HOW TO: Install an EVIC or OTIS (overhead computer)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03simsliberty

Reaction score
Does anybody know what wire is the "hot" wire for the blue and white one to power the EVIC?

Thanks,
Jim

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Find an ignition-switched wire under the dash. Can be anything. Good candidate, if you want to run to the fuse box and dont have a sunroof--- use the sunroof circuit.

-Blu

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Find an ignition-switched wire under the dash. Can be anything. Good candidate, if you want to run to the fuse box and dont have a sunroof--- use the sunroof circuit.

-Blu
I used one of those add-a-fuse units and went to #13 which is the one that would be used by the EVIC/OTIS if it came from the factory. Worked out just fine.

abozic75

Reaction score
just bought an 04 overhead off ebay for $50. Should be delivered tomorrow. I sure hope there are no suprises when installing. I'll need to get an ambient air senor, anyone know of a good place to get one without going to the dealer?

03simsliberty

Reaction score
Thanks, BluPhant... I don't know if this was a good idea or not, but we spliced it into the radio power, everything works fine... But, when we go to turn the headlights on, the EVIC shuts off, any ideas to why this happens?

Jim

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, BluPhant... I don't know if this was a good idea or not, but we spliced it into the radio power, everything works fine... But, when we go to turn the headlights on, the EVIC shuts off, any ideas to why this happens?

Jim
Hmmm, the radio illumination dims when you turn on the lights, is it possible you tapped into that power wire by mistake? Then when you turn the lights on maybe the voltage drops too far and shuts the EVIC off? Just a thought...

03simsliberty

Reaction score
Hmmm, the radio illumination dims when you turn on the lights, is it possible you tapped into that power wire by mistake? Then when you turn the lights on maybe the voltage drops too far and shuts the EVIC off? Just a thought...

Thanks, Corwyyn
I'll have to check that out... But I have another question, (sorry for all of the questions) What does the Fuse B+ wire do and is it really needed?

Thanks,
Jim

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Corwyyn
I'll have to check that out... But I have another question, (sorry for all of the questions) What does the Fuse B+ wire do and is it really needed?

Thanks,
Jim
Looked at the wiring diagram and I can't figure out exactly what it does, but since it connects with the other wires to the data connector I would say it is necessary. Anyone else with more knowledge of the system know what that particular circuit is for?

03simsliberty

Reaction score
hopefully tomorrow I can check to see why the EVIC shuts off when the headlights turn on...I did check the radio has a 10 wat fuse.. and I think the evic uses a 13... where would I get one of them add-on fuse kits? and another question.. is the evic suppose to show witch door is open or not? because mine doesn't.
thanks,
Jim

maverick7321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick question is the wireing connector for 02 dodge intreped evic model number 04760145BG the same connector I need for my 06 Liberty EVIC model number 56010520AD

03simsliberty

Reaction score
Update... We got everything fixed, it says on when the headlights are on and everything. :) But I do have a question.... Nothing really important, but when the rear doors and latch are open, the EVIC displays them... But when the driver/passenger door is open, it doesn't show them as being open. Does anybody know why this happens?

Thanks,
Jim

tooslow

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been said before,

I have read through this thred from the start and now I am confused.

I own a 2005 Liberty/ well actually itis a Chrokee for us.

Which year EVIC will work to get the outside temp and from which model,

will a 04 Grand Cherokee work on my Liberty including temp?
is there any other models that will work?

Martin

fouros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok

this worked on MY 04 Model,

before i found my 04 EVIC with TPMS and homelink i used an OTIS from an 05 RAM with a Liberty Housing

with your 05 you WILL need to purchase a retainer from a good online jeep parts supplier as the 05+ models didnt come with one

for external temp to work you will need an evic or OTIS from an 04+ KJ or an 05+ RAM as the bus system changed from 04

this worked for me we cannot 100% guarantee it will work for you

jhawkins002

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an '07 Liberty, and recently found a cheap '99 EVIC on eBay. I am looking for a newer model so the temp, etc. will work but in the meantime I have a quick question.

I have noticed that in addition to the temperature not working, the door alerts, etc. also do not display on the unit. When I put it into test mode by clicking the C/T + Reset buttons, it gives a J1850 error (PCI bus communication error). Would the same communication mismatch that prevents the temperature from displaying also be causing the lack of door alerts and the J1850 error?

The factory dash evic module shows all messages correctly, so I know the bus itself should be communicating fine... it seems it must be either a faulty EVIC or a communication mismatch due the older unit...

BTW, the EVIC does display mpg and allow for configuring vehicle functions such as door locks, etc. - so there is, at least, some communication going on.

Thanks for anyone who can provide some advice!

duda

Reaction score
Hi!
I have 2003 KJ sport with second-hand EVIC 2005 installed a few days ago.
It is working perfectly, except ambient temperature, because I have not temperature sensor installed (dispalys --)
I know, that 2004 and later KJ`s works only with 2004 and later EVIC`s (re-coded PCI information about temp.), but what about old KJ with new EVIC?
Will I have temeperature reading in my situation (2003 KJ, 2005 EVIC) when I install temperature sensor? Is new EVIC compatible with old 2003 KJ BCM?
I live outside USA, temp sensor cost about 50$ (new), so I have to know before buying one.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online