HOW TO: Install an EVIC or OTIS (overhead computer)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
icarl said:
the_titan said:
I don't believe that wire is anywhere near thick enough and would advise anyone else against it. I believe they are somewhere along the lines if 22-24 ga, VERY small wires and few strands. Consider that this is not just data being run through them. 3 out of four wires carry power. The stock wiring is 18ga and when you get down that small the disparity from 18 to 20 AWG is huge.

That's true. However, we are just powering an LCD display. Works for laptops so why not here. I haven't had any problems with it so far.

But you have to remember that you can directly affect the BCM if you encounter the slightest power issue. The BCM is not something you want to break. I would suggest resorting back to OEM cabling to ensure your BCM won't have a fault.

dieselman

Reaction score
Well I got the EVAC but the liberty did not have the bracket so I will sell the overhead it is tan with homelink. I know I can buy the plastic bracket then glue it in place but that is just to much work to start cutting into a new jeep

semtorq

Reaction score
Hey all KJers. I have an 02 Renegade edition. There is anything funny about the renegade that would prohibit me from installing an EVIC, correct? I have the keyless entry, also. That being said, it is also true that I can use either a GC EVIC or a KJ EVIC to get a temp readout? Thanks so much!

Last edited:

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problems with Renegade

Hey-

You should be able to use an EVIC from a GC or a KJ with no issue. As far as I know the Renegade edition is basically just a Trim level, there shouldn't be anything to prevent you from adding this. Having keyless entry means that you have the enhanced BCM so it should be able to talk to the EVIC.

The '02s that came w/o EVIC/OTIS did not have a temperature sensor installed, so you'll need to get one and install it to get temerature readings. Check OTIS/EVIC install instructions if you haven't already, theres a list of what works in there, all the instructions in there apply directly to the '02s without issue. Mine EVIC came from a 2000 Grand Cherokee, and it works nicely. I would recommend making sure that you get an EVIC instead of an OTIS, since you get all kinds of nice added features (again see the article for details).

If you haven't bought one yet there is one with homelink for sale on the for-sale forums at a very reasonable price. You'd have to get the temp sensor separately, but even with that you'd make out on the deal.

Best of luck, let us know how you make out.

-Blu

Last edited:

semtorq

Reaction score
Thank you, Blu, but is it ture that I can use this one (the link) out of a concord? Also, is there a certain year EVIC that was made without the temp sensoring - so I can avoid that year(s) as I wanted a temp sensor? Thanks again!

Hey-

You should be able to use an EVIC from a GC or a KJ with no issue. As far as I know the Renegade edition is basically just a Trim level, there shouldn't be anything to prevent you from adding this. Having keyless entry means that you have the enhanced BCM so it should be able to talk to the EVIC.

The '02s that came w/o EVIC/OTIS did not have a temperature sensor installed, so you'll need to get one and install it to get temerature readings. Check OTIS/EVIC install instructions if you haven't already, theres a list of what works in there, all the instructions in there apply directly to the '02s without issue. Mine EVIC came from a 2000 Grand Cherokee, and it works nicely. I would recommend making sure that you get an EVIC instead of an OTIS, since you get all kinds of nice added features (again see the article for details).

If you haven't bought one yet there is one with homelink for sale on the for-sale forums at a very reasonable price. You'd have to get the temp sensor separately, but even with that you'd make out on the deal.

Best of luck, let us know how you make out.

-Blu

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just fitted an EVIC today (Homelink and TPMS). Just in case anybody is interested I measured the current consumption. With Ignition off the unit draws 2mA through the permanently hot connection. Once the ignition is on this rises to 395mA plus 180mA through the switched hot wire. Total 575mA.
Still need to get the temp sensor and mount the pressure sensors, other than that it works great. Came from on 02 GC.

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One other thing, although the light connector looks different between the Liberty and GC, it actually plugs in no problem.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Blu, but is it ture that I can use this one (the link) out of a concord? Also, is there a certain year EVIC that was made without the temp sensoring - so I can avoid that year(s) as I wanted a temp sensor? Thanks again!

You should be able to use that one with no problems. Where people have had issues, is in 2004+ I think the BCM was changed, so everything except the temp works. Basically, if you get one of the EVICs listed on that how to page (including the one for sale by our member) you should be fine with temp.

-Blu

semtorq

Reaction score
You should be able to use that one with no problems. Where people have had issues, is in 2004+ I think the BCM was changed, so everything except the temp works. Basically, if you get one of the EVICs listed on that how to page (including the one for sale by our member) you should be fine with temp.

-Blu

Thank you, yet again, Blu.

Gige

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm reading, and there is a lot to cover, so I wouldn't mind if somebody can confirm my findings... My wife is a proud owner of 2006 KJ CRD, and she would like to have temperature readout... I don't have to mention the amount of sound waves reaching my ears regarding the matter. It all started when she disliked the other car color (the one which had EVIC) and bought the other one (which didn't)...

Questions:

1. To get the temperature readout I will need 2004 or newer EVIC. Does it matter from which brand/car? Anybody has a part number? Last EVIC's in the table I saw (with homelink & tpms) were 56042756AJ, but it also says February 2003 below.... Will the temp readout work with these? Are there any newer part nos?

2. Is it really neccessary to splice the wires underneath the dash? Is there any original connector which may be used?

I have found out that I have temp sensor installed (reads just below 10kohm at the current temperature), and I also think that I have tire pressure sensors installed too, valves look as the ones I've seen on the photos, and there's a tire pressure warning light on the instrument console...

Thanks for your help....

Regards,
Gige:cool:

gramifications

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Questions:

1. To get the temperature readout I will need 2004 or newer EVIC. Does it matter from which brand/car? Anybody has a part number? Last EVIC's in the table I saw (with homelink & tpms) were 56042756AJ, but it also says February 2003 below.... Will the temp readout work with these? Are there any newer part nos?

-Yes, you'll need a 2004 or newer OTIS/EVIC. I know that any '04 or newer overhead console from a Liberty will work and I also know that an '04 Dakota console will work in a '04 liberty because I've got an '04 Renegade and have tried an '04 Dakota console which worked perfectly. I don't know if an '04 or newer will work for your's being an '06.

2. Is it really neccessary to splice the wires underneath the dash? Is there any original connector which may be used?

-You'll have to splice into the OBD II port wires at the back of the connector. That means that you'll have to get a console with the harness for the computer w/ display and lengthen the wires to reach down to that OBD II connector.

I have found out that I have temp sensor installed (reads just below 10kohm at the current temperature), and I also think that I have tire pressure sensors installed too, valves look as the ones I've seen on the photos, and there's a tire pressure warning light on the instrument console...

-You do have the temp sensor installed, I think all '04 and newer came with them. The pressure sensors I'm not sure about. There's another post, http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32413,
which has information about the tire pressure sensors and whether or not you can get them to work with an overhead console. I think you'll need an '04 to have it work but don't hold me to that.

Other than that, good luck!

Gige

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the part no. 56042754AJ and mounted it.
Result:
No temperature indication, none of the rear passenger doors or the trunk indication. It does indicate average consumption.

If anybody has a newer than 2004 Liberty EVIC for sale, please contact me on [email protected]

It's a pity that there are no electronics oriented Liberty owners, I suppose that it would be possible to reflash the EVIC with a proper software, maybe I'll even open it up next weekend and check the internals, maybe identify the culprit, probably a memory chip or a pic....

Cheers all,
Gige

Gige

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be niceto document various types of software in the EVICs, to do so follow the procedure: (there is a bit of extra info too)

SELF-DIAGNOSTIC TEST
A self-diagnostic test is used to determine that the
EVIC module is operating properly, and that all PCI
data bus messages are being received for initial operation.
Initiate the self-diagnostic test as follows:
(1) With the ignition switch in the Off position,
simultaneously depress and hold the C/T button and
the Reset button.
(2) Turn the ignition switch to the On position.
(3) Continue to hold both buttons depressed until
the EVIC software version information is displayed,
then release both buttons.
(4) Following completion of these tests, the EVIC
module will display one of the following messages:
a. PASS SELF TEST - Momentarily depress and
release the Reset button to return to the compass/
temperature/trip computer display mode. The EVIC
module is working properly.
b. FAILED SELF TEST - The EVIC module has
an internal failure. The EVIC module is faulty and
must be replaced.
c. NOT RECEIVING J1850 MESSAGE - The
EVIC module is not receiving proper message input
through the PCI data bus. This can result from one
or more faulty electronic modules in the vehicle, or
from a faulty PCI data bus.

Gige

jonb

Reaction score
EVIC Install OK, Courtesy Lights Backwards?

Hi All – Here’s one for the electronic gurus out there! I installed an EVIC in my 2005 KJ over the weekend – bought it from the_titan and checked that it’s the correct one for my year - p/n 56010520AD.

It was an easy install – thanks to everyone for the info. All went well, the EVIC is performing fine – it oriented its compass to the new Canadian location, temp sensor OK + all other functions OK.

However, the courtesy/map lights are another story. They are working backwards. When the door is opened they go off. After the door is closed, after about 15 secs, they come on. The reading lights come on when they’re pressed. I’m kind of stumped right now & would appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks & regards to all,

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Already responded to your PM with the solution, check there. I pulled the wiring diagrams and it seems to be a simple pin reversal from 05 to 06.

edit: If anyone else runs into the problem, here are the pinouts I sent him in a PM for 05 and 06. Just realign the wires to play nicely.

Your 05:
A
A908 18RD
FUSED B(+)
B
Z327 20BK/WT
GROUND
C
M20 20YL/LB
COURTESY LAMP LOAD SHED

06 Liberty's it came out of:
A
M20 20YL/LB
COURTESY LAMP LOAD SHED
B
A908 20RD
FUSED B(+)
C
Z327 20BK/WT
GROUND

Last edited:

jonb

Reaction score
Courtesy/Map Lights reversed

Got the problem fixed over the weekend. Turns out that the existing wiring on my 05 connector was;
A - YL/LB
B - RD
C - BK/WT
Thought about this for a few minutes & then changed it to what the wiring diagram says it should be (didn't touch any of the EVIC wiring);
A - RD
B - BK/WT
C - YL/LB
Courtesy/Map lights are working just fine now!

halcyon510

Reaction score
I just wanted to add that I installed an OTIS last week in my 02 Liberty. There was no plug connector with it. However, I discovered that a computer USB motheboard connector fits perfectly.
You must be registered for see images

I ran a USB A-A ext cable
You must be registered for see images

from the OTIS USB connector to the dash where I installed the other USB MB connector there wired into the wires under the dash. Now I can say my OTIS is USB. \:D/

Would the same be true for an EVIC? I just got back from my local parts dept and they said the intrepid wire harness was over $400 (10x that suggested on another site). I don't know if the EVIC I have coming has the harness or not, but if not, I'll need to figure something out, and I was at a loss before this. As for the cable gauge, I might just use the motherboard plug and re-wire it with the 18 gauge cable. I guess we'll just see what happens when my EVIC arrives.

halcyon510

Reaction score
Well, my EVIC came with the pigtail, so no worries there. I just finished my install tonight and it works great! Couldn't be happier. :)