Rear number plate/UK version

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lib88888

Reaction score
Anyone know if I can get a smaller number plate or different placement for the rear? Compared to the US models the placement looks awful. I’d rather have the large plastic cover taken off the wheel too. Any ideas? Picture for reference

Attachments

• IMG_5400.png
    IMG_5400.png
    568.5 KB · Views: 12

ccg2301

Reaction score
I hear ya, I'm not that enamored with the rear carrier (plastic cover) for the number plate over the spare tire either but because the UK has size requirements for licence plates and the numbers and letters shown on them (shown below from the UK gov website), the only option I can think of would be to remove the carrier and then have your plate attached to the back bumper (similar looking North American style). You might also consider getting a private registration (licence) plate with less letters and numbers on the registration plate. I have seen people have shorter plates on their cars by doing this, while still meeting the UK gov requirements. If you find a solution I would love if you posted a picture of your solution.

(UK GOV)
Vehicles with new or replacement number plates fitted
from 1 September 2001 cannot be shown over 3 lines
(unless the vehicle was first registered before 1 January
1973) or if a vehicle is constructed before 1 January
1980 and is registered in the historic tax class and is
exempt from vehicle tax. The characters on a number
plate need to be a certain height and size:
• characters must be 79mm tall
• characters (except the number 1 or letter I) must be
50mm wide
• the character stroke (the thickness of the black print)
must be 14mm
• the space between characters must be 11mm
• the space between the age identifier and the random
letters must be 33mm
• the margins at the top, bottom and side of the plate
must be 11mm
• vertical space between the age identifier and the
random letters must be 19mm

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
I'm thinking of replacing the rear plate with a square one, I've seen that done & just not having the plate overhanging the hinged flap is an improvement.

Longer term, I'm toying with removing all the spare wheel hardware, except the actual mounting bracket, & making a bracket to locate a square plate opposite the handle. Of course you could just attach the plate to the door in that position, but I'd like the conversion to be reversible.