HOW TO: Install an EVIC or OTIS (overhead computer)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Evan Haynes

Reaction score
Bad news for sport owners

So I finally get this overhead put in and I get taken to the cleaner from the dealership for the TPMS sensors.

So guess what....because my sport has the steel wheels The sensors dont work....the steel will block the signal...I later found this out on the wjjeep.com website...when they talk about this the spare tire and a steel rim...

So it looks like I may be in the market soon for some rims....
Installed a 2004 EVIC in my 2005 Sport (that I have had since 2005). Just now coming up to speed regarding the steel wheel problem. Thanks for the heads up. Did you make yours work with aluminum wheels or otherwise fix it?

Armstrong001

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Liberty Sport with just the standard overhead lights. I ordered an EVIC console off of EBAY. The seller called the model number 56042754AJ. However, when I got it, I only see a model number VC52440L32H. The code advertised seems to be without homelink, but the console has the buttons for it. I saw around page 18 that someone mentioned a whole table of what consoles had what codes. All I've been able to find is the one for grand cherokees. The light plug is different from the one from the original light. I know I need to wire the rest of the unit with my own harness, but before I cut into the light harness I'd like to make sure this unit will work on my jeep.

ETA: Seller says it came from a 2001 Grand Cherokee.

Last edited:

Armstrong001

Reaction score
Well, I went ahead and wired it up. It turns on, but then I can't step through options. The menu button works, and the homelink buttons seem to work (I haven't bothered programming them yet), but I don't think the step button works. I also don't know if reset or C/T work. Has anyone had any issues with some buttons not working? I took the module apart and I couldn't see anything wrong with the switches on the circuit board. Maybe I just need to buy another unit?

Steve777

Reaction score
New to the forum here, but not libbys (have 2 06 CRDs).

One of my CRDs has a factory EVIC. Have been looking for an EVIC for the other for a few years now and finally found one that should work (I think). Just putting together a wiring harness and about to check that EVIC out. Probably can't install yet as I don't have the mounting bracket/retainer.

[BTW, gotta love how they designed the wiring on this from the factory. They used like 18ga wire for the B+ and like 22ga wire for the ground wire??? Where did they think all that extra current was going to go?]

Anyhow, I am beginning my search for a 05-06 mounting bracket, 5072348aa. Not holding out much luck of finding one, as it is a discontinued item from the dealer. Had a few questions for folks here about this:

1. Gotta ask, anyone here have one they want to sell?

2. Are the retainers which came on 02-04 libbys the same as the one needed for an 05-06? If so that would make the junk yard search much easier.

3. Anyone successful in getting an EVIC to stay up without the retainer bracket?

If I can't find a retainer I am toying with the idea putting a "lip" on the rear-facing edge of the EVIC, and gluing a block of wood of the right height in to catch the EVIC at the front edge. The idea being that you'd slide the EVIC in so that lip catches on the headliner then bolt (boy this forum is strict, can't use the word scr3w) into the wood on the other end. Seems like it might work, what do folks think?

Other ideas?

Last edited: