HOW TO: Tow Stuff (Hitches, Harnesses and Brakes)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score

JT-KJ

Reaction score
Dave,
thanks for all of the info. I do have one other question. I have a Renegade and it does have on tow hook in the back, drivers side.
I went to the etrailer site and was looking at the drawtite and like you mentioned the tow hook would have to go. The Hidden Hitch did not mention this. Any idea if the tow hook would stay with this one?
Sounds like the way to go is the Drawtite with the adapter in the receiver?
Thanks for the help.

Jon

Amarony

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure all of the hitches will require the tow hook removal. The major brand ones are all pretty much the same as far as using the 6 built-in bolt holes in the back. So I'd be shocked if any of them allow you to keep the rear tow hook.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EVIC/BLUE WIRE/CRD

Not sure where this information is coming from but the brake wire on a hitch equipped CRD is not in the EVIC. It is behind a white cover under the drivers side dash. This has been documented here and in other posts. Pretty sure it is in that location on 05's and '06's regardless of gas/diesel/limited/sport/evic or not.

sstcobra1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brake controller/finding the blue wire

I have found the blue wire that originates behind the white panel (front drivers kick panel area) on my 1994 Sport. (even though this vehicle has no factory tow package or overhead console, it does have the blue wire) This goes TO the brake controller. Now where doe this blue wire end??? I assume it is behind the panel on the right reatr side of the vehicle. But can someone confirm for me?

Y-Guy

Reaction score
Dave or anyone of the "chosen few" - I have a question.

I have the secondary wiring harness. The directions appear to state that I remove 4 wires from the plug at the rear of the Jeep. It doesn't show these needing to be cut or wrapped, but I am assuming I don't want these just dangling around. Any in put?

Y-Guy

Reaction score
Never mind, got both wiring harnesses installed plus the hitch. Next comes the Prodigy brake controller. Tips from the first post were very helpful.

Thanks.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a recent coupon code for etrailer? The coupon code I got from them a long while back says it is expired. So is the one in the OP (duh, it was 2005). I know a couple people have ordered from etrailer recently, I just can't find the posts.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is the secondary wire harness required?

A simple question. If you have the 7 pin wire harness, is the secondary wire harness required? using trailer brakes is not an issue.confused2.gif

E5T0311

Reaction score
Maintaining control of the tow vehicle and stopping is what really limits our capabilities.

This is the most important part. You may have the power to pull it but that doesn't mean you can control it or stop it. Excellent write up on everything.

If you find yourself hauling too much weight remember to go slow and take it easy. You can't correct trailer sway with steering without rolling your vehicle. If the trailer starts to sway let off the gas and just try to hold the steering wheel steady. If you have trailer brakes using the manual lever to activate the trailer brakes not your jeep brakes to help straighten you out. Don't go downhill with a trailer too fast since there is no good way to slow down and stay in control.

04renny

Reaction score
Can anyone send me a link to a wiring harness out there that will work on my car, there is so many to choose from and i'm a bit confused about what exactly i need.

Thanks.

SoDakJeep

Reaction score
Load the trailer right and you wont have any problems...put the weight over the tounge and not on the rear of the trailer and you will be set....

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is for the secondary harness. If you are installing the 7 wire harness you may need the secondary harness. I installed the secondary harness and would actually like to know if I did it for no reason. Because...the wires seemed to already be there and you need to remove them from the connector and then put the secondary harness wires in place of them. does that make sense? Try it without the secondary harness and see if it works first. If someone else knows the facts about this, please let us know. Thanks.

Epic-yoda

Reaction score
dont mean to be a smart as* but you should always load a trailer with most of the wait over the axles not on the rear or tounge. I pulled a uneven loaded trailer once on the freeway and it started to throw my liberty around like a doll. Had to pull over real quik. The funny thing is it looked completly loaded evenly, I was wrong it scared the crap out of me. I could not controll it, it was a very small trailer with 12 ft siding boxes in it, larger trailers handel much nicer.

Latest posts

Members online