issues starting up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Angie

Reaction score
ok so far since I have had my baby I have had to replace a thermostat housing for a leak problem but when we went to replace the housing my husband broke the alternator bracket so have place that now she wont start. replaced the battery and the battery light came on again.....any thoughts

Angie

Reaction score
yes it's plugged back in but I dk if it is the fuse itself that might be blown or the alternator or worse

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes it's plugged back in but I dk if it is the fuse itself that might be blown or the alternator or worse
Did you disconnect the battery before unhooking the alt? If not I'd be looking at the fuses and relays.You could have fried the PCM also since the voltage regulator is inside the PCM and not part of the Alt.

Angie

Reaction score
that little bolt hole that lifts the alternator up and keeps the belt tight snapped right in half

Angie

Reaction score
not that I know of but the fuses are the all blacks so im assuming that you can't tell if they are blown or not...so gonna try replacing all of them

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not that I know of but the fuses are the all blacks so im assuming that you can't tell if they are blown or not...so gonna try replacing all of them

What do you mean all the blacks? The large black cubes are relays...there are fuses next to the relays under the hood and also fuses in the fuse box inside the cabin. You ideally need a Multimeter to check the fuses.

Check the small connector going to the alternator has not pulled out...this controls the charging rate...controlled by the PCM.

The large thick cable coming from the alternator to the positive side of the battery actually has a "fusable" link inbedded inside it near to the battery terminal. This is a type of heavy-duty fuse that will blow if you touched that wire to ground with a wrench while doing your repairs.

You need a voltmeter...put the black lead of the meter to ground some where.ie. the engine or use the negative terminal on the battery. If you place the red meter lead on the battery positive lead you should read about 12 volts (DUHH:jawdrop:). Now if you move that red meter lead along that fat wire going to the alternator you should also expect to see 12 volts unless the "fusable" link has blown!

Angie

Reaction score
ok I have found what I think is a fusable link its two plugs male and female connected together near the positive battery terminal but I traced the line and it doesnt seem to go to the alternator it looks like it goes down towards the bottom of the engine. am I looking for a fuse or something else. also if im correct there is only one red wire coming from the alternator to the battery and a ground.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok I have found what I think is a fusable link its two plugs male and female connected together near the positive battery terminal but I traced the line and it doesnt seem to go to the alternator it looks like it goes down towards the bottom of the engine. am I looking for a fuse or something else. also if im correct there is only one red wire coming from the alternator to the battery and a ground.

I dont know what year your KJ is but my 2002 circuit diagram shows that the 2.4 Gasser has a Black/Grey wire going from the alternator...connecting to a Dark Green fusable link which connects first to the Power Distribution Center which is the fuse box under the hood and then to the battery. I do not always trust these diagrams though...the main thing is that you must get a reading of +12 volts on the thick wire at the alternator compared to ground even when ignition is switched OFF.

There should also be a grounding lead for the alternator going to ground and another small two-pin connector plugging into the alternator..Dark Green wire and White/Dark Blue wire.....this is what energizes the alternator to produce the correct charging voltage...maybe you knocked this plug off?:icon_sad: