JBA Steel diff. info wanted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Wonder where the pics/tales of 33+ tires and beat downs are??? Have only Mall Crawlers bought these things?? Is SFA the only way?? Are CV's holding up to them?? Where is the info??? Smoke and mirrors??

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Ya,
$1500.00 for steel diff case.
$1600. (Canadian dollars) for the ARB locker/$250.00 air compressor =$1850.00
(Doesn't include installation) more $$$.$$
Regear $300.00
RCV Axles/CV $2200.00-$2500.00
$5850-$6150.00
May as well go SFA at least then you can get better than a Dana 30.

Way too much money IMHO to run 33's and still just be stuck with IFS.

As far as photos...
Yup, lots of web wheelers here and other than us hand full of actual off roaders here I am starti g to think that there are allot of mall crawlers and posers here!

Last edited:

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I don't care so much if you just Mall Crawl as spending BIG bucks on this kind of thing and no real results shown. I think your numbers are close and I think there are more cost effective solutions. Buy two or three spare diffs(alum) .

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I can see that. I have no mod to front. Have seen a few bust. knock on wood,I have had 0 problem from mine. Just find it weird that there are NO big write ups about how great the 5000 dollar diff is.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
My steel diff has been holding up fine since the whole spider gear breakage thing at ECS last year... and I've had it wheeling a handful of times since then. 2012 ECS is next weekend, and it's ready. I just upgraded from 31" to 32" tires (yesterday), so we'll see how it behaves.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya,
$1500.00 for steel diff case.
$1600. (Canadian dollars) for the ARB locker/$250.00 air compressor =$1850.00
(Doesn't include installation) more $$$.$$
Regear $300.00
RCV Axles/CV $2200.00-$2500.00
$5850-$6150.00
May as well go SFA at least then you can get better than a Dana 30.

Way too much money IMHO to run 33's and still just be stuck with IFS.

As far as photos...
Yup, lots of web wheelers here and other than us hand full of actual off roaders here I am starti g to think that there are allot of mall crawlers and posers here!
Dang I got less in my HP44 and I have chromo axles,CTM's,ARB air locker,and a bunch of Crane goodies.Okay about $5600 in my HP44 but still less then what your listing as a low estimate there Ry.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Don't get me wrong, the steel diff is nice and all. It's just very expensive for what you get.
And to maximize its strength you do really need RCV axles as the half shafts are next in line as the weakest link.
Allot of money to run 33-34" tires.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
For me, it was cheaper to destroy CV's than diff housing/gears. I'm okay with that being the next weakest link.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me, it was cheaper to destroy CV's than diff housing/gears. I'm okay with that being the next weakest link.
Yep always a good idea to "engineer" the weak link that is easily swapped out on the trail and easy to carry.

For me my weak link in my front end is the lockout hubs.I carry a spare set and they have a no ?'s asked lifetime replacement warranty.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Yello I expect to see some cool pics of fronts smoking,etc.

We'll see... I'm still a little gun-shy after having diff breakages the last 2 out of 3 major outings. :pp: I'm working my way back.