in the market for a kj

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Just be sure to check the front ball joints. What years are you looking at? Then we can tell you what to look out for.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It depends on what you are looking for. The 2002 models sit nearly 1" taller since Jeep lowered them after a magazine rolled it. The 02 also has a tougher transmission sourced out of the Dakota (45RFE), where the newer models have the 42RLE. Finally, older models have disc drakes front and drums rear, where the newer models have discs all the way around. That's really the only major things I can think of short of personal preference. The CRD models also had a very short run so are relatively hard to find. As Marlon said, there is the common issues regarding the ball joints, but that should have been handled under recall by a dealership.

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stick with the 2002-2004 models so you get window regulators that don't break. The later model years suffer from serious cost cutting measures on the window regulators that results in failures on a regular basis (I.E. replacement parts are just as bad as the broken ones)

The 2002 is the best model year - drum brakes in the rear mean you have a good parking brake.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Get an 02-04, otherwise an 05. The 06-07 have shorter brakelines, thus making it a bit harder to lift (I believe.)

Good Luck...:)

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stick with the 2002-2004 models so you get window regulators that don't break. The later model years suffer from serious cost cutting measures on the window regulators that results in failures on a regular basis (I.E. replacement parts are just as bad as the broken ones)

The 2002 is the best model year - drum brakes in the rear mean you have a good parking brake.

Thanks for mentioning that! I forgot. I just had to replace a window regulator for the first time in my 02 and the replacement already appears to be making some noise. There are some people who have had zero issues with the regulators, but it seems the majority of us on here have run into this problem at some point.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wasn't there also a change in the type of cooling fan used? I'm not positive but I seem to remember there being a discussion related to problems in newer KJ models. Btw, to the OP, not trying to scare you away from the Jeep, many of us on here, including myself, have been very happy with the vehicle. For example, mine is now approaching 125,000 miles in extreme Arizona heat, and it is still going strong.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
have an 02 175000 mi.on it ,ac busted-when they say dont over charge they mean it,put right side cv axel in, power steering pump,driver seat hard as a rock,tire carrier broke in tail gate,life not easy for ol girl.runs like a scalded dog,supriseing where no lift,no lockers,no mud tire will take u.high recamend install recovery points,all in all good car.

Erzebet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No '06 with MT...

any gotchas i should be looking for?

any recommendations on mileage limits etc?

thanks

If I could do it again I would not have purchased an '06 with a 6 speed manual transmission. There is a "glitch" where the ESP "kicks in" in low speeds when it should not. Has to do with "how" one shifts... Love the stick - just disappointed with performance because of this issue. Would be perfect with no ESP.

It's not that I would not buy the manual transmission - but rather a year in which the ESP was not standard equipment (i.e 2005 and prior). I also find that I prefer the 5 speed MT over the 6 speed.

As others have noted in their replies - I too have had to replace 3 window regulators in my '06.

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'02 here with almost 140,000 miles. Did the brakes a while back and radiator around 110,000 miles.

No window regulators yet (knock, knock).

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ild go for an 02 early 03 if i were you just for the better transmission. i have an 06 and the wife has an 02. the difference in the shifting and the hook up is night and day. also her 4 low holds better going down hills than my 06. on this one hill the 02 can go down and hold at 1500rpms and never have to touch the brakes and it is VERY steep woods/gravel. my 06 holds almost as good but you must use the brakes just a tad to keep it from hitting over 2000rpms. just a better/tougher ******.

ScottZ0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Very interesting thread. I don't want to hijack it, but something in the thread caught me by surprise. Someone stated that the 02 and early 03 had a specific ******. I was under the impression it was only in the 02 and not in the 03. If it is correct that it is in the early 03, can someone clarify this. Also, if that is the case, how does one tell which ****** is installed.

Thanks again,
Scott

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Hey all,

Very interesting thread. I don't want to hijack it, but something in the thread caught me by surprise. Someone stated that the 02 and early 03 had a specific ******. I was under the impression it was only in the 02 and not in the 03. If it is correct that it is in the early 03, can someone clarify this. Also, if that is the case, how does one tell which ****** is installed.

Thanks again,
Scott

From everything I have read, yes, the 2002 and 2003 have a more robust transmission.
I guess when/if my "Mini Van" transmission packs it in, I'll be changing it to an earlier one.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some 03's have the rfe ******. I think you. Can count the pan bolts if I remember correctly

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Now, this is just my opinion...
Depending on how hard you off road your Liberty, I think that the later 2004 and up transmissions are pretty good as well!
With 178000.0 Kilometers/110604.1 miles on the clock, ours still shifts perfectly!
No clunks, shudders, strange noises or problems.
Keep an eye on the transmission fluid level, keep up the maintenance schedule, and all is well... Knock on wood!

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking as the owner of an '03 and an '06, I'd recommend buying an '02 or early '03. The quality of our '06 just doesn't seem to be as good as my '03.

Latest posts

Members online