How to: Install/Replace 3.7l Waterpump.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YoungL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remove the lower radiator hose from the waterpump does not make sense to me. My lower radiator hose connects to thermostat...and radiator?

ephantmon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(Potentially) dumb question: if I don't need to replace my coolant (I don't), is there any real reason to remove the lower radiator hose? If I don't, when I pull off the old water pump, how much coolant will drain out?

alwaysFlOoReD

Reaction score
I'm doing my water pump right now and joined for the info. I read the first and last page so if I'm repeating someone elses observations please forgive me.

I didn't need to remove any hoses or shroud [2007 Jeep Liberty, 3.7 liter, no viscous clutch or fan]. Removed the belt, belt idler, and the bolts. There was no stud.

The three long bolts have a residue like pipe dope. Are these bolt holes open into the water passages? I'm going to assume so as I don't have time to wait for an answer but hope this question and potential answer will help someone else.

Thanks,

Richard

Last edited:

richo905658

Reaction score
I have a Cherokee (Liberty in the States) with a 3.7L .... it has viscous fan that I am unable to remove. As the vehicle does no towing can I leave it off after replacing the waterpump.

metalmoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was making a horrible noise

02 Liberty, 151,000 miles. It was making a horrible noise. I was thinking, the end is near for the engine. After warm up, at idle, I could hear the noise in the cabin.
Opened the hood, and noticed a tiny coolant leak at the top right of the WP. I still thought it was a rod knock. Yes is was that loud! I drove her that way for a few weeks. But no loss in power, speed, ran fine as usual. Opened the hood the other day, and listening closely, turning my head, to pinpoint the where the sound was coming from. Definitely the WP. What a relief... Picked up a new WP for $47 at Autozone. Made in China, of course. But I'm just trying to get through the winter with it. I put so much $ into it, since I bought it 6 months ago, I had enough! Dam money pit. Even doing all the repairs myself! I'm surprised the WP didn't just self destruct already! At least it "seems" like an easy job. I will find out tomorrow, when I plan to tackle it. I already have a sound recording of the noise. And will try and take some video, with sound, to help you all. Not sure how to post it here as yet. But, will post my experience with replacing it.
Thanks to all, for the help and suggestions.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I found the water pump to be easy. I don't have a lot of experience with cars beyond the basic routine maintenance stuff and had no problem.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just make sure to clean the surface where the gasket mates to on the engine you'll be good. Napa water pump is recommended here.

metalmoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it started snowing here...So I had to move some stuff out of my garage, before I could get started. Drained the coolant, and got the old WP off. Bearings were shot. Cleaned the mounting surface as best I could, using some ultra fine steel wool. I have some RTV made for WP's, but hesitate to use it. My WP came with the O-ring gasket already installed.
I also found gray RTV on the ends of the long bolts, as someone else mentioned. But I'm going to clean it off, and hope it isn't there for another reason. Need to get back to work, and install the new WP. As I need to Jeep to get to work early tomorrow.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I did mine outdoors last February when it was 8F out. I was shivering until May.

metalmoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WP installed, no leaks, but...

Everything went smooth. And I also replaced the thermostat, since I could get to it. My first drive to work in 20 degree weather, the Jeep overheated a little. The temperature gauge went just above half, since I've owned it. And then again on the drive home. The electric fan kicked on, and the temp never went any higher. Still, it was very cold outside. I found that unusual.
It needed more coolant,so I put a little more in, before my drive home. Still it went past the halfway point. After I got home, I ran it for 30 minutes, with the radiator cap off, thinking that there was some air trapped in the system.
The bleed screw, I could not get loose. Another thing, I keep hearing water pouring sounds in the cabin, on the passenger side, whenever I take off from a dead stop. Tomorrow it will be 16 degrees outside, and Oh, my power steering is whining too. Another thing I need to replace! Also, when I put the rear window defroster on, or push in the cigarette lighter, the Jeep stumbles a little at idle.
It goes away, as soon as I turn them off... Guess I need a new alternator too?

Just trying to get through the winter with it. And get to my new job on time...

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything went smooth. And I also replaced the thermostat, since I could get to it. My first drive to work in 20 degree weather, the Jeep overheated a little. The temperature gauge went just above half, since I've owned it. And then again on the drive home. The electric fan kicked on, and the temp never went any higher. Still, it was very cold outside. I found that unusual.

It needed more coolant,so I put a little more in, before my drive home. Still it went past the halfway point. After I got home, I ran it for 30 minutes, with the radiator cap off, thinking that there was some air trapped in the system.

The bleed screw, I could not get loose. Another thing, I keep hearing water pouring sounds in the cabin, on the passenger side, whenever I take off from a dead stop. Tomorrow it will be 16 degrees outside, and Oh, my power steering is whining too. Another thing I need to replace! Also, when I put the rear window defroster on, or push in the cigarette lighter, the Jeep stumbles a little at idle.

It goes away, as soon as I turn them off... Guess I need a new alternator too?

Just trying to get through the winter with it. And get to my new job on time...

Sounds like air trapped in the system. I don't know what you did, but I just replaced my thermostat in my liberty. I have a new engine with only 3500 miles and I could not even get the bleeder screw out. I bought a Mopar thermostat (which I hope you did as well because the shop that installed my engine didn't and it kept sticking open) and I was extra extra careful when it came to bleeding the system. Fill it up then run the engine til it gets to operating temp while the cap is off (and top off the coolant of course) for about 30 minutes with the heat on full (not recirculating) as far the the "water sound" I couldn't tell you much on that. If you're talking about the coolant getting to the heater core, that could be pretty normal if it's not overheating. I have a new heater core as well (hell every damn thing is new on this jeep) and always heard a slight rushing sound coming from the heater core and never had any issues whatsoever. But ever since the engine was replaced, never really hear it anymore. The heater core was new before the new engine install. Could just be air in the system. I'd definitely take the time to do the procedure above. I'd hate to see you overheat it completely. Not really sure if I'm making myself clear. I just got home from work and it's pretty late. I don't know if the water pouring sounds you're hearing is the same as I've heard in almost every Liberty, but ever now and then I hear it.

Take care.

2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7L with brand new engine ;)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
The air will work its way out, but without the bleeder working it might take a while. I'd carry a quart of 50-50 and top off any chance I got when the engine was cool. Did you keep track of how much it took to fill it initially?

metalmoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Overheating worse today

Sounds like air trapped in the system. I don't know what you did, but I just replaced my thermostat in my liberty. I have a new engine with only 3500 miles and I could not even get the bleeder screw out. I bought a Mopar thermostat (which I hope you did as well because the shop that installed my engine didn't and it kept sticking open) and I was extra extra careful when it came to bleeding the system. Fill it up then run the engine til it gets to operating temp while the cap is off (and top off the coolant of course) for about 30 minutes with the heat on full (not recirculating) as far the the "water sound" I couldn't tell you much on that. If you're talking about the coolant getting to the heater core, that could be pretty normal if it's not overheating. I have a new heater core as well (hell every damn thing is new on this jeep) and always heard a slight rushing sound coming from the heater core and never had any issues whatsoever. But ever since the engine was replaced, never really hear it anymore. The heater core was new before the new engine install. Could just be air in the system. I'd definitely take the time to do the procedure above. I'd hate to see you overheat it completely. Not really sure if I'm making myself clear. I just got home from work and it's pretty late. I don't know if the water pouring sounds you're hearing is the same as I've heard in almost every Liberty, but ever now and then I hear it.

Take care.

Hello, I replaced the water pump and thermostat. I did what you said, and ran the Jeep for 30 minutes with the radiator cap off. A little steam was coming out the recovery tank after 30 minutes... The heat is working good inside the cabin. And the radiator fan does come on. It was 16 degrees this morning, and the gauge went a little above half, on my way to work. 12 miles. But on the way home today, it was about 23 degrees outside. This time the gauge went to the 3/4 mark. So I turned the heater on full blast, and drove the last 5 miles home with all the windows open. Hoping this would keep it from getting any hotter. It helped a little. So I am running it again, as I write this, with the radiator cap off, and the cabin heater on full blast. Going to let it run longer this time... And keep an eye of the temp gauge. I thought maybe I got a faulty water pump. But when I rev the engine, I can see the coolant level in the tank drop a little. So it seems like the water pump and thermostat, are working fine. I noticed the lower radiator hose has a spring inside, to keep it from collapsing. I can get the bleed screw to come out at all. I thought about heating with a torch, to loosen it. But it is very close to the upper radiator hose. I am thinking about loosening the clamp on the hose, near the bleed screw. I still don't understand why it wont burp through the tank, with the radiator cap off:shrug:

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, I replaced the water pump and thermostat. I did what you said, and ran the Jeep for 30 minutes with the radiator cap off. A little steam was coming out the recovery tank after 30 minutes... The heat is working good inside the cabin. And the radiator fan does come on. It was 16 degrees this morning, and the gauge went a little above half, on my way to work. 12 miles. But on the way home today, it was about 23 degrees outside. This time the gauge went to the 3/4 mark. So I turned the heater on full blast, and drove the last 5 miles home with all the windows open. Hoping this would keep it from getting any hotter. It helped a little. So I am running it again, as I write this, with the radiator cap off, and the cabin heater on full blast. Going to let it run longer this time... And keep an eye of the temp gauge. I thought maybe I got a faulty water pump. But when I rev the engine, I can see the coolant level in the tank drop a little. So it seems like the water pump and thermostat, are working fine. I noticed the lower radiator hose has a spring inside, to keep it from collapsing. I can get the bleed screw to come out at all. I thought about heating with a torch, to loosen it. But it is very close to the upper radiator hose. I am thinking about loosening the clamp on the hose, near the bleed screw. I still don't understand why it wont burp through the tank, with the radiator cap off:shrug:

Did you install the thermostat with the jiggle pin on the top or bottom? It should be on top

metalmoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thermostat was keyed, so it could only go in one position. And I have it facing the same way as the old one was. I didn't unclamp the hose from the thermostat housing. So it has to be in the same position, as when I removed it. The housing also uses 2 different size bolts to hold it on, so I could not install it upside down. It doesn't seem to overheat, with the radiator cap off. And it has been idling in my driveway for 50 minutes now. I going to shut her off now, and hope this has gotten all the air out now. Thank You for your help.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thermostat was keyed, so it could only go in one position. And I have it facing the same way as the old one was. I didn't unclamp the hose from the thermostat housing. So it has to be in the same position, as when I removed it. The housing also uses 2 different size bolts to hold it on, so I could not install it upside down. It doesn't seem to overheat, with the radiator cap off. And it has been idling in my driveway for 50 minutes now. I going to shut her off now, and hope this has gotten all the air out now. Thank You for your help.

Best of luck to ya. Hope you revved it up a bit about 3-5 seconds at a time so the coolant can bypass the system. Should get the air out.