Lift kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Well they forgot to install the front bumpstops for one. And I did find a ball joint in the front passenger lower control arm that is bad. They didn't have time to look at it today. Maybe tomorrow. I sure hope they can get it worked out. I'm ready to go wheel this thing. It looks badass though. I'll see if I can get some pics uploaded. And yes the front sway bar bushings are shot. I can replace that myself though. The rattling noise in the rear has me stumped. I crawled underneath and can't replicate the noise. I'm sitting at 22.5 in the front and 23 in the back after alignment and tires. If they can't figure it out I guess it's time to see what kind of mechanic I am. Scary thought.

Check the rear tri-link, it may have been worn but not enough to show up when lifted . Since you're 23 in back putting it up there
As far as the sway bar bushings go, I'd replace the end links as well since you're in there

jeepinwyoming

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so the rattling and clunking has been found. It was the wheel spacers. They left the clips on the studs before they installed the spacers which set them out 1/8 inch. I am not planning on running the spacers for long. Maybe just another paycheck or two. They I will buy some proper wheels. My mechanic loosened and torqued everything to spec again while I was watching and we still had the clunks. When I drive off I felt a wobble and put my mirrors down so I could see the rear tires. They were wobbling horribly. So off to another different tire shop where I got my diagnosis.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok so the rattling and clunking has been found. It was the wheel spacers. They left the clips on the studs before they installed the spacers which set them out 1/8 inch. I am not planning on running the spacers for long. Maybe just another paycheck or two. They I will buy some proper wheels. My mechanic loosened and torqued everything to spec again while I was watching and we still had the clunks. When I drive off I felt a wobble and put my mirrors down so I could see the rear tires. They were wobbling horribly. So off to another different tire shop where I got my diagnosis.

At least you found it but that is a common sense thing when using spacers.
Wow

jeepinwyoming

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well now my wife just wants to order some wheels and be done with it. I'm thinking just some soft 8's. they are cheap and I like the look. I have never run wheel spacers and will never do it again. This thing rides like a damn Cadillac on the road. After dinner it's time to hit some trails for some off road testing.

jeepinwyoming

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so one last stupid question. On the rear bumpstops was the top bumpstop suppose to come out and just use the one I ordered from JBA? Or do they both need to be in there? I was talking to somebody at the gas station and they were looking at it and told me to remove the top one for more articulation. I told them they were both suppose to be there. Am I correct or was he? And can I cut some of the new one off? There isn't much room in between the two. Maybe four inches. When it is flexed the top one slides to the side of the side of the bottom one and creates a horrible sound. I've only experienced this on the passenger side. The hole was measured to the center of the spring perch on both sides so I don't get why just the passenger side would do it. Tomorrow I will get a picture of what I'm talking about if it doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok so one last stupid question. On the rear bumpstops was the top bumpstop suppose to come out and just use the one I ordered from JBA? Or do they both need to be in there? I was talking to somebody at the gas station and they were looking at it and told me to remove the top one for more articulation. I told them they were both suppose to be there. Am I correct or was he? And can I cut some of the new one off? There isn't much room in between the two. Maybe four inches. When it is flexed the top one slides to the side of the side of the bottom one and creates a horrible sound. I've only experienced this on the passenger side. The hole was measured to the center of the spring perch on both sides so I don't get why just the passenger side would do it. Tomorrow I will get a picture of what I'm talking about if it doesn't make sense.

If you used the ones from JBA, then you have to cut the tops off, make them 2 inches tall, leave the top ones in
( that is if you are not running the right backspacing on the wheels and tires sticking out past the flares a lot, then more bumpstop is needed of course )

jeepinwyoming

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I cut the bump stops off at 2 inches. Now I have a bad wheel bearing in the front passenger side. I am willing to bet it is due to the stress caused by those damn wheel spacers I had on there for about 100 miles. This whole Jeep is going to be brand new by the time I'm done with it.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I cut the bump stops off at 2 inches. Now I have a bad wheel bearing in the front passenger side. I am willing to bet it is due to the stress caused by those damn wheel spacers I had on there for about 100 miles. This whole Jeep is going to be brand new by the time I'm done with it.
Wheel spacers put the same stress on the hub/bearings as if you had wheels with the same backspacing.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk