It'll never happen to me ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad it wasn't any worse than that and that everyone was OK.

I'm sure they will be able to fix everything back to normal.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Update: Shop just called to say they are waiting for the insurance co. to decide what to do next ... damages estimated at $7k ... :eek:

Please don't scrap my Jeep, Please don't scrap my Jeep, Please don't scrap my Jeep! If I say it 3 times fast maybe it will help :(

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Luke.. Relax,
Your KJ is worth more than 7K.
Sometimes they might get a second estimate as well, be patient.
You can call the estimator and have a fireside chat, stating your additional mods and dollar value from and and above purchase price, if it comes down to it. The bottom line is that you will get your KJ fixed. They base it on similar year KJ's and you cant get one for 7grand even in Craigslist, so you are safe.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Thanks I need that U2 ...

I'm just worried because I bought it when the economic meltdown was in full swing ... for just over $10k with only 30k miles on it. Now I can't even look at an 04 with 100 for less than 12.

If nothing else the $1200 CDN worth of new tires on her better help drive up the value.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Very glad you and the offspring made it out OK! It can always be MUCH worse!

I know I shouldn't do this but...Wranglers...*cringes*#-o...sry

Cool story, bro. Enjoy your cheap, 10-year-old Bridgestone design :D
Those Silent Armors are awesome tires for a pavement pounder. Just FFS stop generalizing ALL Wranglers with the OE junk.
I try not to think about what would have happened if I was driving ...something like ... TBJ's Paseo for example ... lol

If you have good life insurance, and you are terminally ill, the Paseo is what you'd want to drive this time of year in Canada ;)
Wow that must have been scary. I'm really glad your both okay. This is why all vehicles should come with ESP. It probably would of prevented the entire accident.

Yeah, no thanks. ThunderbirdJunkie's got traction control...it's called the two levers in the console and the two pedals on the floor.
Thanks I need that U2 ...

I'm just worried because I bought it when the economic meltdown was in full swing ... for just over $10k with only 30k miles on it. Now I can't even look at an 04 with 100 for less than 12.

Then you really SHOULD be in a good position. Isn't Canadian federal (or whatever you call it) insurance good about paying attention to replacement value?

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Luke... sounds like you should be ok but just in case... I heard an ad for these guys on the radio just yesterday and thought of you ;)

http://theywroteoffmycar.ca/

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with and have not dealt with or even heard of this site before yesterday, so I have no idea if it is a scam or what. Just thought I'd put it out there!

Dave

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool story, bro. Enjoy your cheap, 10-year-old Bridgestone design :D
Those Silent Armors are awesome tires for a pavement pounder. Just FFS stop generalizing ALL Wranglers with the OE junk.
-I will indeed enjoy my number one rated A/T tire on tirerack tires:cool:
-Wranglers...lol:p

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
UPDATE!!!!!!!

PHEW!

Body shop got the OK from the Ins.Co. to go ahead with the repairs !!!!!!!!

Get this ... and 'splain to me how this could happen if you can. The shop sent in a damage estimate of just over $7k ... and the insurance company answered back and approved $8450 :eek:

Is ING/Intact Insurance just that consumer friendly? I am impressed with the service that is for sure, they had me in a rental the day after, and approved for repairs the same day the estimate was sent in. All of this after an extremely busy weekend for accidents up here.

Thanks for all of your support ... never thought I'd need it but you guys and Jayme ;) are awesome.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Luke, I am glad it is being repaired. It didn't look like it was that bad from the pics but I guess you can't really tell from pics anyway.

Any idea how long before you get it back?

Dave

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
UPDATE!!!!!!!

PHEW!

Body shop got the OK from the Ins.Co. to go ahead with the repairs !!!!!!!!

Get this ... and 'splain to me how this could happen if you can. The shop sent in a damage estimate of just over $7k ... and the insurance company answered back and approved $8450 :eek:

Is ING/Intact Insurance just that consumer friendly? I am impressed with the service that is for sure, they had me in a rental the day after, and approved for repairs the same day the estimate was sent in. All of this after an extremely busy weekend for accidents up here.

Thanks for all of your support ... never thought I'd need it but you guys and Jayme ;) are awesome.

Because once you open up something with a ton of crunched parts, it's not uncommon for the estimate to go 30% higher than originally estimated.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
-I will indeed enjoy my number one rated A/T tire on tirerack tires:cool:
-Wranglers...lol:p

:D

not tryin to start anything brutha... just maybe save ya from your own misconception. I felt the same way about GY's .. for a long time... until I tried the Silent Armors.

Using your source .. you can see that there is no way that they could be "crap" and be so close on the list to your Destinations. Not to mention rated higher in deep snow traction. :) I would suggest that given another 2000 ratings they would be even closer.
....and I haven't done my review yet either ;)

I think we both picked excellent tires and that's that :D

You must be registered for see images attach

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear you two are okay.This time of the year really *****.

I think the KJ's are pretty tuff though when it comes to smacking into things. My fiancee slide on black ice a month ago and she slide into a gaurd rail head on. She made it out okay too :D . she was doing about 45-50mph in a 55 zone when she hit the ice. All she needed was a new front bumper, left Blinker and fog light and a new grille. she had the KJ repaired under a week.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Hi All ... glad to be here!

Setting : -5 C, Light snow, cleared 3 lane (each direction) Hwy, moderate to heavy traffic (Hwy 400 North for you Canucks)

Scenario : About 150 km's into a 200 km trip taking my daughter back to Toronto, Traveling in the centre lane at about 100 kph, No foreseeable danger or loss of traction or changing road conditions for 150 km's. No 4WD.

Hold ON : Heading up a slight hill ... Hit black ice... back end swings out ... kept my foot off the brake ... heading right toward the massive ditch ... correct to the left ... back end comes around and spins the Jeep.. at least one full revolution, maybe two (I was busy writing my will at the time) as we head towards the concrete median. Just enough time to tell the love of my life "It's OK .. just hold on!" and do the standard one arm out to protect the passenger move ... (ya that'll help)

SMACK : Hit 4ft concrete median, front drivers side and spin another half revolution... Air bags deploy, although they did nothing (thanks to the seat belts) for us except fill the cabin with smoke... I am now facing the flow of traffic neatly tucked in next to the median on the shoulder. After realizing that we were OK, I got out to look as traffic had slowed, no leaks, nothing impeding the front wheels ... get in turn the key and she starts as if nothing happened. No error codes, no warning lights, no broken lights, even the license plate is still on despite the shattered frame! She got me the rest of the 50km's home and drove as if nothing happened the whole way

PHEW! : Considering the the above I am soooo lucky ... lucky I had already dropped my daughter off, lucky I had just bought new tires, lucky I was able to bring it back to the centre of the hwy, and so lucky that absolutely no one was anywhere near us! which is rare on that Hwy at any time.

After I stopped traffic and turned around to get back facing the right direction on the Hwy I passed 2 other vehicles within 500ft of where I wrecked, both ended up in the same position I did against the median, both had deployed airbags, but they unfortunately were not driving home that night.

She is at the Jeep Dealer being looked at, and I was given hope that I'll get her back, but we shall see. You can tell that my tow hooks took most of the force of impact and although they are in perfect shape the mounts twisted the beam beyond belief. There can't be more than 2mm left between the rads and the bent metal, but no puncture. I would imagine the spinning motion at impact made the damage a lot less than it could have been.

You know you've already found your Jeep when they give you a new North Edition KK and you would still rather have yours back. :(

Cheers All,

Glad to hear that nobody was hurt.
I'm sure your KJ will be lookin' good after it's all fixed again!

Wow...lucky dude! I'm glad you and your daughter are ok.

She doesn't look to be in too bad of shape. She can be fixed up for sure:)

I know I shouldn't do this but...Wranglers...*cringes*#-o...sry

I guess your KJ will never grow up and wear real tires then!

BTW, I'd like to see how your A/T tires compare to the Goodyear Wrangler M/T R Kevlar tires in a real world test!

And remember...

Chrome don't get you home!

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Thanks Dudes... They are working ******* it right now!

Just ... don't mention (to my Ins.Co.) the fact that that I only paid just over 10k for a vehicle they are sinking $8500 into... :D

Woot!

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
lol ... ya no one else can type in a part number ..... specialized parts guy training is required :D