It'll never happen to me ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

guitarzan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can tell you though ... I am through babying my transfer case .. I would rather replace it if I can reduce the chances of ever going through that ever again. I'm not talking hard turns on ashphalt or anything but my PT light with be glowing a lot more often and I'll be spending more on gas :D

I'm agree on that! I'd rather replace it than wreck.

What is the "North Addition" package on the KK?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
luke, I am glad no one was hurt.

It doesn't look that bad in the pics, but I know you really need to look at stuff like that in person. If it drove ok afterwards with no death wobble or pulling to one side you might have lucked out and not had any fubared uniframe or anything. Keeping my fingers crossed that it is just superficial damage and will be fixed and ok afterwards.

Dave

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow that must have been scary. I'm really glad your both okay. This is why all vehicles should come with ESP. It probably would of prevented the entire accident.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Don't know if that will do anything good on ice...did you turn off O/D?

Maybe that will help...

Not a lot of difference on ice i agree .. it downshifted hard as I went up a slight hill with steady pressure on the gas... I just think that the wheel spin may not have been as violent at the rear with 4HI engaged and I would have been able to recover.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's just I've had bad experiences with different Wranglers over the years that, well, as soon as I see "Wrangler" I cringe. The silent armors are perhaps good, but most, if not all Wranglers are crappy OE tires. You couldn't pay me to run Wranglers no matter what version.
MT/R's(old style) rock,never had a issue with the 3 sets I ran on my WJ/KJ,I had to really try to break the back end out with them.The new Kevlar MT/R's are even better.

To the OP..............

The damage doesn't look to bad,the expensive part is replacing the airbags,clock spring,SRS controller,and the front impact sensors.

Oh and ESP would not have helped,black ice is so sudden the ESP would have barely activated before you slammed into the median.

Last edited:

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I sure hope yur right TJ ... I don't want any other Jeep

She runs a hell of a lot smoother than the KK I'm driving ... to be fair I'm sure it's first 15k have been hard rental km's. It feels too digital :confused: ...there is far less feedback from the road if that makes any sense.. I know some people want that but ... ugh. Also in it's defense it has Wrangler SRA's on it .. no road trips forth coming :D

P.S. I don't pretend this rep's every KK and no offense meant to my KK bruthas ... at least I don't think they are ugly anymore :D

dfourmet

Reaction score
So glad you are both OK! You WERE really lucky you were driving your jeep. I got hit by a semi a few years ago and walked away. Not sure I would have in anything other than the jeep. It did a lot of body damage, but it was fixable (the frame wasn't bent surprisingly...). I wouldn't have anything else! :D

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Luke,
Does that new KK have Selec-Trac-Full Time, cause if it does, I would take it out for a good snow covered, open parking lot boogie, and see with the stock crap tires, what it can do. :)
Go for it... report some trials....It's a rental.....:p
might bring a whole new meaning to "Fly By Wire":cool:

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Luke,
Does that new KK have Selec-Trac-Full Time, cause if it does, I would take it out for a good snow covered, open parking lot boogie, and see with the stock crap tires, what it can do. :)
Go for it... report some trials....It's a rental.....:p
might bring a whole new meaning to "Fly By Wire":cool:

LOL ... I live at the end of a crescent .. and the nearest house is about 1km away .. it's my own private doughnut track ... I tapped on the gas in 4 Hi and spun around more than half a revolution ... I could never do that with my Silent Armors, I literally have to work to get them to break free in snow.

No select trac on this KK

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Luke, it probably has those special OEM doughnut tires on it....:D

Dave

Boiler

Reaction score
I thought in Canada you had to use winter tires during certain months? Or is that just certain places.

I tote my kids around in Indiana, we're considerably more mild wintered than just about any of Canada I'm sure. I'll use winter tires from now on, they're really that good. It is $ but you can't put a pricetag on your life, especially not your kid's life.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Boiler, The rental car companies do not use winter tires, except in Quebec where 2 years ago, they legislated mandatory snow tires from Dec15 to Mar15.
http://www.mtq.gouv.qc.ca/portal/page/portal/grand_public_en/vehicules_promenade/securite_routiere/securite_conditions_hivernales/reglement_utilisation_pneus_hiver
Here in B.C. where we get tons of snow in the interior and North, if you rent a vehicle, you get all season radials.
There was some talk here in B.C. about making highway 99 a mandatory snow tire region, but if it is bad, and you don't have the right tires or chains, the police turn you around if they feel like it. However, studded tires are ok and you often in winter hear the clickety sounds on dry pavement here in Vancouver.

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's only particular regions of the great north that require snow tires. Black ice is no joke but at least the KJ is a very durable vehicle.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah here in Quebec you are obligated to run dedicated winter tires. But there are several exceptions in the law. One of them says that any tire that has the markings A/T on it is considered legal. sweet! lol:p

Latest posts

Members online