i'm doin' it myself.....flat black paint job...suggestions??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
Lookin' good... All your pictures are of her wet (which I like!!) but hard to tell how the finish is.... How many cans have you used?

themadness

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6 cans so far but i still have the roof and i have been touching up and fixing a couple of runs here and there. it doesnt look bad at all when its dry except for water spots. its holds them pretty well. i need to pick up some macquires or something to help with that.

the finish still has some texture to it especially on the hood. it loses the sheen i like when i wet sand with 2000 but that helps with getting rid of the water spots.

is there something less abrasive i can use to even it out a little more with out losing the sheen?

i will take some pics when it is dry and post them up soon.

themadness

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cant post 2 pics in the same reply for some reason:shrug:

Attachments

• downsize.jpg
    downsize.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 66

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is looking real good. Are you going to do the wheels to match?

Dave

themadness

Full Access Member
Reaction score
seriously considering it. i saw some flat gun metal wheels on a bmw suv and thought they might look good if i painted my wheels that way. thats a pretty permanent decision though. i may also look into trying to find some black wheels on craigslist.

themadness

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it was a big undertaking for me and i am not even finished. satin has a nice look but the flat may be easier to take care of. i started flat myself, then switched for the different sheen.

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
Only 6 cans? It took 3 cans just to paint my 5 rims! They do sell a clear that should help with the water marks that is satin.

themadness

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just 6 so far. laundry detergent also keeps the water spots at bay.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YOu need to pick pup some vht nightshades and tint your taillights and blinkers

themadness

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thought about that earlier today. i need to check the laws in NC first. the last thing i need is a ticket; been over 10 years since my last one!

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its all about coats, you can just do some quick light coats and you will never ever get pulled over, or you can do many heavy coats and ****** them out