Lift faq: Read before asking questions!

Discussion in 'Lift Kit Discussion' started by HoosierJeeper, Nov 13, 2010.

1. tommudd

tommudd Moderator Staff Member Moderator

The adjustable coilovers are the best , fronts are not only height adjustable but also can adjust for rebound and compression. Plus i have the rear shocks that are also adjustable as far as rebound and compression , nothing beats them

2. zachr766

zachr766 New Member

Thanks for responding. I think that's what I'm going to do, the price tag is a little high but ill just save up a little. I already know I lost money with the daystar lift, but I think this will be worth it overall, especially since I plan on keeping this jeep until it dies.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

3. tommudd

You'll notice a huge difference between the Daystar and the adjustable coilover for sure.
    Like my buddy Hart said upon riding with me the first time," You can feel the suspension working and not have the body go up and down on every bump "

4. zachr766

zachr766 New Member

I got a quick question and you seem to know stuff. I had the daystar 2.5" spacer and ended up taking them out after a week or so due to the driver side squeaking. And now I'm looking into coil spring lift. I was originally going with the JBA lift but after thinking about it I'm going with the OME 1.5" lift. Due to money reasons I'm buying one part at a time. Now here is my question, do I have to buy the new shock absorbers or can I use the original ones? I know buying new ones would be better just wanting to know. Thanks

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

5. jeeplib05

jeeplib05 Full Access Member

You'll want new ones, your old ones are worn out especially from the sagged springs putting extra load down on them
    There's no point in getting new springs if you aren't getting new shocks, they work hand in hand IMO
    Good luck! It'll be much better in the end than spacers

6. Scottybones

Scottybones Full Access Member

I bought my Liberty with spacers and 265 tires. I've since put OME and bilsteins front with KYB monomax in the rear. Plus I went to 245 tires. What a difference. Do it. You won't regret

7. chieftjs

chieftjs New Member

If I do the OME lift with Bilsteins all around, can I also do the clevis lift, top plate for the front and isos for the back or will I be overextending the Bilsteins?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

8. tommudd

You buy the rear shocks for the amount of lift you are going to have.
    But if going with clevis and top plate you will need the jeepinbya UCAs and you'll have UCA/ spring contact on bumps since you'll be at 3.75 inches
    If you're wanting or thinking you need that height then best bet are the JBA coilovers, no contact
    Of course then also you'll be wanting taller tires so be ready to swap to 4.10 gearing
    Higher you go the more things to change out and the more it costs

9. righopper

righopper Full Access Member

Ditto. Took Tom's advice, did a bit of planning and saving. Love mine. No regrets.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

10. benherr

benherr New Member

Hey Everyone. Just got an 04 Liberty and I'm trying to get it into shape. Front height is 18 inches and back 18 1/2. If I put original equipment type coil springs and Bilstein shocks/struts all the way around, will this bring it back to the original 19 inches ? Will it be level, or do I need to add 1/4 inch clevis spacer ? I'm only going to run 245/70/16 General Grabber At2's. They run 29 1/2 diameter. Just looking for a level comfortable ride that can handle my Colorado foothill's dirt/rock road to my house. Thanks.

11. tommudd

Won't be level unless you do add 1/4 inch clevis
    It will bring it back up to 19 inches yes, will it ride good, no
    and although some say struts in front we have coilovers ( so shocks all 4 corners )

12. benherr

benherr New Member

Thanks, Tom.
    So why won't it ride good ?

13. tommudd

Stock suspension and even the aftermarket to replace the stock is too weak of a spring.
    Best bet is a full OME lift consisting of 925-947 coils and either Bilstein or OME shocks. Would of course lift it some, maybe an inch but would ride way better. Front springs stock are only 310 lbs, OME 925s are 350 , ( what they should of had from the factory )

14. benherr

benherr New Member

With the 925/947 coil set-up, would standard Bilsteins still work ? Verses long shocks ?

15. tommudd

Will top out with regular stock length shocks, reason we use the OME 132Ls or if bilstein the ones for 99-04 Dodge Dakota CLUBCAB 4x4

16. Jo6pak

Jo6pak Full Access Member

@benherr= Just spend the extra cash and get the OME set up. Trust me, I went cheap the first time too (Moog coils, Monroe shocks) That set up was sagged out after about 25k. Then I got a used set of OME coils and ran them with Blisteins up front and KYB in back. The OME coils are worth the extra money, easily. Drives sooo much better; more stable, lasts longer and when you start adding it up, not really that much more expensive.

17. benherr

benherr New Member

Thanks Tom and Jo.
    Guess I need to start saving up.

18. jcoreyw

jcoreyw New Member

Prior to readying this thread, I ordered the RRO Rockfather II. Does anyone have experience with this combination? I'm getting the idea people are not happy with RRO lifts. What problem(s) am I facing?

19. tommudd

RRO....................:emotions34:
    They use OME springs at least. OTT plate is a joke, UCAs are not that good, do not fit well
    Send the kit back , we'll help you get what ever height you are after

20. CRDMX

CRDMX New Member

About two years ago, I swapped a 2.5" lift (vintage 2012ish) from an '05 gasser into my '05 CRD. For awhile now the front has been painfully stiff so I'm looking at replacing gear all around.
    Here & LJ, lift posts & recomendations date as far back as '05, so the CURRENTLY recommended OME PN's are a bit confusing. I'd greatly appreciate clarification from the brain trust (TomMudd?).

For a 2.5" lifted 2005 CRD with an ARB bumper w/12k winch:
    Front: Struts, either # NS131 or 9009 ???; Coils #2790.
    Rear: Shocks # N132L; Coils # 2948.

As I'm looking at committing pronto, confirmations much appreciated.

Also, given plans to tow regularly (w/ occasional tractor-grade local duty), I'm looking at installing the Airlift #60844 airbag setup to provide dialable rear load control. Thoughts appreciated.

My current setup, all OME:
    Front= NS131 struts, E927 coils.
    Rear= 379001 coils; shocks are OME but I can't find the #.
    If anyone's interested, this other stuff will be available after my upgrade swap. Imho, the 927's are still fine = STIFF! Conversely, the 131's on front seem unforgivingly stiff, which I interpret as failure. For "normal" use the rear gear seems fine, but my load plans require a heavier rating.
    Thanks