Assorted interior lights staying on post-battery-drain and recharge…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boueux

Reaction score
New to us KJ, she’s a beauty, but here we go, bucking off the blocks..

the battery died the second night here. Post-drain and recharge, with the same battery reinstalled, I note that several interior lights aren’t cutting off.. namely, the clock, the LED on the rear view mirror and the window buttons on the center console aft of gearshift, all in a convenient center cockpit swath..

Have looked for a twisty dimmer that might operate them without luck. Why wouldn’t they be cutting off?

Could these all be on one fuse? If so, would it hurt to pull that until it’s in the shop next week? I’ve already discovered that locking doors manually and last door closed with the physical key, stops anti theft from being turned on, because I’m concerned even that could drain the battery again. It’s also an old battery, ie three yr old Interstate with a one yr warranty, but putting in a new battery will only subject that to the same draining action until the culprit is identified. Any suggestions appreciated.

Last edited:

MsRandiCook

Cookie
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Parasitic current draws can be isolated by using a multimeter between the removed battery cable at the battery post through the meter on the cable end.

Start pulling one fuse at a time. You should pull them all to make sure you don't have more than one pulling current.

This way you can either fix it yourself or you can advise your mechanic and save repair money

Best of luck!
You must be registered for see images attach

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parasitic current draws can be isolated by using a multimeter between the removed battery cable at the battery post through the meter on the cable end.

Start pulling one fuse at a time. You should pull them all to make sure you don't have more than one pulling current.

This way you can either fix it yourself or you can advise your mechanic and save repair money

Best of luck!
This is good advice but you can expect a small amount of current draw as the PCM, ECM, BCM etc. will draw a small amount of current! It is worth disconnecting the battery completely and draining out any capacitance in the system by touching the Positive battery lead to chassis for a few minutes....battery disconnected of course...then reconnecting the battery again.

And do not hold the end of the meter leads with bare hands as the human body is a conductor of electricity...wear some rubber gloves!

I would suspect the Multifunction Switch. ....the switch with the stalks for turn signals!;)

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you say "the window buttons," do you mean the windows still operate long after the key is removed from the ignition?

From what you described, it sounds like you may have a problem with the body control module not going to "sleep" when it's otherwise supposed to. You should check for codes with a capable scanner to see if there's anything related to that.

Take a voltage reading on individual fuses to determine which circuit(s) the mirror LED and interior lights are on. Here's a vid that describes what I mean:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
T

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might need to replace the electrical part of the ignition switch
My clock and lights on the window switches are on with the ignition switch in accessory position

Boueux

Reaction score
ALL highly appreciated responses.. @MsRandiCook @Billwill @Ksat @Jeremy-WI

I feel like I’m standing in a garage with the four of you. What a wonderful community here. KUDOS and much appreciation. I’ll be clicking Like on everything, it’s only a small thing but every click helps, I say.

Sadly, I didn’t Ck the well lit window buttons aft of the shifter to see if they would raise and lower the windows after key was out.. and now.. Bat Dead.
but excellent question, thanks.

Id ask.. was it doing this before and nobody is saying.. or.. what did I do to cause it? I noticed the cd changer got stuck in a loop after the bat was reconnected.. so I turned the ign off and back on and it stopped.

Sometimes reconnecting the battery can zap something? Granted, something was causing a draw in the first place.. like.. anny unnoticed interior lights on overnight? because the three insistent interior lights weren’t on then, and we’d locked it manually without the antitheft blinking due to local wildlife and not wanting to wake up to honking.

So.. initially low voltage on first OBD scan, then something drained it to near bottom.. and then the new three lights on situation appeared after recharge. Just trying to run through the flow chart here.. any suggestions appreciated.

Now recharging and will attempt Multimeter testing.. and see how that goes, but it may be something our new and highly-rated mechanic will have to take on next week.

This car came to us with a one year battery bought in 2020. So it may just be time, though I don’t want to just throw a new bat at a vampire draw. The seller says they had absolutely no issue with it and it was test driven, driven to the shop at our request, but. they’ll pay for a new battery.

In the interim, there is an unfortunate smell of exhaust in the cabin, which has made me wonder if I can’t just plug a smoke detector with a CO monitor on it into an extension cord and see iF it shrieks?

I love the truck, we picked it with intent.. it’s in nearly new condition and was thankfully garage kept by some serious individual.. so much so that the dark grease marks inside of only the drivers or handle MUST have been from some recent commercial wrencher who needs to learn about GoJo. [ I like darker interiors, but whaddya do?] but. we paid enough for this not to be running us through these hoops at the get-go.

We bought a pretty comprehensive 2 yr wty. We.Will.See.

Last edited:

MsRandiCook

Cookie
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Such kind words and appreciated thanks! We have varried life experiences and truly want to help!

Mystery issues in electrical can drive you to the nut house.
Nothing but the best to your Jeep experience!

Last edited:

Boueux

Reaction score
Kindness is the currency of greatest value.

says I.

oh and

Never trust a man who showers in a hedge.
[ Irish Spring, lol ]

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I've had good luck with Interstate batteries. I just charged one for a neighbor that only showed 3 volts. Good for 5 years in my CRD and still starting the old cold Ford at 11 years old.

It could have a bad cell that will draw the others down at rest. Disconnect the battery when you park (or charge it). Let it sit disconnected overnight and then check cell voltages by dipping one voltmeter probe into the acid of each cell.

Boueux

Reaction score
Ohhhk.. the things you’d never think to do. I was under the impression it was a maintenance free Interstate with sealed cells, but will certainly look.

we need a new voltmeter anyway.. if the acid eats it up, heh heh.
Your expertise is appreciated :) thank you @turblediesel :)

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an 06, the window switches remain illuminated; the clock and mirror are off when ignition is off.

Boueux

Reaction score
Very odd. Why would anything ( other than AntiTheft ) remain on when the vehicle is off and key removed?

is this yet another engineering/design flaw that makes “ Smart “ features oxymoronic?

Hey yall
lemme ask you this.. does leaving a USB adapter in the lighter port drain KJ batteries? In other words, is the lighter port wired to work when the key is out of the ignition?

Last edited:

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very odd. Why would anything ( other than AntiTheft ) remain on when the vehicle is off and key removed?

is this yet another engineering/design flaw that makes “ Smart “ features oxymoronic?

Hey yall
lemme ask you this.. does leaving a USB adapter in the lighter port drain KJ batteries? In other words, is the lighter port wired to work when the key is out of the ignition?
A USB charger in the cig lighter port shouldn't drain a battery unless you are drawing a lot of power through it. I leave mine plugged in in my 2006

MsRandiCook

Cookie
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hey yall

It shouldn't. The relay should shut down after you pull the key and exit the vehicle. Now this might be a stuck relay?

Hmmmmm

Boueux

Reaction score
And… what about the little screen on the left of glove box/dash handle that reports that the passenger airbag is off? This didn’t happen on Day 1. It actually happened only after the drained and recharged battery had been replaced And a 200 lb man was sitting in front passenger seat.. no seatbelt on. Turn key, light shows passenger airbag is off, then it goes off.

Is that part of the startup process, to have that warning show up and disappear? like every dash warning light to come on and then each go back off? Like a preflight check of some sort? Appreciated..

Boueux

Reaction score
Ok.. potentially stuck relay.. in what? Ignition module?

@MsRandiCook
..do you think this is like that joke about the three engineers in the car that won’t start? Where after the others have tried all of the belts and cables, the previously silent computer engineer says “ why don’t we all get out of the car and get back in?”
in that, all of these glitches sometimes appear to suss themselves out after a number of restarts? Perhaps removing the battery to recharge it is a trigger for addl glitches? Because I’m seeing others previous Qs here showing things like these start to happen after battery disconnects.

I see I’m used to earlier dumber cars, where the human was the so-called smart part ;)

MsRandiCook

Cookie
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok.. potentially stuck relay.. in what? Ignition module?

@MsRandiCook
..do you think this is like that joke about the three engineers in the car that won’t start? Where after the others have tried all of the belts and cables, the previously silent computer engineer says “ why don’t we all get out of the car and get back in?”
in that, all of these glitches sometimes appear to suss themselves out after a number of restarts? Perhaps removing the battery to recharge it is a trigger for addl glitches? Because I’m seeing others previous Qs here showing things like these start to happen after battery disconnects.

I see I’m used to earlier dumber cars, where the human was the so-called smart part ;)

I don't think this is a joke. Why would you say that? I'm offended that you would even say that!

The ECM sends out all kinds of commands including, some power up and relay commands, before and after starting.

I'm trying to help with out a schematic. I'll just keep quiet.

Boueux

Reaction score
Oh no. That was me being silly. I was comparing the joke to what I’m reading the system appears to do in instances of battery disconnect. Please. take no offense. I apologize profusely for any misunderstanding And sincerely appreciate your input and knowledge.

I was trying to convey that it appears in other cases, people experience some glitchy behavior after the battery has been disconnected. like interior lights misbehaving , but- like with computers, that after a couple of restarts ( “get out of the car and get back in” ) these things can sometimes clear themselves up. make sense? I meant absolutely no offense. I’m so sorry.

I was just trying ( apparently poorly ) to ask if a reset would help. Please accept my apology, @MsRandiCook

Here’s a link to the actual joke.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

It isn’t meant to be funny, but informative.. showing how getting out (or exiting the system / shutting down / restarting) and getting back in, can often “ fix “ things without much of anything further being necessary..

that’s all I meant.

Last edited:

Boueux

Reaction score
Whew. that was awful. I certainly never want to make anyone feel bad. So I hope we’re on the same Haynes Manual page, now :)

Last edited: