Is 54K too old to switch to synthetic oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
grouphug.gif

lol3.gif
Didn't mean to offend anyone...when I stick to my guns, I stick to em tightly haha. So instead of continuing to butt heads, let's just agree to disagree and end it.:eek:

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some see this as childish but I choose to believe somebody out there learned from it. Never really a problem if we can all have a beer afterward.

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me first say that I don't use 0W30; I run syn 5W30. However, I believe that a quality 0W30 is a good thing.

Imagine a bottle of 0W30 at ambient temp, say 70*F. Shake it, feel how the oil flows in the bottle. Now, imagine a bottle of 5W30 or 10W30 at 250*F (or wherever your 3.7 runs for oil temp). How do you think that feels in the bottle? (Besides hot, of course!) Alot thinner than the 0W30 at 70*F, yes? Now, if you think that 5W30 can protect your engine at operating temp, how can the 0W30 be too thin at startup? Think about it.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Some see this as childish but I choose to believe somebody out there learned from it. Never really a problem if we can all have a beer afterward.

I've yet to have a problem that can't be solved by beer...:D

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me first say that I don't use 0W30; I run syn 5W30. However, I believe that a quality 0W30 is a good thing.

Imagine a bottle of 0W30 at ambient temp, say 70*F. Shake it, feel how the oil flows in the bottle. Now, imagine a bottle of 5W30 or 10W30 at 250*F (or wherever your 3.7 runs for oil temp). How do you think that feels in the bottle? (Besides hot, of course!) Alot thinner than the 0W30 at 70*F, yes? Now, if you think that 5W30 can protect your engine at operating temp, how can the 0W30 be too thin at startup? Think about it.

Did I ever tell you I once owned a '65 Belvedere II and a '69 Satellite?

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool! Which engines did they have?

'65 was my first car (it's true you never your first ...) and it was a 383/4 sp./3.?? l.s. I bought it in late '67. 2 sets of tires and a year later a friend of mine totaled it.
You must be registered for see images attach

'69 was a 318/auto I bought for my wife just before going into the U.S. Army. We kept it until '73 and traded it for a new Charger.
You must be registered for see images

Sorry for the bad pics. It's all I have from back-in-the-day.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
'65 was my first car (it's true you never your first ...) and it was a 383/4 sp./3.?? l.s. I bought it in late '67. 2 sets of tires and a year later a friend of mine totaled it.
You must be registered for see images attach

'69 was a 318/auto I bought for my wife just before going into the U.S. Army. We kept it until '73 and traded it for a new Charger.
You must be registered for see images

Sorry for the bad pics. It's all I have from back-in-the-day.

Redbone....Those are nice. The 65 probably had 3.55 rear gears (not sure). I had a 69 340 Cuda (bought new) with a 4 speed and 3.55 rear (if I can remember the gear ratio properly).

Anyway, a friend at the time had a 65 Plym with a 426 hemi in it and we did a tune up and couldn't change the last plug on the drivers side as the power brake unit was in the way right over where the plug was recessed into the valve cover. We changed all but that one...it still went like heck....haha

The 65 brings back memories.

Dave

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Way cool, Redbone! Thanks for sharing the pics.