Lift faq: Read before asking questions!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You can use them on stock front shocks

Use any of them you can get, I tape mine together on lifts that i do anyways plus paint them

nmadd118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
first lift install

Maybe a dumb question, but can someone point me in the right direction... Im looking for a detailed write up on installing an OME lift on my kj. I dont have experience with the suspension but plan on trying to tackle it myself. Looking for something w/ pictures and lengthy explanation. Im sure there's something out there but after a few hrs of searching I figured I'd ask. Im also looking to do the clevis lift but that seems fairly straight fwd. About how many mpg will I lose by adding the lift and 245/75's? I have 2005 3.7L 4wd with 53k miles and roughly get 21 mpg highway.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Maybe a dumb question, but can someone point me in the right direction... Im looking for a detailed write up on installing an OME lift on my kj. I dont have experience with the suspension but plan on trying to tackle it myself. Looking for something w/ pictures and lengthy explanation. Im sure there's something out there but after a few hrs of searching I figured I'd ask. Im also looking to do the clevis lift but that seems fairly straight fwd. About how many mpg will I lose by adding the lift and 245/75's? I have 2005 3.7L 4wd with 53k miles and roughly get 21 mpg highway.

You should really consider regearing to 4:10's when you go up to 245-75-16 inch tires.
That way you won't loose any mpg and the ****** will shift properly and not continually hunt for gears.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I know 4.10s are the ****, but if you get your speedometer programmed for your tires it makes a big difference.

Yes, that works...
To a degree.
But the ****** still hunts for gears when you are carrying a good heavy load of gear and going up hills.
Also, we found it best to drive with the overdrive switched off before re-gearing.

nmadd118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.. I probably don't have the funds for the regearing this time around, but I will look into reprogramming the speedometer.. With the OME kit, are the front struts assembled? How difficult is it to assemble if not?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.. I probably don't have the funds for the regearing this time around, but I will look into reprogramming the speedometer.. With the OME kit, are the front struts assembled? How difficult is it to assemble if not?

The front shocks are not assembled with the OME kit from JBA. Here's what I did: I worked a little deal with a local tire shop for an alignment and assembly of the front shocks. A bit of a price break cuz I was having them do a couple of services for me (alignment & front spring/shock assembly.)

Take apart the front of your Libby and bring your shop the old shock & spring assembly and the new OME front spring and whatever shock you go with. Ask them to take apart the old ones and assemble the new using your old isolators and top shock plate. While they're doing that you go back to your garage and take apart the rear of your Jeep and put the new OME springs & shocks in along with the hockey puck bumpstops. When the rear is done, pick up the front shocks & springs from the tire shop, reassemble everything on the front then take the Libby for the alignment. My shop charged me a total of $120 for shock assembly and alignment.

IMO you don't want to mess with compressing the springs and attempting to do it yourself. A good shop can have it done in no time since they have the proper tools and equipment.

Bob

nmadd118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should I be getting the kit that includes the long travel rear shocks or regular length? What would be the differences, other than the obvious longer travel?

nmadd118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where exactly do the teraflex bumpstops go on? I've read they're sort of difficult to go on - have to be pried in - but where exactly do they go?

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where exactly do the teraflex bumpstops go on? I've read they're sort of difficult to go on - have to be pried in - but where exactly do they go?

I circled my bumpstop in red:

You must be registered for see images

Use a shovel to pry it in using the tire as your pivot point. A little soapy water helps too sometimes. Its easy if you do it the easy way. :smokin:

nmadd118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so we're run into a really annoying problem - the nut on the bolt to the ball joint will not come off - we've tried everything - put a block b/t the control arm and bump stop and jacked the lower arm all the way up to tighten everything with no luck - and now the ball joint is just spinning freely - and I'm at a loss for what to do next.. we've even tried heating it.. guess I underestimated how corroded and caked on everything would be.. but we cant even tighten it now.. so we're stuck half on and pulling our hair out

what should I do? thoughts?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 160

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would put a socket n wrench on the end of the stud to hold it (that's why it looks like that) and use an open end wrench to tighten it back up. Then clean up the threads real good and try again.

nmadd118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We've tried that as well and the stud is just stripping - we dont have any other ideas besides cutting it free and getting the ball joint replaced but I really don't want to do that - plus it's a daily driver so I can't be without too much

Losing hope - any other thoughts/suggestions?

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tryed to clamp the ball joint to the knuckle. If you can clamp it tight the ball joint will not spin around this usually works.

nmadd118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the input guys - luckily my neighbor has surgical precision with the saws all and came over to literally just cut the bolt off without damaging the threads on the stud! picked up some new bolts and lift was a breeze after that.. all done and looking great.. will post up a pic soon

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Don't let that guy move out of the neighbourhood! ...lol
Glad you got it under control ... that is my biggest fear about doing the lift myself :D

nmadd118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah definitely owe him a case of beer!!! (Cheers)

honestly was a breeze after that so I would say if you dont live in a salty area/have a lot of rust it's relatively easy if you can get your hands on the right tools.. we didn't run into any other issues beyond those two ball joint bolts

Latest posts

Members online