bumper and fenders. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Ok if you have rattles and other noises then something is wrong, your lift experts screwed up!
As far as hearing some new things, yes you may but coming from someone who has done more than one, you shouldn't . ( after everything settles in, and you have everything torqued to specs. )
Unless you are in the 3.5-4 inch range and have JBA UCA should not have any spring-UCA clunks. If you are with stock arms then yes you will have.
For example mine on the highway there is no noise at all, only noise I have is the clevis bushings are getting bad so some noise from them around town hitting holes
I would loosen and tighten everything they touched, sometimes that helps .
So check all of that, should be no noise and 150% better than stock ever was
also check the rear boot on the front driveshaft and the sway bar bushings.
Funny how one may have noises before and never notice them, but let someone work on it and you notice every little snap , crackle and pop

Last edited:

jeepinwyoming

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well they forgot to install the front bumpstops for one. And I did find a ball joint in the front passenger lower control arm that is bad. They didn't have time to look at it today. Maybe tomorrow. I sure hope they can get it worked out. I'm ready to go wheel this thing. It looks badass though. I'll see if I can get some pics uploaded. And yes the front sway bar bushings are shot. I can replace that myself though. The rattling noise in the rear has me stumped. I crawled underneath and can't replicate the noise. I'm sitting at 22.5 in the front and 23 in the back after alignment and tires. If they can't figure it out I guess it's time to see what kind of mechanic I am. Scary thought.

Last edited: