Just a Random Problem or Is It?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RookieLibertyist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah so using an example to explain my "problem". when im going through the steak and shake drive through to get a nice big milkshake my Kj makes a weird kind of crackling (best i can describe it) noise coming from the exhaust. it only does it when i give the kj just a little gas like when i go through a drive-thru as above.

just wondering what it is cuz its made this noise a while and its just annoying to hear.

thanks

Sal

ck2012

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does that too and also when when I'm backing my boat up? I think its just the pipes vibrating causing the noise.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First
What kind of milkshake :shrug:
Lol lol lol
Maybe check cat shelds my 03 did that spot welds failing.
But with out hearing it cant tell you what it is can you record it.
Oh and what kind of milkshake

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Had this happen on my Ford Ranger before the KJ - then, it was the catalytic converter heat shield.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah so using an example to explain my "problem". when im going through the steak and shake drive through to get a nice big milkshake my Kj makes a weird kind of crackling (best i can describe it) noise coming from the exhaust. it only does it when i give the kj just a little gas like when i go through a drive-thru as above.

just wondering what it is cuz its made this noise a while and its just annoying to hear.

thanks

Sal
Is it a rattle or a "cackle" type of sound?

If a cackle type sound it's totally normal and nothing your going to do will make it go away.Mine cackles very loudly,more so when I'm in 4low.Love that sound.

Scorask

Full Access Member
Reaction score

thanks

Sal

Does it sound like its coming from inside too? If so I have the same sound, especially on cold mornings when I start it up to warm up. I actually have played around with the tailpipe by putting pressure on it and the noise has stopped. I'm hoping to replace my current muffler with a flowmaster or magnaflow soon so I can deal with it until then.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I notice something like that when I add power at low speed any time I have my window rolled down. A mild "cackle" in tune with engine RPM. My Jeep's done it for years, probably since it was built. I think it sounds cool.

RookieLibertyist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First
What kind of milkshake :shrug:

well it depends where but my favorite is at steak n shake THE Cookies 'n' Cream milkshake. it is the greatest ice cream flavor known to man hands down. dont even start to argue w me on it.

Is it a rattle or a "cackle" type of sound?

If a cackle type sound it's totally normal and nothing your going to do will make it go away.Mine cackles very loudly,more so when I'm in 4low.Love that sound.

uhm no to me its not a "cool" sounding noise like if i had a flowmaster or something. the best way to describe it is if you were to take a drum stick and buzz rolled it on a metal pole. the noise just annoys me is all. thats why i asked