KJ Versions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bushmonster73

Reaction score
I looked around for a while on here but did not find any specific posts on the differences between versions. I guess my biggest question is, I have an '03 Liberty Freedom edition, when I buy or look for parts do I go with Sport, Renegade, or Limited? I know there is also a Rocky Mountain Edition. So far with the Freedom edition for differences I know of: It has leather/cloth sport interior on the seats and 17" rims. All the parts I have bought so far did not matter or were the same on sport/limited so no wrong parts purchased yet. Just curious if anybody had researched this before or knew off-hand.:smoke2:

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AFAIK, everything's exactly the same. They're simply different trim levels.

On the '05 and '06, Renegade, Rioky Mountain and Columbia means you have a flat hood, bumper-mounted fogs and a different grille. Other than that, the same.

Bushmonster73

Reaction score
The link helps explain some of it but as for my main question- when I buy or look for parts do I go with Sport, Renegade, or Limited because those are the only options ever listed at AutoZone or any parts store?

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I said above, it does not matter. They are only trim levels, ie cosmetic, they do not change the mechanicals in any way. All that matters is 2.4, 2.8 or 3.7; 4x4 or 2x4; auto or manual.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I said above, it does not matter. They are only trim levels, ie cosmetic, they do not change the mechanicals in any way. All that matters is 2.4, 2.8 or 3.7; 4x4 or 2x4; auto or manual.

That's not entirely accurate though. One example would be the renegade got a higher output alternator. If I went to the parts store and asked for an alternator for a limited, I wouldn't get the right part. :think:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Freedom, Columbia, and Rocky Mountain are technically special editions. They seem to match up most options with the Limited trim level. I don't think you're going to be getting the higher output alternator on them, as well as no trail lights, etc.

Use some common sense on parts that you can tell are different (I.E. hood and grille shape). Other than that you should be OK. I think the alternator is the special case.

Specifically in the case of the '02-'04 special editions, there are no differences in even exterior parts. Just things like the multi-color seats, the gun-metal colored wheels, and the graphite bumpers.

In short: if you're ever telling Autozone, just say "Limited". I usually tell them it doesn't matter, even though I have a "Sport" trim.

Last edited:

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They also made sports with limited edition things, ie wheels, fenders etc. My sport has LTD flares and 17 inch wheels from factory.

Other things that are differnt is part numbers for lbj ie moog k3199's that fit the 06 and 07 yet other parts are listed. But these are model year specific issues and not trim.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Try telling the parts stores that you have the Kilimanjaro Edition :mfr_omg:

PLUS why the heck are you buying parts at *utozone, you should only be buying wax and air freshners there.

But 90% of the parts will fit all years ,very few differences

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's not entirely accurate though. One example would be the renegade got a higher output alternator. If I went to the parts store and asked for an alternator for a limited, I wouldn't get the right part. :think:

It would function perfectly, and be a factual upgrade.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, actually it would be a downgrade. I have a Renegade. But it's no matter, it was just an example.
Not really,in world terms you'd loose about 9-12amps(max amps,not what your using) from the alternator but unless you run around all the time with every single electronic thing on in your KJ(to include all lights,heater,AC,rear defroster,stereo,wipers,and everything else) you'd never know the difference and either would your battery.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not really,in world terms you'd loose about 9-12amps(max amps,not what your using) from the alternator but unless you run around all the time with every single electronic thing on in your KJ(to include all lights,heater,AC,rear defroster,stereo,wipers,and everything else) you'd never know the difference and either would your battery.

I do have a stereo system in my Jeep, and would not want the smaller alt. But again, it was just an example. :whymewhyme:

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, actually it would be a downgrade. I have a Renegade. But it's no matter, it was just an example.

I meant limited or otherwise to higher amp. Is a fallacy that it won't work or be more beneficial...even with the computer operated voltage regulation, the 160a alternator is able to do the job faster, and the voltage regulator will simply kick it out sooner. A.k.a. There is no computer difference and it is a bolt on upgrade for most KJ's on the road.

Members online

No members online now.