Is 54K too old to switch to synthetic oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can pick up a 5qt jug of Mobil 1 Extended Performance(true full synthetic) at Wallmart for like $26.5w-30 is the recommended weight,not 0w-30.

Synthetic in diffs has proven not to be the best,well at least for HP axles.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can pick up a 5qt jug of Mobil 1 Extended Performance(true full synthetic) at Wallmart for like $26.5w-30 is the recommended weight,not 0w-30.

I agree. I've seen it on sale for $22 for the past weeks. i stock pile M1 and pure one purolator oil filters for my KJs. I buy 4 jugs and filters and i'm good for a year.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score

0W-30 is perfectly fine in an engine that requires 5W-30 or 10W-30.

As for the diffs, follow Chrysler's recommendations.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually no it's not,been tested with a calibrated mechanical oil pressure gauge.To much free flowing even at cold temps(heck any temp),no matter how better it sounds,can actually do more harm then good.
So your saying that 0W-30 is too thin?

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So your saying that 0W-30 is too thin?
It can be for a engine that was speced for 5w-** oil.Now at -65 actual temp it may be beneficial(how often you going to be exposed to that low of temps?) but can actually prolong the metal-to-metal contact at say 65 degrees by a few milli-seconds but those extra milli-seconds add up fast.Thinner multi-viscosity oils(the 0W or 5W part) can take longer to form that buffer between the crank and main bearings and such since it needs to warm up more before it is thick enough to maintain that buffer zone.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It can be for a engine that was speced for 5w-** oil.Now at -65 actual temp it may be beneficial(how often you going to be exposed to that low of temps?) but can actually prolong the metal-to-metal contact at say 65 degrees by a few milli-seconds but those extra milli-seconds add up fast.Thinner multi-viscosity oils(the 0W or 5W part) can take longer to form that buffer between the crank and main bearings and such since it needs to warm up more before it is thick enough to maintain that buffer zone.
FYI

I can only speak about German Castrol (Castrol Syntec 0W-30), but at cold temps, the 0w weight correlates to cold cranking viscosity(you probably already knew that). Which means that German Castrol will still flow at cold temps. Which is a good thing IMO since I live in Canada. At normal operating temps, the 30 weight is actually close to a 40 weight. Actually German Castrol is one of the thickest 30 weight oils around. So, an engine made for 5W-30 or 10W-30 will absolutely love German Castrol. It's also certified for more engines/manufacturers than any other oil on the market.

Detailed specs here: http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/b...local_assets/downloads/p,q/pds_syntec_usa.pdf

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI

I can only speak about German Castrol (Castrol Syntec 0W-30), but at cold temps, the 0w weight correlates to cold cranking viscosity(you probably already knew that). Which means that German Castrol will still flow at cold temps. Which is a good thing IMO since I live in Canada. At normal operating temps, the 30 weight is actually close to a 40 weight. Actually German Castrol is one of the thickest 30 weight oils around. So, an engine made for 5W-30 or 10W-30 will absolutely love German Castrol. It's certified for more engines/manufacturers than any other oil on the market.

Detailed specs here: http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/b...local_assets/downloads/p,q/pds_syntec_usa.pdf
If it specs for 40wieght it would be labeled as 0w-40,plan and simple.You can not have a oil labeled,and sold,as 0w-30 when it is actually spec'ed at 0w-40 legally and they would be facing a big lawsuit.Most places in Canada will never get cold enough to warrant 0w oil.5w-30 and 10w-30 will flow the same as 0w-30 at freezing,heck even at -20 degrees.Like I stated the only benefit of the 0w-30 is if regularly see -65 degrees or colder temps.That low of weight,like I also stated,will do more harm then any good in warmer temps.Just because a oil "meets" a manufacture's requirements does not mean it is a good oil for that manufacture or engine,just they meet the bare min specs.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it specs for 40wieght it would be labeled as 0w-40,plan and simple.You can not have a oil labeled,and sold,as 0w-30 when it is actually spec'ed at 0w-40 legally and they would be facing a big lawsuit.Most places in Canada will never get cold enough to warrant 0w oil.5w-30 and 10w-30 will flow the same as 0w-30 at freezing,heck even at -20 degrees.Like I stated the only benefit of the 0w-30 is if regularly see -65 degrees or colder temps.That low of weight,like I also stated,will do more harm then any good in warmer temps.Just because a oil "meets" a manufacture's requirements does not mean it is a good oil for that manufacture or engine,just they meet the bare min specs.
Someone didn't take time to read the spec sheet...[-X

Anyway, GC has been proven time and time again to be a great oil. It's beloved by the people and engines that use it. So...I ain't gonna be drawn into your rhetoric. Sorry.poke.gif

BTW, engine spec certification is not some joke. German Castrol earned those certifications by going through very rigorous tests.

I don't want to get into this back and forth war of words with ya. But...google is your friend. Won't hurt you to use sometimes.:eek:

Aside from that everything is cool(Cheers)

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone didn't take time to read the spec sheet...[-X

Anyway, GC has been proven time and time again to be a great oil. It's beloved by the people and engines that use it. So...I ain't gonna be drawn into your rhetoric. Sorry.poke.gif

BTW, engine spec certification is not some joke. German Castrol earned those certifications by going through very rigorous tests.

I don't want to get into this back and forth war of words with ya. But...google is your friend. Won't hurt you to use sometimes.:eek:

Aside from that everything is cool(Cheers)
Sorry I don't trust alot found on the internet,actual experience is far more useful.Soon as you balance and blue-print a engine you will understand that all that mumbo jumbo they say is false and revert to the tried and true,nothing on the net will fully explain that.

Boiler

Reaction score
http://www.mobil.com/usa-english/lubes/pds/glxxenpvlmomobil1_5w-30.asp

Synthetics usually have expanded operable temperature ranges at each end of the spectrum. This is one of the main reasons I use it. We've had -25 F more times than I'd like. I think a pour point of -48 degrees C (-54 F) is probably acceptable for cold starting for just about any climage. We put it in our trucks we build for Alaskan airports. I'd agree that its a good idea to stick with the specified 5w-30. I don't know that 0w-30 would hurt, but it's not necessary.

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I don't trust alot found on the internet,actual experience is far more useful.Soon as you balance and blue-print a engine you will understand that all that mumbo jumbo they say is false and revert to the tried and true,nothing on the net will fully explain that.

Sorry to be argumentative but the world of information available to us on the net surpasses anything we have learned from building race engines. Our hands on has only allowed us to discern the bad info from the good.

One example is our dyno information on the oil weight vs h.p. info was hands on but info from internet research explained why the h.p. wasn't maintained during the life of the oil.

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see a lot of discussion on 5W-30 vs 0W-30. Someone explain this to me. A multi-vis oil is a light oil with modifiers added to bring it up to the desired max weight. We know the manufacturer uses their 5 weight + viscosity improvers to = 30 weight. How can there possibly be a 0W-anything ?????

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "0W" is just a certain viscosity range at a certain temp. At operating temp, a 0W30 and a 10W30 and a 30 will all flow the same; the engine will not know the difference!

You're right: most multi-vis is made by adding polymers. However, some oils, because of high-quality base oils, need no or very little help to be multi-vis. I believe AMSOIL has a 30 that meets 10W30 specs, too.

AtoB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you guys are losing me....
am i OK to use 0W-30 Castrol Syntec?

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you guys are losing me....
am i OK to use 0W-30 Castrol Syntec?
Yes absolutely. 0W-30, 5W-30 and 10W-30 are all 30 weight oils and all compatible with each other. You can use anyone of them in an engine requiring 5W-30. Don't let the old school rhetoric get in the way of you using one of the best engine oils on the market today. Your 3.7 will love you for feeding it German Castrol.

Last edited:

AtoB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes absolutely. 0W-30, 5W-30 and 10W-30 are all 30 weight oils and all compatible with each other. You can use anyone of them in an engine requiring 5W-30. Don't let the old school rhetoric get in the way of you using one of the best engine oils on the market today. Your 3.7 will love you for feeding it German Castrol.

thanks!;)

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "0W" is just a certain viscosity range at a certain temp. At operating temp, a 0W30 and a 10W30 and a 30 will all flow the same; the engine will not know the difference!

You're right: most multi-vis is made by adding polymers. However, some oils, because of high-quality base oils, need no or very little help to be multi-vis. I believe AMSOIL has a 30 that meets 10W30 specs, too.

While that makes sense to me I have always seen the technical explanation of manufacturer to be base plus VIIs. Also I know some base oils requires very little VIIs but the current line of 0Ws haven't reavhed that yet. Can you point me to a change to viscosity range ratings. This is new to me.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While that makes sense to me I have always seen the technical explanation of manufacturer to be base plus VIIs. Also I know some base oils requires very little VIIs but the current line of 0Ws haven't reavhed that yet. Can you point me to a change to viscosity range ratings. This is new to me.
For your reading pleasure :

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/b...local_assets/downloads/p,q/pds_syntec_usa.pdf

http://www.lubrizol.com/EuropeanEngineOils/A3B408.html

http://www.worldsbestoil.ca/which-30-weight-oil.php

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=718643&page=1