It'll never happen to me ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
(censored)!

So I went out to touch up my hooks last night ... fun :D ... and realize that I needed to aim my fog lights since they put the new one on and didn't bother.

As I am doing that it becomes apparent that the mounts are not equally spaced from the grill :confused: (closer on the damaged side). Now I really start looking her over, and I discover that the space btwn my front wheels and the fender flare is not equal (by 3/4 inch) either!

Sitting inside the engine bay inches from my belt is a 4" cube of hard plastic (probably part of the old rad support) just waiting to bounce up into my fan or belts and cause havoc. Naturally I get under and look at the "new OEM" rad support... it's TAPED together with ELECTRICAL TAPE!!!! (censored)(censored)(censored)

Needless to say we have a meeting scheduled for tomorrow ... (censored)'s are going to make it right or I will be contacting the insurance adjuster about fraud ... forthwith!

I can't freekin believe it! After all the research I did to find a reputable shop!
I swear they must have parked it, pushed and pulled all the plastics into shape and then hoped I would drive away and never look back.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
(censored)!

So I went out to touch up my hooks last night ... fun :D ... and realize that I needed to aim my fog lights since they put the new one on and didn't bother.

As I am doing that it becomes apparent that the mounts are not equally spaced from the grill :confused: (closer on the damaged side). Now I really start looking her over, and I discover that the space btwn my front wheels and the fender flare is not equal (by 3/4 inch) either!

Sitting inside the engine bay inches from my belt is a 4" cube of hard plastic (probably part of the old rad support) just waiting to bounce up into my fan or belts and cause havoc. Naturally I get under and look at the "new OEM" rad support... it's TAPED together with ELECTRICAL TAPE!!!! (censored)(censored)(censored)

Needless to say we have a meeting scheduled for tomorrow ... (censored)'s are going to make it right or I will be contacting the insurance adjuster about fraud ... forthwith!

I can't freekin believe it! After all the research I did to find a reputable shop!
I swear they must have parked it, pushed and pulled all the plastics into shape and then hoped I would drive away and never look back.

Damn Canuks!!!!

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but they laugh when they're looking at you.

They we're giving me that "man, he's kinda cute" look. :D

They we're a bunch of good lookin blondes too. :D

I think I might have met those dudes in Key West last year. Be careful Aaron, you never know whats under the skirt.

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
(censored)!

Man that *****! You must be pissed... hope they make it right or pay for it one way or the other!

Dave

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Ugh .. you can say that again! I just found 3 packages of brackets in the glove box ... (which I was told "oh it doesn't work yet because we have to put in the new grab handle" so I didn't even open it 'till now) They are all pass side air bag brackets! So I can safely assume the airbag is not installed either! (censored) They are treading very close to a dangerous line.

If I don't come home tomorrow with the boss's Grand Cherokee and a thousand apologies I am gonna flip!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
OMG :(
Take some photos before you show up at the shop. (proof of incompetence)
Missing a passenger side air-bag..I hope NOT !!!! (major liability) nono.gif
Keep us posted...WOW. Yeiks!

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Ugh .. you can say that again! I just found 3 packages of brackets in the glove box ... (which I was told "oh it doesn't work yet because we have to put in the new grab handle" so I didn't even open it 'till now) They are all pass side air bag brackets! So I can safely assume the airbag is not installed either! (censored) They are treading very close to a dangerous line.

If I don't come home tomorrow with the boss's Grand Cherokee and a thousand apologies I am gonna flip!

Go get 'em Luke!
I wish I lived closer...
I'd have a go with the bloke at the body shop!:D

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Luke, I know a couple of dudes in Orillia that'll do anything for a couple of bucks. Pete and Vincent DiTullio. They drive a Caprice Classic with LOTS of trunk space. Good luck with the retards at the shop where you had your KJ "fixed". Keep us posted.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Luke, I know a couple of dudes in Orillia that'll do anything for a couple of bucks. Pete and Vincent DiTullio. They drive a Caprice Classic with LOTS of trunk space. Good luck with the retards at the shop where you had your KJ "fixed". Keep us posted.

(rotflmao) .. I'll let ya know ...:D

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
OK .. what is this update #3 now I think?

I may have raised the unemployment rate just a bit today...

I got my thousand apologies and the boss's sincere commitment to make it right ... and "repair our relationship". I didn't get his GC but I did get another KK, on the house of course.

In their defense (possibly, and although all of this could have been avoided with just a little communication) the part that is wrapped in electrical tape is hard plastic "conduit" that sits directly in front of the rad support and houses wiring. Apparently it cannot be replaced ??? He said he was aware of it due to previous Liberty's with front end damage... they could not replace that part. Hmmm ... I cannot find it in the parts catalog so that lends to his theory but c'mon ... a highly replaceable part for front end damaged vehicles and they are not going to make money off of it ... something's still weird about that.

They have undertaken to fix my off center steering wheel, misaligned fender flares and look at the still crunched in front corner, and basically finish the rest of the job. He gave me his assurance that ATF4 was used in the trans. Which doesn't mean a whole lot at this point but that's about all I get if I'm going to go this route.

As for the airbag ... he pretty much was silent ... he was busted. I painted the scenario of tragedy, were my wife to be sitting in that seat without the safety of an airbag that I was lead to believe was functional. All he could say was that there was going to be an immediate meeting with his staff so that he could address some very serious concerns. Same goes for the hunk of plastic in the engine bay ... silence ...

As we were leaving the parking lot ... the loud speaker blared
"All body shop personnel please report the the managers office."

One other thing I have forgotten to mention ... when it first went into the shop I asked them if they could adjust my revs per mile to account for my larger tires. When I got it back they wrote on the invoice that it "was not possible to do" When I questioned the girl at the desk .. a tech that was standing nearby spoke up and said "Ya they can do it .. ". I asked again today and the manager say's some you can but on mine it cannot be adjusted. I have heard this before somewhere .. could he be right?

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Once you are satisfied,(hopefully that happens and soon) I would make so much noise that hopefully the next person is more informed about this shop by:
File a complaint with Better (LOL) business Bureau.
http://mwco.bbb.org/
and if they are an accredited (Inspection) service repair facility, find out where to file for Ont.
This kind of behavior is just too common in body shops.
The Name goes on before the Quality goes in..LOL.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I hear ya TC. I'll def. consider that.

I was fairly impressed by the manager's overall response and I do realize that sometimes things happen despite the best intentions ... we are all only human. So for now they get another chance.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
What did you expect Luke that once the manager knew that you knew there was no darn air bag installed.....
He realized that he was about to potentially face a lawsuit and loose business, of course his overall response had better be positive.
Tell him you want a gold plated antenna..and a full tank of gas...or else..LOL...
Considering the serious safety issue/negligence, if that would have been me, I would have had another shop confirm or deny that the passenger side air bag was or was not installed, before I would have even gone to the manager of your body shop.
Your Kj should have NEVER left the shop as you received it.
I wonder what the insurance company would think if they knew that they had been billed for the air bag that was not installed yet, and went out the door like that. There was probably nothing wrong with the handle but he used it as the excuse to get your KJ out the door,(big rush) he knew it had to come back in for something more serious and did not tell you DISHONESTY!
You now own him and you set the requirements and standards to be a completely satisfied customer.....OR....
1-800-dial a Lawyer....F&*k that noise!
Sorry if I sound angry..but really....shops like this should be closed.
I wonder what kind of record/reputation/this guy really has?
How many others have been taken or returned unsatisfied. This back and forth is time=money, completely unnecessary if someone cares about their quality of repairs/business.
A vehicle is only new once and better be put back together properly, unfortunately body shops too often perform poorly and pay their "often unlicensed" personnel the same.
At this point I would have a complete lack of confidence regarding this shop and considering the circumstances, demand that the insurance company pay for a Chrysler inspection of repairs and ensure that the new air bags function correctly, was installed correctly, a receipt by the body shop from Chrysler for the air bags etc..etc...
1-800- report a scam.

Last edited:

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Take a deep breath TC ... inhale ... exhale... :D

We will see how it all shakes out, but they are not exactly a fly by night operation they have been there for 36 years, and are the largest dealership in Ontario (north of Toronto). I think they have enough invested in their reputation to make sure that I am completely satisfied and hopefully learn from their mistake. Although time will tell...

"demand that the insurance company pay for a Chrysler inspection"
Chrysler did my repairs in the first place ...lol :D

http://www.centennialchrysler.ca/bodyshop.htm

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok I exhaled....
Can you tell I like body shops as much as dentists.
Actually it may be less painful to get your teeth pulled (freezing)
than watch you favorite KJ put back together with tape..and MIA Brackets and air-bag?
I had no idea it was a dealer. Wow....that makes me feel better then.
I sincerely hope that they get it all "straightened out" for you and your poor KJ.
After all it has feelings too.:)

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to defend the shop since they did some very obvious bad things.... But i know the part of which you speek thats wrapped with tape and he is right.

That plastic piece the wiring sits in was busted up on my 03' as well, though i don't know if its exactly the same but i suspect it is or very close. The shop that did the rebuild on the front end, my KJ was a Insurance Salvage, said the same thing on that piece and that they normally just tape it up to secure and protect the wiring as best as possible. I mentioned that they could maybe just put the harness in some split loom tubing and cable tie it with some anchors instead and they looked at me with the look that said "damn never thought of that!".

Anyway it hasn't caused any problems and the entire front end was replaced on mine. And then again most of it was replaced after i hit that F'ing Deer with it.... The shop that did that job was my normal body shop here in town and he said the work the other shop did was impressive, it had to be as it passed state inspection to have the vehicle titled and put back up for resale. Unfortunately my warranty with them wouldn't cover the damage done by the Deer hit but the insurance took care of it under Comp, and i still have powertrain warranty left.

Anyway, hope they make it all right for you!!

Did you ever look to see if the air bag was there though?? Because i know when a friend of mine took a similar hit to the front and popped the airbags it was replaced but she had some leftover parts in the cupholder when she got it back. I investigated and found that they actually just took the brackets off the old airbag and put them on the new one when they installed and set aside the brackets that came with it.

With the design of the KJ airbag you HAD to know if it was replaced because the dash won't go back together in that spot unless you really did something fraudulent like pull it apart and glue the outer piece back down so it didn't look popped out. But then you would have an Airbag light or CEL or both, not sure on the KJ, because that airbag module would fail the power test when you start it.

So my gut feeling here is that they DID indeed replace the airbag but had some parts left over. No lights on the dash i assume to indicate otherwise?