Is 54K too old to switch to synthetic oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AtoB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am bringing my jeep in for some winter service and would love to switch over but have heard it may start leaking

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I got Jeep at 120000+ miles,use syn.since then,now at 186000+ no problems,engine is dry on outside.I change at 3000 or less.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just started putting full synthetic in my Fiancee's 02 Kj and it has 125k on it. I also run my 06 KJ with full synthetic since I got the jeep. i change both vehicles every 6 months.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
54k is a good time to switch to syn.
When I bought my kj at 36k previous owner had conventional dealer oil changes, the first thing I did was have them do a real engine oil flush, and new Mobil 1 synthetic installed.
I now change my own fluids (except transmission) and keep the oil filter cap and tube clean, change pcv once every 18 months. No leaks, I like the K&N filter as it has a 1 inch nut on bottom to make removal easy.

AtoB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
synthetic it is....
any oil recommendations? Castrol Syntec 0W-30?
i want something that is easy to find on the shelf...
my main car uses Castrol 10w60... its impossible to find

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
synthetic it is....
any oil recommendations? Castrol Syntec 0W-30?
i want something that is easy to find on the shelf...
my main car uses Castrol 10w60... its impossible to find

Castrol Syntec 0w-30 "made in germany" is easy to find here where I live. Wal mart and Canadian Tire carry it. You should be able to find it in the US at PepBoys, AutoZone, etc.

It's a TRUE synthetic and totally worth it IMO.

You must be registered for see images

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GC is a great oil. However, the others mentioned are certainly not bad. The performance of an oil is dependant on the add pack just as much as the base oil.

The group III oils mentioned (PP, QS) are very good oils, as is M1, which I'm not convinced is group III. Show me the proof. Mobil is very tight-lipped about the base oil used in M1, so therefore comes the internet legend that it must be group III. I know of one spectrograph analysis done on it, and the results were inconclusive. It could very well be that M1 uses a group III/IV blend for the base, but lets not go stating that as fact. Only Mobil knows for sure, and they sure aren't saying.

Any of the oils mentioned in the thread would serve well.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying that M1 or Pennzoil Platinum aren't good oils. I'm just saying that German Castrol is a notch above them is all. If you can get your hands on GC, then by all means go for it.

AtoB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Castrol Syntec 0w-30 "made in germany" is easy to find here where I live. Wal mart and Canadian Tire carry it. You should be able to find it in the US at PepBoys, AutoZone, etc.

It's a TRUE synthetic and totally worth it IMO.

thanks! just picked up 6 quarts.

AtoB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for all the responses guys.
any other recommendations on fluids?
differential, transmission, and coolant?...
since i bought it used, and have no idea when the fluids were changed, i figured i'd play it safe and get them all done.

A

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trans: ATF+4 (brand not important, as long as ATF+4)
Coolant: G-05
Diff: synthetic is good!

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diff: synthetic is good!
80W-90 gear & axle lube in the front, 75W-90 synthetic gear lube in the rear(75W-140 synthetic if you tow) + limited-slip additive if you have a LSD.

Last edited: