Just a noise...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

808inthe949

Reaction score
First, I know coming online to ask for help with a sounds is ill advised. But, im at a loss. No codes, cold a/c, no driveability issues or overheating.
KJ doesnt make any weird engine noises, until this morning that is. Dropped fiancé off at work, no noise. Dropped her sister off at work 5 hours later and upon returning home I hear a rapid ticking intune with the rpm. I have not done repairs for at least 5 days before today so nothing new to cause an issue that wouldnt have been there yesterday.
When I go under the hood with a rubber hose (fuel line) I can not locate the source. When I use a long metal bar (3/8 round stock), it seems to be coming from the ac unit. not the ********* condendser but the part with the pulley ( I sound so smart; sarcasm). Not the pulley itself but the internals behind the pulley. Using the hose/bar there is no tick from under car at oil pan, exhaust manifold, cats, etc. From up top, no noise at either valve cover, any of the pulleys, intake manifold, throttle body, elec fan, power steering pump. Noise is louder that a pcv ticking but not as loud as a knock. Rpm goes up, so does noise. (in speed not loudness or intensity)
Removed serpentine belt for testing, noise still there. Not any worse or any better. Noise does not change with ac on/off. Noise does not change when in any gear. Does not go away after 2500 rpm like exhaust manifold crack. No difference between cold or warm engine. All fluids are at capacity and well within service window (oil<1000miles old, trans fluid<5000 miles old, power steering <5000 miles old)
No Leaks (other than my front diff but thats unrelated I think)
Any suggestions to try and find the problem are appreciated

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you believe it could be valvetrain noise? These things seem to make a ticking noise as they get older, which I suspect is the lash adjusters (lifters).

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
A mechanical stethoscope may help greatly in pinpointing the tick better.
Are you using synthetic oil or Dino, what weight?
Lubegard Bio tech engine treatment 10 oz or 15 oz, sure quietened my lifter tick quickly.

Attachments

• LubeGard Bio Tech 15 10 OZ.jpg
    LubeGard Bio Tech 15 10 OZ.jpg
    560.3 KB · Views: 9
  • LubeGard Bio Tech Info.JPG
    LubeGard Bio Tech Info.JPG
    581.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

808inthe949

Reaction score
Where can that lubeguard be purchased? Someone recommended marvel mystery oil. Haven't ever used either product. Are they similar or does one not work very well?
The oil I'm running is Mobil1 full syn 5w30 with Mobil1 extended life filter. Less than 1000 miles on this oil currently.
I always thought that the lifter noise would be easy to hear at the valve covers with the long screwdriver/ rubber hose trick. The only spot that the screwdriver ticks on is right at the top of the AC unit on the front of the motor. Neither valve cover has a tick underneath (that I can find). The valve cover gaskets were replaced about 25,000 and I was told the top end was "rebuilt" but I think it was just the gasket that was replaced.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Lubegard products in USA here: https://www.lubegard.com/where-to-buy/
I sometimes get a valve ticking noise from a header leak, in summer when it's really hot.
You are using a good oil & viscosity.
It sounds like in your case the A/C compressor could have something going on. Possibly a bearing issue?

808inthe949

Reaction score
I had though that if I removed the serpentine belt and ran the motor, the ac wouldn't be running therefore the noise should have been gone with the belt off and the engine running. But it was still there with no difference in speed or intensity. I'll try the lubeguard. Local "zones" only had the trans product.

808inthe949

Reaction score
So I dropped Bert off at the car docs this morning for a diagnostic. Stubborn whip didn't make any noise for them.
When I started it this morning, the noise was there. Drove carefully to car docs, parked and noise was gone. When I grabbed Bert a bit ago, no noise at startup and nothing when I got home.
Think I'll seafoam my crankcase, drive 20 miles, then run some fresh oil+filter with the lubeguard added.

Bikeflyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive had two sets of AC pulley bearings go gritty through the years. It may not show up at beltless speed though. Sometimes the noise can be the AC pulley clutch face dragging too. If you shoot it with windex and it goes quiet for a minute then you know.

808inthe949

Reaction score
I have always used PB blaster silicone **** spray for all my pulleys. Is the windex meant to clean or lubricate? When I removed the belt, the noise was still there without the ac pulley moving.

808inthe949

Reaction score
A mechanical stethoscope may help greatly in pinpointing the tick better.
Are you using synthetic oil or Dino, what weight?
Lubegard Bio tech engine treatment 10 oz or 15 oz, sure quietened my lifter tick quickly.
Way off topic but I see in your sig that you have the 3/8 steel top plate for added lift. Did you have to fab it or purchase from somewhere?

Bikeflyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The windex is merely a transient diagnostic aid that won't gum anything up. Also can rule out a squeaking belt(which they do sometimes too). Once you know what really squeaks then you can properly **** it.

808inthe949

Reaction score
Ah I understand. I will try that if/when the sound returns. For now Bert is road worthy (minus the front diff leak)

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score

808inthe949

Reaction score
I'll have to check JBA. Gotta call em anyways as I'm waiting for my new boot set for my UCAs. I haven't sent anything to a company for custom cutting. Any roundabout guess to what it'sd cost to have made?

808inthe949

Reaction score
Update: added LG products to crankcase and transmission. Seems to run much quieter and my shifting is a little smoother. Went for a 600+ mile drive over the weekend and the noise never came back.

Latest posts

Members online