Help with Evic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AbsoluteRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an '05 renegade, looking to get an evic for the following-compass, temperature, gas mpg trip counter etc. What do I need, 04 and up GC or KJ evic? or just the 05 kj? Does anyone have a part # or direction they can send me (other then ebay or the dealer) I'm in central NY Looking to spend 60ish. Thanks!

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
'04 or '05 KJ only EVIC. Considering how rare those are to come by even now, you'll probably be paying more than $60 unless you get lucky.

Boilermaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you have the proper wiring for the tpms transponders in your wheel wells, the '05 evic will not give you pressure readings. An '04 out of a KJ will basically work (its what i have in my '05). Some minor issues with the dome lights, and you need to make sure you have the '04 sensors to go with it.

As Marlon said, unless you get really lucky, you will have a hard time finding what you need for $60. Most EVICs seem to be sold without the the plastic mounting bracket, which is an additional $25 dollars or so from the dealership.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not true, not true, not true. If you don't have factory installed TPMS sensors in your wheels, you can't do ANYTHING except use 04 sensors with an 04 EVIC that has TPMS built into it (04-07 Sport). That is the ONLY year you can use. If you have an 05-07 that came with TPMS sensors in the wheels, meaning the LABS Tire Pressure Warning Light in the dash...tough. YOU CANNOT GET A "TPMS EVIC." There is no such thing. I know everyone with an 06 sport claims they got a TPMS EVIC because when they installed it in their car it is chiming at them about their tire pressures, but it does not have TPMS. That is bunk. All 05-07 EVICs are exactly the same minus the Homelink and base differences. So really there is only 2 options out there. Having a Limited, meaning having the TPMS sensors in your wheels WILL NOT work with an 05-07 EVIC. The EVIC no longer contains the integrated TPMS module, that is why the 04, which did, required training magnets and interfaced directly with the wheels, with no wheel well transponders. In order to have the EVIC read your tire pressures and report it, you must have gotten that $75 option added on from the factory, it required a completely different wiring and parts setup which receive those TPMS signals from the wheel wells, read the actual pressure, and then display that on the EVIC.

So back to these Sport owners installing an EVIC in their car that beeps about the pressure. It is doing that because the car it came out of had the premium pressure system and it is still configured for that. Hooking it into a Sport, which lacks the TPMS function in any capacity (warning light or Monitoring system) and the associated sensors, wheel well transponders and hardware does not reconfigure it as there is no conflicting signal being sent to it saying this car does not have the Monitoring System. Go put that EVIC into a Limited that only has the warning light and it will see the TPMS system and that it is a Warning Light only system, and reconfigure itself. Why nobody has figured this out yet, I don't know. These are the facts, flame away.

AbsoluteRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry, if that was confusing, i DONT want the tpms. Will I eventually find one with everything else except tpms that will work? I'm thinking 60 for the unit, the wiring, bracket(since mine is an 05) and anything else i'd expect to pay more for. I'm not worried about too much of a price, just not crazy dealer fees :)

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not going to happen. Period. Bracket alone is a $25-30 part that goes for $10 at junk yards. The 05-07 EVICs go for hundreds on eBay, when they surface, which is not often. Finding them at junk yards is even more difficult as they are only found in Limited G Package Libertys. Those are not exactly the most common on the road, and especially not wrecked very often. Your budget of $60 is, unfortunatelym, ridiculously low. You need to think around $150, and even that is low. Dealer price on that stuff is closer to $600 as the computer part of the EVIC is 400+, bracket is 30, the housing for the EVIC computer is some ridiculous price that I can't recall offhand now, and you CANNOT buy the EVIC pigtail. The connector plastic piece is 40 bucks. Set your budget higher, and then pray, because they are not common, and not cheap.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not going to happen. Period. Bracket alone is a $25-30 part that goes for $10 at junk yards. The 05-07 EVICs go for hundreds on eBay, when they surface, which is not often. Finding them at junk yards is even more difficult as they are only found in Limited G Package Libertys. Those are not exactly the most common on the road, and especially not wrecked very often. Your budget of $60 is, unfortunatelym, ridiculously low. You need to think around $150, and even that is low. Dealer price on that stuff is closer to $600 as the computer part of the EVIC is 400+, bracket is 30, the housing for the EVIC computer is some ridiculous price that I can't recall offhand now, and you CANNOT buy the EVIC pigtail. The connector plastic piece is 40 bucks. Set your budget higher, and then pray, because they are not common, and not cheap.
Bracket? Built in. If you have map lights, the bracket is there. A little savvy shopping around will net you a deal. I just did this mod to my wifes Liberty, with a TOTAL cash outlay of $100.00. You seem to have this propensity for ******* in people's wheaties, like you are the end-all know-it-all. It's a shame.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bracket? Built in. If you have map lights, the bracket is there. A little savvy shopping around will net you a deal. I just did this mod to my wifes Liberty, with a TOTAL cash outlay of $100.00. You seem to have this propensity for ******* in people's wheaties, like you are the end-all know-it-all. It's a shame.

You are wrong, coming from this "know-it-all." He will not have the bracket. The map lights are mounted in the headliner only in 05+. NO BRACKET. And what does it matter what you paid for an 04 part, I spoke about 05-07 only, as is blatantly clear. I won't even dignify the rest of your comments.

AbsoluteRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I JUST want temp and compass, trip would be nice too (does trip require the tpms, bc I never said anything about wanting tpms)

Not going to happen. Period. /QUOTE]

so the 04 evic I bought on ebay for 50 bucks isn't going to work? I figured on the bracket too, since mine is 05. I was planning 60 for the evic, and then some. I'm not worried about the money, 100 bucks like 04liberty said sounds to about to be what I priced. and titan, your attitude on this bored towards many of the individuals makes it seem that what you beef up for in attitude, makes you lack in credibility, I've seen it since I've joined. Although it makes for some good threads:D

Boilermaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bracket probably won't be there for you in an '05, the map lights are clipped into the headliner. I can't find a pic on the net of the map lights, but its not too hard to double check this. Pull down gently on your map lights, if i remember correctly its only a couple of metal tabs on the sides of the map lights pushing against headliner.

so the 04 evic I bought on ebay for 50 bucks isn't going to work?
Is your new evic from an '04 GC? I don't believe you are going to get a temp display with the evic if it is. There were a couple of posts from people trying something similar buried in the how to thread.

Last edited:

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I JUST want temp and compass, trip would be nice too (does trip require the tpms, bc I never said anything about wanting tpms)

Not going to happen. Period. /QUOTE]

so the 04 evic I bought on ebay for 50 bucks isn't going to work? I figured on the bracket too, since mine is 05. I was planning 60 for the evic, and then some. I'm not worried about the money, 100 bucks like 04liberty said sounds to about to be what I priced. and titan, your attitude on this bored towards many of the individuals makes it seem that what you beef up for in attitude, makes you lack in credibility, I've seen it since I've joined. Although it makes for some good threads:D
Wow...I guess it ISN'T just me....

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no idea if it would work, or how you'd use it, (or even where it is, at the moment) but I have a bracket out of a 2ooo WJ that came with my EVIC that I didn't need. Yours for the cost of shipping... I'll see if I can dig it up and get you the p/n if you want.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one of those, too, so I can tell you they don't fit. They come close, though. I don't think I, personally, would do it, but you could make it work. The way those brackets fit into the car is by fitting snug against the roofline and being glued in place. There is a part where it angles in (halfway down the bracket at the front facing part) which corresponds to the roof sloping down. Ask other people who have had to install the bracket, maybe they can add something by way of description that I am not conveying. The WJ does not fit, though. Not without modifying it which would jeopardize its stability and the surface are that contacts the roof for glue to bond to.