intermittent no crank no start 02

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
02 3.7

first time it happened was a few weeks ago to my wife, then after a min or so it fired right up, no more problems till 3 days latter same thing, turn the key lights come on, but no noise, not trying to start, nothing

I checked battery and connectors

I figured it was the transmission range sensor so I told her to move the shifter if it happens again to neutral and push on it,

well hasn't had an issue in weeks, then this morning she couldn't star the jeep

firs time I saw it happen, I get it try starting it nothing, move the shifter back and forth, still nothing

finally after 6 tries it fired right up like nothing was wrong

she is at work right now,

suggestions on what to check

I was thinking ignition actuator but if that broke wouldn't the jeep not start till it got fixed?

I do not believe it has anti-theft, will double check tonight when she gets home

thanks for any help

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Starter solenoid going bad, starter solenoid loose on starter(causing intermittent loss of ground), starter loose on block (causing same), wires loose on starter, etc. When a electrical malfunction is totally random, a loose connection is always most likely.

Bob

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had those same issues on my 2002 with the 3.7. My issue was the starter. Easy enough replacment, but look over some of the threads and how tos on here first.

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks guys, I will check out the starter/replace it this weekend,
any place else to check besides the starter and wires at the starter?
thanks

Starter solenoid going bad, starter solenoid loose on starter(causing intermittent loss of ground), starter loose on block (causing same), wires loose on starter, etc. When a electrical malfunction is totally random, a loose connection is always most likely.

Bob

bobm38 said it all. agree.

Had those same issues on my 2002 with the 3.7. My issue was the starter. Easy enough replacment, but look over some of the threads and how tos on here first.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do all of the above things and swap over the Starter Relay inside the relay box under the hood with an identical one nearby.

Also make sure the battery connections are clean and tight, the negative battery lead going to ground is clean and tight and the earthing strap grounding the engine to chassis is clean and tight both ends.

Solenoid could be on its way out or the starter motor could have a dead spot on its commutator or a bad brush or two on the commutator.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
^ all of the above & I would not mind coming over to assist....
53160[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Just a little love tap on that starter may make it work again... :icon_lol:

Attachments

• BFSledgeHammer.jpg
    BFSledgeHammer.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 0