It'll never happen to me ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
*** UPDATE on Page 7 ***... *** UPDATE #2 on page 12 ***

Hi All ... glad to be here!

Setting : -5 C, Light snow, cleared 3 lane (each direction) Hwy, moderate to heavy traffic (Hwy 400 North for you Canucks)

Scenario : About 150 km's into a 200 km trip taking my daughter back to Toronto, Traveling in the centre lane at about 100 kph, No foreseeable danger or loss of traction or changing road conditions for 150 km's. No 4WD.

Hold ON : Heading up a slight hill ... Hit black ice... back end swings out ... kept my foot off the brake ... heading right toward the massive ditch ... correct to the left ... back end comes around and spins the Jeep.. at least one full revolution, maybe two (I was busy writing my will at the time) as we head towards the concrete median. Just enough time to tell the love of my life "It's OK .. just hold on!" and do the standard one arm out to protect the passenger move ... (ya that'll help)

SMACK : Hit 4ft concrete median, front drivers side and spin another half revolution... Air bags deploy, although they did nothing (thanks to the seat belts) for us except fill the cabin with smoke... I am now facing the flow of traffic neatly tucked in next to the median on the shoulder. After realizing that we were OK, I got out to look as traffic had slowed, no leaks, nothing impeding the front wheels ... get in turn the key and she starts as if nothing happened. No error codes, no warning lights, no broken lights, even the license plate is still on despite the shattered frame! She got me the rest of the 50km's home and drove as if nothing happened the whole way

PHEW! : Considering the the above I am soooo lucky ... lucky I had already dropped my daughter off, lucky I had just bought new tires, lucky I was able to bring it back to the centre of the hwy, and so lucky that absolutely no one was anywhere near us! which is rare on that Hwy at any time.

After I stopped traffic and turned around to get back facing the right direction on the Hwy I passed 2 other vehicles within 500ft of where I wrecked, both ended up in the same position I did against the median, both had deployed airbags, but they unfortunately were not driving home that night.

She is at the Jeep Dealer being looked at, and I was given hope that I'll get her back, but we shall see. You can tell that my tow hooks took most of the force of impact and although they are in perfect shape the mounts twisted the beam beyond belief. There can't be more than 2mm left between the rads and the bent metal, but no puncture. I would imagine the spinning motion at impact made the damage a lot less than it could have been.

You know you've already found your Jeep when they give you a new North Edition KK and you would still rather have yours back. :(

Cheers All,

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow...lucky dude! I'm glad you and your daughter are ok.

She doesn't look to be in too bad of shape. She can be fixed up for sure:)

I know I shouldn't do this but...Wranglers...*cringes*#-o...sry

Last edited:

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our flat hoods are the envy of all other KJ drivers. Please convince the insurance weiners to get it fixed, oh, and get it painted black while you're at it. On a serious note though, I'm glad to see you and the missus are OK.

AtoB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
glad youre ok...
she doesn't look too bad....

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I shouldn't do this but...Wranglers...*cringes*#-o...sry

Hey Rage. GoodYear makes alot of Wranglers. And they're not all crap. They look like the Silent Armor (it's in Luke's signature), not the GSA or SRA or whatever else might get you stuck. Hell man, I run Wranglers too, older MTRs with the RMA snowflake and mountain thingy and every once in a while I slip too. Especially uphill when the Jeep decides to downshift.

Last edited:

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Rage. GoodYear makes alot of Wranglers. And they're not all crap. They look like the Silent Armours (it's in Luke's signature), not the GSA or SRA or whatever else might get you stuck. Hell man, I run Wranglers too, older MTRs with the RMA snowflake and mountain thingy and every once in a while I slip too. Especially uphill when the Jeep decides to downshift.
It's just I've had bad experiences with different Wranglers over the years that, well, as soon as I see "Wrangler" I cringe. The silent armors are perhaps good, but most, if not all Wranglers are crappy OE tires. You couldn't pay me to run Wranglers no matter what version.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Glad you are OK and yes I bet you got home and cleaned out your drawers first thing:eek:#-o

NOW that comment about flat hoods! I hope they put a real hood and front on it instead of that wannabe flat hood!:D

But do paint it black !:D;)

All Wranglers are bad , come follow my DuraTracs :cool::p

Our flat hoods are the envy of all other KJ drivers. Please convince the insurance weiners to get it fixed, oh, and get it painted black while you're at it. On a serious note though, I'm glad to see you and the missus are OK.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Oh gawd....glad you and your daughter are ok....

So...the KK is a loaner/rental?

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Sounds scary - glad everyone is okay. :eek:

Hopefully the KJ fairs well too...

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off glad to hear your guys are ok!!

Second.... Looks to me like the KJ faired pretty damn well despite it all. I have seen worst than that appearance wise after an accident get fixed right up in less than a week in the local shop here.

Thw worst part is going to be the front lower rad support where it got bent up from the tow hooks getting pushed sideways, other than that it looks like new sheet metal and tweaking a few things. You said you still drove it another 50km, any shakes or pulling to one direction or other or did it drive straight? Looks to me like yet another KJ took a healthy dose and still protected its occupants just fine. Airbag deployment is scary, no matter what the situation is, and it ***** cause of the extra cost and cleanup, but at least it didn't look like you lost your windshield due to it. Seems every time i see airbags deployed the windshield is cracked.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Luke,
So glad that everyone is ok!
Severe impact, air bags go off, and you drive home, into dealer.
That is a Jeep.
Keep us posted how things go on the repairs, it does not look all that bad.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Thank's Y'all

Scary is a good adjective ... and yes new shorts were in order! :D

Kevlar MTR's are going on after the lift without a doubt , but there is no doubt in my mind that if I hadn't switched out the ST's for the Silent Armors I would not be writing this from my home, if at all.

Other than a ****-eyed steering wheel, no vibrations, 4WD worked normally, I'm sure it is out of alignment now but I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary... and believe me I was listening.

The weird thing is all of the little things that were wrong with her when I bought her are all in the areas effected ...lol. cracked headlight support, cracked fog light lens, cracked left turn lens, bent in Jeep logo on steering wheel ... ok I did that from pounding the horn at random idiot drivers. :D

I try not to think about what would have happened if I was driving ...something like ... TBJ's Paseo for example ... lol

Last edited:

brucebotti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Luke,
Glad that you all are okay. I guess your Rene' served you well and did a great job of protecting you. Keep us posted.
Bruce

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not sure if an MTR tire would handle that type of road conditions very well or not. I would much rather have a good a/t tire like you have over an MTR for onroad driving.

Over anything driving for the road conditions is the best thing you can do. Glad everything turned out ok.

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Luke, glad everyone is OK, that must have been scary!

When did this happen? Coming in to the city today the highway was crap, you'd think they'd plow it before rush hour. Radio was reporting icy conditions and accidents, and I saw 3 or 4 on my way.

Once again a Liberty takes a licking and keeps on ticking!

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Ya .. sry I meant Tom's Dura tracs anyway ...

KK is a rental from AVIS via insurance ... I just said it had to be a 4x4 with some ground clearance or I wouldn't be able to get up my driveway ... when I arrived there it was all freshly washed.. that lasted about 2 minutes :D

Thanks again for the kind words ... It almost always comes down to driver error, I just wasn't ready for the dreaded downshift on ice. I can tell you though ... I am through babying my transfer case .. I would rather replace it if I can reduce the chances of ever going through that ever again. I'm not talking hard turns on ashphalt or anything but my PT light with be glowing a lot more often and I'll be spending more on gas :D

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Hey Luke, glad everyone is OK, that must have been scary!

When did this happen? Coming in to the city today the highway was crap, you'd think they'd plow it before rush hour. Radio was reporting icy conditions and accidents, and I saw 3 or 4 on my way.

Once again a Liberty takes a licking and keeps on ticking!

First accident in 24 years of driving in Canadian winter. I've been saving up I guess ...it was quite hellish!About 3:30 on New Years day, afternoon near Hwy 9, I think ... I didn't stick around to find out exactly where I was, but the next time I drive past there i bet I will get a chill!
It's pretty nasty up here, it's been snowing for the past 3 or 4 days with hardly any breaks.

But I love it!
And I think this is officially going to be my year after surviving that!

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can tell you though ... I am through babying my transfer case .. I would rather replace it if I can reduce the chances of ever going through that ever again. I'm not talking hard turns on ashphalt or anything but my PT light with be glowing a lot more often and I'll be spending more on gas :D

That's the tough part when you only have 4HI (Part time)... there are those "questionable" times when the road appears wet, maybe snowy/slushy with wet or even bare-looking tracks, you think it's ok then next thing you know you're slippin and slidin...