Interior LED Replacements

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed my map lights and rear cargo light to LED. Looks amazing and lights up my car like daylight. The problem I have been having though is that the LEDs stay on (dim not bright) while driving. Enough so that it makes driving at night unsafe. They do not stay on when parked. I have read on multiple forums that other people have this problem but I haven't seen it with KJs. Some have installed resistors others have said that the wiring has issues. Has anyone had any experience with this or knows something about the KJ wiring?

Here are the lights I use.

Two of these for the map lights.
194 LED Bulb - 15 SMD LED Wedge Base Tower | Miniature Wedge Base LEDs | LED Car Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs

One of these for the cargo.
578 LED Bulb - 9 LED Festoon | Festoon Base Bulbs | LED Car Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easy fix would be to install a switch. Resistor could work also but not 100% sure that would work, but I don't perfectly know how the BCM circuit work.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure you need load resistors to get the LED lights to go all the way out. I just deal with it. The benefits far outweigh the costs. It's just another dim light to me, such as dash lights, HU lights, etc.

Loki007420

Reaction score
Im using the same lights and the only time i notice them staying on (which is only for a few mins) is when i have had them on for awhile. Like loading the car with the hatch open or doors for a couple of mins..

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've not done this mod yet but one suggestion I've seen on another forum is to keep one of the incandescent bulbs in line but hidden from view - for instance one of the courtesy lights. The remaining incandescent courtesy bulb will provide sufficient resistance to tell the BCM that there is a load on the circuit and therefore dim the lights completely.

Bob

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya mine are brighter. I got the cool blue (brightest one they have). Sorry for the crappy pic it was taken on my iphone.

Attachments

• 8614506060_bac515ca09_k.jpg
    8614506060_bac515ca09_k.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 8613400041_10e1bbb4d0_k.jpg
    8613400041_10e1bbb4d0_k.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 39

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Miracle! I hit a pot hole on the way to work today and they turned off. Still work properly and fully lit, but now they don't stay on while driving. Loose wiring or a bad solder but whatever. I am not questioning it haha

blackvyper

Reaction score
It's normal for these LED lights to have a dim glow while the vehicle is running. I have been using them on the Autobahn for the past 18 months or so with speeds in excess of 105mph with no problem so I'm quite sure they'll be ok for use on a KJ in the US.

crazyjeepkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have the overhead console in my jeep. how do i swap those lights for leds?

mikeandamy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have the overhead console in my jeep. how do i swap those lights for leds?

Good question. I am looking to deo the same thing. I have read to VERY CAREFULLY pry the plastic lens open.

When i looked at mine i saw there was a screw near the windshield that if i took out the whole piece may come off.

I'm going to order the bulbs this week so if i get at it this weekend I'll let ya know....

Members online

No members online now.