Lift faq: Read before asking questions!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fogtripper

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Did the spring/shock upgrade (OME and Bilstein) and the liberty steering is rather squirrely after a second alignment. The shop said that the control arms are at too steep an angle now because of so much lift (likely only about 1" above stock height) and there is no setting that would alleviate the "wandering". My wife drove it home from the shop and she mentioned that it now pulls a bit to the right (was not doing so pre 2nd alignment). Attached are the alignment readings.

Edit: Does anyone have a readout of a "properly" aligned KJ with lift that tracks straight and no issues with tire wear?

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
The shop may not know what they’re doing with lifted Liberties…

I’m at 3.5 inches of lift and this is where I am at (a couple of alignments ago as I can’t find the most recent one): (note, I have JBA upper control arms because my Liberty has over 2.5 inches of lift)
You must be registered for see images attach

A little caster has to be sacrificed to bring camber and toe into spec. But at 1 inch of lift it should be a non-issue. Can you measure center of the wheel to bottom of the fender flare for us to verify your lift height? Stock on a KJ is 19”.

Having the camber or toe out can 100% make it drive squirrelly. But structurally rusty control arms (especially rear ones) or rotted out bushings can make it unstable too. There was a recall on KJ rear control arms a while ago for rust damage which you can check on and possibly get free replacements.

Last edited:

Fogtripper

Reaction score
The shop may not know what they’re doing with lifted Liberties…

I’m at 3.5 inches of lift and this is where I am at (a couple of alignments ago as I can’t find the most recent one): (note, I have JBA upper control arms because my Liberty has over 2.5 inches of lift)
You must be registered for see images attach

A little caster has to be sacrificed to bring camber and toe into spec. But at 1 inch of lift it should be a non-issue. Can you measure center of the wheel to bottom of the fender flare for us to verify your lift height? Stock on a KJ is 19”.

Having the camber or toe out can 100% make it drive squirrelly.

It's a 2002 (if that makes any difference) with stock control arms.
Will get the measurement of height when I get home this eve.

Looks like that recall was 2004-2007 libertys.

Last edited:

Fogtripper

Reaction score
Just added to my response while you were typing. Hit refresh… added info on rear control arm recall
I know she had a recall done that added the protective piece with the trailer hitch to guard the gas tank. Will have to check if they did the CAs back there.