Jeep Liberty 04 wont start 3.7 auto

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcj7161

Reaction score
My Liberty died tonight...s..sounds like a 70's song by Jefferson Starship.....so I am searching the jeep forums and seeing if you have any ideas

wont turn over
key will turn one click but as soon as you try to use the radio, wipers, lights, blower, or anything with power everything goes dead
2 clicks and everything goes dead
none of the classic starter sounds
jumping it didn't work
cleaning the battery cables didn't work
neutral starting didn't work
second coded key didn't work
fuses in the engine bay are fine...not sure about the relays in the fuse box.....I did swap the starter relay with the wiper relay but it didn't help

jeepchic79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dead battery or starter ? possible alt ? Try hitting the starter with a hammer or a wrench see if that might help ?

jcbll95

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
Use a voltmeter to see if the battery is at full charge. Some newer vehicles dont take to well to jump-starting.

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is quite similar to what happened with my car (not the Jeep) - in the morning it started fine, that evening, nothing. Tried jumping it from another vehicle, it was getting some juice but not near enough. The auto club came out and was able to boost it, drove home, shut it off, dead as a doornail again.

Turned out to be the battery in my case. I've never seen one die that fast, my mechanic said they can short out a cell internally and boom you're dead.

darksun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Smashing through the boundary, lunacy has found me, cannot stop the BATTERY! hehe :)

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Battery....

Try a new battery first. You don't have to go expensive. Hit your local Wal-Mart and buy a $50-$60 battery just to see if it then starts. If not take battery back for refund and tell them it didn't fit or something and they will give you a refund. Yeah i know dishonest but money is tough these days.

If you can get it to a local Advance or Pep Boys, they will test the battery on a load tester, just pull the battery and get that to the store and have them test it, if anything doesn't look right buy a new battery.

And if a battery doesn't fix it, well then we will figure that out when the time comes... LOL

jcj7161

Reaction score
Ding Ding Ding we have a winner...it was the battery.
Not taking a jump threw me off...darn modern automobiles.
thanks to everyone

ephantmon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EXACTLY what happened to me too!

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner...it was the battery.
Not taking a jump threw me off...darn modern automobiles.
thanks to everyone

The exact same thing happened to me two months ago. Parked Monday night, everything worked fine. Tuesday morning and NADA! It took 6 consecutive jumps to make my way into town to get a new battery. Even when it was running and I was keeping the RPMs high, it would cut out on me. When these things go, they GO, no warning at all.

Latest posts

Members online