Lifespan of the cat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redwingsfan91086

Reaction score
Does anyone know the typical lifespan of the catalytic converters on our jeeps? I have an 04 renegade. I'm pretty new to jeeps and I'm used to GM cats going out as soon as you take it off the showroom floor

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
IMHO the Jeep Cats last a real long time. Mine came with a 7 year warranty.
I am sure there are quite a few members that have 150k miles and still have original muffler and cats.
The 3 cats are expensive to replace but seem to be very high quality and are long lasting.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on how well you take care of your vehicle and how fast you take care of any misfire or O2 sensor codes(or any lean/rich codes).

All '96+ vehicles sold in the US have a federal mandated 8 year/80,000 mile warranty,outside the US your on your own after the basic warranty or any federally mandated warranty your country requires for cat's.

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My cats work with 136k on them but they do rattle pretty bad at times. I just keep putting off their replacement due to the price when I can put that towards something else...like another Kimber or something else that goes bang. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Had to replace my left side cat at somewhere around 150,000 got to rattling real bad in just a few days time

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cats generally have a lifespan somewhat longer than dogs.

Sorry, couldn't resist, that's what I immediately thought after reading the subject!

On-topic, still on original cats at 137,000 miles, but not original muffler, damn salty roads.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
My original muffler only made it about 950 or 1000 miles I think................

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am on my second muffler by choice. The first got yanked for a catback borla which I then in turn modified and the only thing left from that system is the muffler and parts of pipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redwingsfan91086

Reaction score
I live in Michigan so very salty in the winter. I am the 3rd or 4th owner of the Jeep and I got it with 88k miles on it. I don't know how well they kept up with maintenance but I take really good care of it. The problem is right now it feels like its getting plugged up but I'm not getting any OBD codes. I am currently at 98k miles.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in Michigan so very salty in the winter. I am the 3rd or 4th owner of the Jeep and I got it with 88k miles on it. I don't know how well they kept up with maintenance but I take really good care of it. The problem is right now it feels like its getting plugged up but I'm not getting any OBD codes. I am currently at 98k miles.
Unless you let it sit for weeks on end being salt covered there is no issue with corrosion.The cat's operate at 600+ degrees and will burn off anything that causes corossion,now the heat sheilds are a different story.Any vehicle build after '02 will give the P0420 and/or P0430 codes when the cat's are toast.

redwingsfan91086

Reaction score
I'm not too concerned about corrosion. Underneath is quite rust free surprising enough, but I think the past owners have done a lot of open loop driving and had too much raw fuel dumping down in there plugging it up. It just feels like it has no balls anymore and I've checked pretty much everything. On top of that I'm only averaging like 16.5mpg. Another sign of a plugged cat plus a rough idle.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just replaced my drivers side cat at 112,000 - like Troy said I got a P420 code for a bad left cat.

Did the replacement myself and it wasn't too bad - except for the v-clamp holding the converter to the manifold. The aftermarket clamp was just a hair too big allowing exhaust to escape between the flanges of the manifold and converter. Replaced it with a Mopar clamp and that sealed it.

When I was doing the repair I kept telling myself I should reuse the original clamp but all the install notes (and the FSM) said to use a new one. Anyway, replacing the clamp cost me $100 more in total (the first clamp plus the replacement.) Those clamps run about $50/ea... :disgust:

Oh well...

Bob

dmblair78

Reaction score
I've got 145,000 on the clock on my '05 3.7. Haven't touched any of the exhaust yet. I look over it from engine to tail pipe every oil change and it still looks good. Everything feels solid and looks fine. I'm a firm believer with what a few others have said...make sure everything upstream is working properly and it'll save your exhaust.