In the market for a KK...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been looking to update from my kj to the kk model and just had a couple of quick questions:

Do all kk's engage 4WD via a push button instead of the kj's lever? Also, did all kk's come with full-time 4WD, or did only just some, like on the kj?

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a switch for 4 wheel drive and 4 low.

Some come with 2 wheel drive only, I think.

Just look them over carefully and try ever thing on them to be sure it all works. Unfortunately you have to go with what is available in your area.
dc

Xterra4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been looking to update from my kj to the kk model and just had a couple of quick questions:

Do all kk's engage 4WD via a push button instead of the kj's lever? Also, did all kk's come with full-time 4WD, or did only just some, like on the kj?
I own a 2004 Renegade and it has shift lever, I prefer a shifter with 2hi-4hi-4low, but the cable bushing went out and I fix after two atemps.

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I prefer the manual shift lever, too (wish my truck had one)m but this rig is gonna be for my mom and she's too old to figure out how to use it properly. She also needs a full-time 4WD setup for the winter, as she will end up breaking parts with a part-time

Speaking of the 4WD, does anyone know if the KKs that came with Selec-Trac II have the '2WD, part-time, full-time, Neutral, low range" arrangement the '02-'07s did or is it just "2WD, full-time, low range'?

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s the second one.

Command trac: 2wd - 4wd LOCK - 4wd LOW

SelecTrac: 2wd - 4wd AUTO - 4wd LOW

Neutral is a little reset button you engage with a pen.

If you’re looking at KK’s and they show the 4wd switch in a picture, look for whether it has LOCK or AUTO.

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s the second one.

Command trac: 2wd - 4wd LOCK - 4wd LOW

SelecTrac: 2wd - 4wd AUTO - 4wd LOW

Neutral is a little reset button you engage with a pen.

If you’re looking at KK’s and they show the 4wd switch in a picture, look for whether it has LOCK or AUTO.

It's too bad the KK did away with the part-time selection on Selec-trac, as I rather like having that on my KJ when the going gets rough at higher speeds.

Thanks for the info regarding the AUTO vs LOCK. God knows most sellers don't know what they have when I ask, so I'll be sure to look for it.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes you can see this detail on cars.com or autotrader, so you know whether you want to go see it or not. Another trick is if there is a compass and temperature on the lower left of the dashboard, it will have fog lights too.