HOW TO: Tow Stuff (Hitches, Harnesses and Brakes)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DnA Diesel

Reaction score
Dave or anyone of the "chosen few" - I have a question.

I have the secondary wiring harness. The directions appear to state that I remove 4 wires from the plug at the rear of the Jeep. It doesn't show these needing to be cut or wrapped, but I am assuming I don't want these just dangling around. Any in put?

I Installed the main harness no problems...

...so then I get to the supplemental harness -- directions have four wires/pins being installed into the female coupling in the right rear corner of the Liberty (connector positions 1, 7, 8 and 14). Problem is...there are already wires/pins in those locations. The existing wires in the connector are not the same colour as the ones from the supplemental harness.

I can see that with the supplemental harness wires/pins installed, they would correlate to the four lb, pk/db, rd/bk, br/pk wires that I see in the 1, 7, 8, 14 connector positions of the main harness I just installed, and that threaded up to the front of the vehicle and hooked up, would appropriately power the trailer harness.

Question: Do I remove and tape the existing wires in the existing female connector in order to install the four wire/pins of the supplemental harness?

Thanks to any of the "chosen few" who may have already done this.

I'm puzzled...I would have thought the female connector would have had four empty pin-outs that the supp harness would have just slipped into...I'd hate to remove wires that shouldn't otherwise be removed.

Thanks,
Duey

p.s. pics coming

dklassen

Reaction score
Dave,

You say every Liberty comes with a ****** cooler. On my 03 lobby, I sure don't see one. Where is it?

Wolffy

Reaction score
NAPA Trailer Harness Question

Hi Everybody - another newbie here. Great forum - thanks for all of the great information.

I just picked up a Hoppy 4-pin wiring harness from NAPA, part # 755-2056. The directions call for running a lead to the battery. However, there was no lead with the kit and it doesn't appear there every was one! There is a ground lead though. Please see attached pics.

I've read through several other posts here, and it seems there truly are some 4-wire kits for the Liberty that simply plug in without requiring a new power lead. Do I have the right kit, or did someone swap parts/boxes? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Again, thanks for the great forum.

Attachments

• NAPA Kit 755-2056.jpg
    NAPA Kit 755-2056.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 40
  • NAPA Directions 755-2056.jpg
    NAPA Directions 755-2056.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 31

Wolffy

Reaction score
It works

I ended up just plugging in the t-connector and it works fine. No hot lead required, even though the directions called for one.

I installed a universal Reese Class III receiver hitch. It went on easily, although the kit did not come with the correct standard thread bolts to connect it to the frame. It drops lower than a custom kit would but won't be a problem for my very suburban travels.

I towed a small, 5'x8' uhaul box trailer with a few large pieces of furniture and big screen with no problems whatsoever. I ran right at 3K RPM at about 63-63 mph (without overdrive) with P235/70R Firestone Destinations on stock steel rims. Altogether I have about $230 in the installation.

Our Liberty has been a great little maintenance-free (so far) chore horse. We'll have it completely paid-off next month - what should I expect to be the first big-ticket repair item?

Thanks again for the great forum.

rikguy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After installing the wiring harness, I noticed that the wires coming from under the wheel well had been touching my exhaust pipe. The heat melted thru the insulation and made the wires brittle. I cut away the bad section of wire and spliced in an extention. Now I only how current for running lights. No brake lights or turn signals. Does anyone have an idea if the heat might have shorted something in the converter box of the wiring harness?

S1Loki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tip my hat to you

Just wanted to say thank you to all who contributed to this thread. Saved me a lot of head scratchin.

My new to me 06 Sport now sports the tow package. Factory harnesses went in without a hitch.:rolleyes:

trzam400

Reaction score
Skid plate issue

I got a nice class 3 hitch off e bay for my 02 renegade, curt is the company. like $162 hitch, reciever, ball, harness, hitch plug that also holds electric connecter, and a nice reciever bag. had free shipping. The rear tow hook had to go no worry if I had to hook up a strap you can just strap to where safty chains go. The only PROBLEM I had was that the skid plate for tank was in the way. I search other hitches and did not find any info if a skid plate would be a problem or need to remove. What I did was aligned skid plate with hitch and cut with a torch about 4" from the top part of the plate. It does not effect the strainth of the plate. Cleaned up cut, painted bare metal and also put a piece of fuel line along the cut area to prevent possable squeek from plate to hitch

Moral of the story if you het an aftermarket hitch you might have problem with skid plate

jeepflowers

Reaction score
I need information on light hook up to tow a 2006 liberty. A wiring diagram would be very help full.
Thanks,
jeepflowers

mass-hole

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, i am fairly new to the jeep, I bought a 2006 CRD back in August which came with an aftermarket hitch but no trailer wiring. It is a limited and has the EVIC but no moon roof. I bought the mopar 7 pin harness that plugs in behind the cargo area panel and runs down to the hitch. The install went fine but i am missing some signals. I currently only get L/R turn signals, brake lights, and reverse lights. I am not getting running lights(headlights were on) or the 12V power.

Based on this thread, I was under the impression that the EVICs meant that the secondary harness was not necessary so I only installed the rear 7 pin harness. Can someone give me some input on this?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, i am fairly new to the jeep, I bought a 2006 CRD back in August which came with an aftermarket hitch but no trailer wiring. It is a limited and has the EVIC but no moon roof. I bought the mopar 7 pin harness that plugs in behind the cargo area panel and runs down to the hitch. The install went fine but i am missing some signals. I currently only get L/R turn signals, brake lights, and reverse lights. I am not getting running lights(headlights were on) or the 12V power.

Based on this thread, I was under the impression that the EVICs meant that the secondary harness was not necessary so I only installed the rear 7 pin harness. Can someone give me some input on this?

(welcome)

I installed an EVIC when I got my '03 and never could see how a factory-installed EVIC would make a difference with the operation of the 7-pin harness. That's not to say the EVIC doesn't make a difference - I just couldn't figure it out.

All that being said...I believe the only way to be sure all 7 pins work correctly (except for the brake controller, which is a separate install) is to also install the supplemental harness. That's what I did and the 7-pin works perfectly. There is a little trick when installing 4 of the wires of the supplemental unit into the main harness but that is easy enough to work through - I can help with that one here in this thread (one of the posts above mentions a difficulty with it but no one answered the guy's question.)

Just a final thought...Did you install ALL of the connectors of the main harness into the existing wiring harness in the Libby? Just making sure...

Let us know if you have questions.

Bob

mass-hole

Reaction score
(welcome)

I installed an EVIC when I got my '03 and never could see how a factory-installed EVIC would make a difference with the operation of the 7-pin harness. That's not to say the EVIC doesn't make a difference - I just couldn't figure it out.

All that being said...I believe the only way to be sure all 7 pins work correctly (except for the brake controller, which is a separate install) is to also install the supplemental harness. That's what I did and the 7-pin works perfectly. There is a little trick when installing 4 of the wires of the supplemental unit into the main harness but that is easy enough to work through - I can help with that one here in this thread (one of the posts above mentions a difficulty with it but no one answered the guy's question.)

Just a final thought...Did you install ALL of the connectors of the main harness into the existing wiring harness in the Libby? Just making sure...

Let us know if you have questions.

Bob

I am wondering if it is not the moon roof that requires the secondary harness. I assume The KJ's that have those would also have EVIC's. The moon roof switch is located on the EVIC's from what I have seen.

I unplugged the plug that was there, and plugged in the two matching in-line plugs on the 7 pin harness. I did not see another plug on the harness, just the relay box that you tuck in behind the sheet metal and the ground wire.

I did notice that there was an existing plug that was not being used. It appears to have 3 pins in it and was 6" or so down the factory wiring from the main connection that the 7 pin harness plugged into.

Last edited:

mass-hole

Reaction score
Why does the supplemental harness plug into the cigarette lighter under the radio. What function could this possibly have? The supplemental harness connects directly to the battery so why would it ever need to connect inline to the lighter?

Update: I was looking at the the wiring diagrams and I think I found my answer. I was looking at diagrams for an '06, which does not have the Cigarette lighter, only a power outlet. I switched to the '03 wiring diagrams and it shows that the cigarette lighter is only turned on when the key is turned to ACC or RUN. The power outlets(on both '03 and '06) are always on, they have a direct connection to the battery. I believe they originally designed the 82207620AB supplemental trailer harness to only send power to the 7 pin harness when the key was in the ACC or RUN positions. My guess is that there is a relay in the 7 pin harness that is tripped when the cigarette lighter turns on activating the 12V power pin and running lights pin. I guess the '06 either does not have this feature and is always on, or there is an unused cigarette harness behind the center console to tie into.

Update 2: My jeep does not have any of the supplemental wiring despite having the overhead console. I checked the harness and the 4 pins on the factory wiring which would be filled with the supplemental harness are empty. I also checked to see if the cigarette lighter plug was behind the HVAC controls and it is not, so the trailer wiring will always be live since the power outlet is always on.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is confusing, isn't it?

Like I mentioned earlier, I don't understand the differences between the EVIC-equipped Jeeps and those without EVIC's that would make the supplemental harness necessary - or not :pshyco:

What I do know is that I used the supplemental harness (even though I installed an EVIC as a mod and I have a sunroof that has the open/close switch.) The supplemental harness ensures that the trailer harness works and powers all the pins on the trailer connector. The only exception is the brake pin since I don't have a brake controller installed - yet :icon_wink:

I'd suggest installing the supplemental harness even with the differences that might be there between an '03 and your '06. I believe the connection to the power outlet on the dash is so you have a fused powered line to the 7-pin in addition to the straight power connection from the battery to the 7-pin; there are two different uses when you have a trailer connected that needs direct power from the vehicle's battery in addition to fused power on the trailer.

Hope this all makes sense. Give it a shot!

Bob

Graybeard

Reaction score
Any chance for getting a parts update or install notes for an '11 KK? Want to add a class lll hitch and brake controller.

TNX

kjinreno

Reaction score
how to penetrate firewall

The link to one members instructions to get the 12v wire through the firewall have long expired. Anybody got a current link, or can tell me the trick?

Ed

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull the carpet back under the driver seat and look for the weld seam. Follow that seam up toward the firewall and you'll see a plug. Pop a screwdriver through it and pop it out. It usually is partially covered with a caulk type sealant.

farmersride

Reaction score
Thanks for the writeup

Your instructions are fantastic, saved me hours reading through the service manual. Did the install on a 2006 Jeep Liberty with tow package. I can verify that the brake wire off the brake switch is white with a tan/brown stripe on the 06 liberty.

maguayoko

Reaction score
REALLY GOOD writeup sir but I am one of the ‘chosen few’ w/ a question regarding PN 82207620 install in my 2005 Libby.
Steps/ pix 9-11 on this install have one disassembling the factory wiring plug in the back rear passenger area and SOMEHOW getting (4) [I assume to be brake boost] wires into that plug and then reassembling the plug.
Having already wired up the front end to the lighter and battery and installing the Mopar 7-pin main harness I have the following questions:
1. Is my Libby essentially wired up so brake lights to my camper are good even though none of those 4 wires are attached to anything?
2. When I install my Takonsha P3 would I THEN have any action to figure out where those (4) wires (RD/BK, LB, BR/PK, PK/DB) are to plug/ splice into the harness?
3. IF I need to install those (4) wires into the factory plug, what do I do with the wires already there? Step/ pic (10) depicts no wires into the harness in those pin outs (#1,7,8,14) but in my factory harness there are wires already plugged in there...

thank u SO much in advance for the assist!
- Kelly

Attachments

• BC2B9870-3E00-435A-AA94-E4A8DA93291E.jpeg
    BC2B9870-3E00-435A-AA94-E4A8DA93291E.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 5

maguayoko

Reaction score
Never mind, got both wiring harnesses installed plus the hitch. Next comes the Prodigy brake controller. Tips from the first post were very helpful.

Thanks.
Y-Guy I have same question.
What did u do with the (4) wires in the @ss end of your JEEP when it came to your secondary harness install?
I have an 05 Liberty Renegade w/ a 7 pin Mopar trailer harness installed. Going to attempt a Takonsha P3 brake controller install shortly, but I’m a newbie and haven’t gotten my camper yet. Basically I don’t know if any power is getting to those pins yet...