HOW TO: Install an EVIC or OTIS (overhead computer)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stackthepads30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bluebel1 said:
What does the BCM stand for, I am not familiar with that term. I may have just missed it, becasue I read all of the information in this forum. Is there a diagram of the pigtail you are talking about. I guess I am pretty lucky, my evic has the base and all of the connectors, one to the lights and another to the module. Both connectors have about 6 inches of wires connected to them. Any suggestions as to what I do next?

BCM stands for (I think) body control module...it's the computer chip in your liberty. As for diagram of the pigtail, try here:
http://www.wjjeeps.com/evic.htm
Along with this website, their website was very good in helping me install my EVIC.

MightyCRD

Reaction score
Has anyone actually confirmed that the earlier EVIC modules won't display temp in a 2005+ Liberty? There seem to be tons of the older units out, but not a one for 05 or newer, unless you go to the stealership ...

Boilermaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone actually confirmed that the earlier EVIC modules won't display temp in a 2005+ Liberty? There seem to be tons of the older units out, but not a one for 05 or newer, unless you go to the stealership ...
I started with an '02. No temp (read --), no instant MPG (always read 0.0). Went to an '04, everything including temperature displays properly.

Once a week i do an ebay search for KJ parts...If i remember correctly there two possible on ebay right now you might be ok with, one from an '05 liberty, one from an '04 GC. do a search for jeep overhead, they should come up.

MightyCRD

Reaction score
Boilermaker said:
I started with an '02. No temp (read --), no instant MPG (always read 0.0). Went to an '04, everything including temperature displays properly.

Once a week i do an ebay search for KJ parts...If i remember correctly there two possible on ebay right now you might be ok with, one from an '05 liberty, one from an '04 GC. do a search for jeep overhead, they should come up.

Perfect - I had seen the one for the Libby, but I figured it might get pricy. If 04+ will work, that'll make life a bit easier ... thanks!

Boilermaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i took a closer look at the one from the '04 GC, it doesn't have the homelink buttons...its probably an otis rather than an evic. It will have a few less functions and not look as nice as an evic. But i started with an evic that wasn't perfect and upgraded later. Once you install one, upgrading is pretty simple.

waldn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 04 GC is probably an EVIC
Evics have writing on the buttons Otis has writing under the buttons
mine doesn't have homelink buttons either
The Temp will not display with it though

chetos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boilermaker said:

is your 04 from a libby or GC? I put an 04 from a GC and everything worked except the temp. I have a line running to the front grille and something there that could be a temp gauge but I am not sure. It does like what's in the pics for the how to but not sure. One little quarcky thing too... If the passager rear door is open before the ignition is turned (and left open) the evic will display 'right rear door open' even when the doors closed. I have turn off the ignition and make sure it's closed. Other than it works fine \:D/

MightyCRD

Reaction score
waldn said:
The 04 GC is probably an EVIC
Evics have writing on the buttons Otis has writing under the buttons
mine doesn't have homelink buttons either
The Temp will not display with it though

Yup - it's an EVIC ...

(Aeh) I'm confused - Boilermaker - did an '04 EVIC display temp for you, or did I misread ... ?

Boilermaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm confused - Boilermaker - did an '04 EVIC display temp for you, or did I misread ... ?
the temp did read from the '04 evic but it came out of a Liberty. Thought i put it in my previous post, sorry for the confusion.

MightyCRD

Reaction score
Boilermaker said:
I'm confused - Boilermaker - did an '04 EVIC display temp for you, or did I misread ... ?
the temp did read from the '04 evic but it came out of a Liberty. Thought i put it in my previous post, sorry for the confusion.

No problems .... I'm tempted to buy one out of the GC just to see ... if it doesn't work, it's not like I'm out of a whole lot ....

bluebel1

Reaction score
I have run into a snag installing my evic. I cannot get the screws off of the A Pillar on my KJ. Does anyone know what size torx it takes? I will have to buy a socket that fits. Also I have looked all over my evic unit and I do not see a number that corresponds to the ones published in the installation guide. Where are the numbers located on the unit?

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A pillar bolts

That was the biggest problem for me as well. They are 4.5mm, and will require a deep socket to reach. I had never heard of a half size bolt before, but luckily my local Autozone haad one in stock. I also found that a 7/32" deep socket will work, but the 4.5mm is a perfect fit. Both sockets now permanently reside in my center console.

Some guys were lucky enough to have torx bolts on their A Pillars.

bluebel1

Reaction score
Thanks for the infor, I will go to the local auto store..what about the number on the evic itself..do you know where to find the number to tell what it came out of or options it had?

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Part numbers

There should be a 10 digit part number on the top of the unit. I think most end in AX (x = A, C, J). Which model has what feature is a good question. What features are you looking for? Mine has everything, sunroof, homelink, tpms. I'll check the number when I get a chance, but it may be a few days.

chetos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bluebel1 said:
I have run into a snag installing my evic. I cannot get the screws off of the A Pillar on my KJ. Does anyone know what size torx it takes? I will have to buy a socket that fits. Also I have looked all over my evic unit and I do not see a number that corresponds to the ones published in the installation guide. Where are the numbers located on the unit?

I went on a wild goose chase to 3 different auto stores and 4 different tool stores to find a deep socket to fit. In the end, I ended up going to sears and gettting a deep socket 7/32. It was only 4 bucks there and throw in the cost of gas, that socket cost quite a bit. So if you have a sears just go there.

bluebel1

Reaction score
Well, I have made all of my connections, except for the hot that works with the ignition. Does anyone have any suggesstions as to what wire to use. There is not a lot of space to work in under the dash.
I want to make all the connections and plug in the Evic to see if it works before I do any cutting in the top. If it works, i plan on using 3m tape to hold base on to roof. and then snap evic in and use screw on other end. there is a lot of great information on this form. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

MightyCRD

Reaction score
My next question is this - I've got an '06 - got all the parts (EVIC, plastic retainer, et cetera) - do you actually have to pull the headliner down to get the plastic retainer behind it, or can you cut a hole and get the retainer to fit through?

bluebel1

Reaction score
This may be the longest installation in history. The connector for my sunroof on my 2006 is different than the one that came on the evic. I have just finshed determining which wire on the sunroof connector does what. There are four wires, one is ground, one makes the sunroof open, one makes it close and one makes it tilt. I then took a volt ohm meter and tested the wiring that was on the KJ for sunroof controls. I took a volt ohm meter on ohms and looked for the wire where I got a short and of course that was ground. I then turned on the ignition, and connected the meter to ground (black lead of meter) and took the red lead of meter and touched each of the other three wires one at a time to see what the sunroof did to figure out which wire opened, closed and tilted the roof. As soon as I make those connections permanent I will be ready to install the evic. I plan on loosening the visor holder for the driver's side and see if I can get the headliner down enough to slide the evic base into position between the windshield and the headliner. Will keep you posted if anyone is interested. Just for the record, I have a 2006 CRD Sport, sunroof, tow package, with Moabs, and rusty lift kit (2.5 inches) and shocks.

chetos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MightyCRD said:
My next question is this - I've got an '06 - got all the parts (EVIC, plastic retainer, et cetera) - do you actually have to pull the headliner down to get the plastic retainer behind it, or can you cut a hole and get the retainer to fit through?

That might be a big hole to do that and probably wouldn't be able to cover it up with the evic. Just take out your visors and slide it up under the headliner. You do have to pull down a bit but it will go.