HOW TO: Install an EVIC or OTIS (overhead computer)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nightowl90028

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well..i removed the dome light and i dont have a bracket..i read thru this post and i see you guys give good details but its strung out thru 10 pages..and i get sorta confused if i dont have the bracket underneath the dome light im ok right..and after i get my evic can you somehow tell me my next step then ill follow the directions from the other site i think it was blakbox.com or something..thanks for the help

Boilermaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't remember my install being that much different than the page linked in the first post. The only difference for those with '05 or later was having to get that bracket but not needing to install a temp sensor. Almost anything you need to know about the bracket (unfortunately the pics of the bracket are gone) is in posts 20 and 22 in this thread by thx1138.

Last edited:

nightowl90028

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply..i thought the harness plugs into the evic or otis and then the wires run down the a-pillar and connect into the fuse panel. or do i have it turned the wrong way. i think im going with a Evic since the features are better. all i really wanted was MPG and DTE so maybe Otis will be cheaper and easier since those are the only two features my main concern was the way to install the harness..Thanks again for the help:)

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious to know - has anyone completed this on an '07? I think they changed some things on the '07 (such as no throttle cable), and I am curious to know if anything changed on the BCM as well.

From what I am reading, for the temp to work I'll need an '04 or later EVIC from a Dakota or Liberty, right?

Sorry, I know, seems like the same question over and over. I am just really interested to see if the '07's still work. FWIW, the '07's still come with the temp sensor installed - at least mine with a 9/06 build date does.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Just curious to know - has anyone completed this on an '07? I think they changed some things on the '07 (such as no throttle cable), and I am curious to know if anything changed on the BCM as well.

From what I am reading, for the temp to work I'll need an '04 or later EVIC from a Dakota or Liberty, right?

Sorry, I know, seems like the same question over and over. I am just really interested to see if the '07's still work. FWIW, the '07's still come with the temp sensor installed - at least mine with a 9/06 build date does.
It'll work. It's not like they changed the Bus or anything. Even though the KJ has had its changes over the years, none of them have been really huge to the point where workarounds can't be done. Get an EVIC for an '04 or later and be done with it. I recommend the EVIC instead of the Dakota's OTIS... installing an OTIS just isn't worth it, lol.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife's 04 came with it already installed.

StarDreamers.us

Reaction score
Added an 03 GC unit to my 05 Sport. Everything works except the temp sensor. Tried the 03 temp sensor no luck. Then tried an 05 temp sensor. Did not work. Any ideas? Thanks!

Last edited:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
StarDreamers - the temp gauge will not work and never will. I'm not an expert on why, but I think the BUS system is different.

If you want the temp readout to work on a 2004+ KJ, you need a 2004+ EVIC.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
StarDreamers - the temp gauge will not work and never will. I'm not an expert on why, but I think the BUS system is different.

If you want the temp readout to work on a 2004+ KJ, you need a 2004+ EVIC.

The BUS is the same. The way the message is delivered to the EVIC is different. :p

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Of Course I didnt get the pigtail with mine!

Ok, I have connectors with sufficient GA wire that will fit the pins.
What i need to know ( and couldn't tell from the provided images) what pins go to what.

IE 1 = Ground 2= Data etc...
You must be registered for see images

The Evic is out of an 04 and going into an 06.
Any help is appreciated! Thanks Guys.

Uffe

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I'm new to the forum here. I just wanted to add some info to this good thread on EVICs.

I did this guide on LOST: http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=27605

concerning EVIC installation.

I have an 03 so maybe the sensor stuff is not affecting me - but I am puzzled why it would be suddenly changed. My temp sensor works fine.

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Ok i got it plugged in tonight. ( didnt install it because 06's dont have the mounting bracket under the headliner)
Everything worked wonderfully except for the temp lol. Its a 04 module in a 06 libby. It said --F. ive read elsewhere that it will work eventually ( after some temp changes) all i did was drive around the block. Ill post the pinout i used later.

chrispitude

Reaction score
I have a 2006 KJ and thanks to this thread, I realize I need the plastic mounting bracket. I'll call the dealer and get it ordered.

pictures here!

Does anyone have any tips on getting the bracket into the headliner cavity, and on gluing/attaching and centering it properly?

Great information in this thread, keep it up!

- Chris

tdamocles

Reaction score
Just performed EVIC install.

These directions were great and if you follow it exactly you will not have a problem. I used the floppy drive connector as the evic module connector. You have to grind it on one side to get it to install easier. Also the floppy drive pin holes must be slotted(with a tiny screwdiver) so the connector can slide onto the evic contacts. Also, remove the wires from the floppy drive connector and squeeze the the contacts together oh so slightly. This will make it a tight fit when installed on the evic. If you don't, you may have the evic turn off when installed because the contacts disengage from the evic when pressure is applied to the wire . One more thing, I got an evic from a 2005 Liberty for my 2004 Liberty with sunroof controls - the sunroof switch is different. No need to worry because the switch clips in to the housing and is easy to remove. I used an utiility knife when cutting the headliner (make sure you have a nice blade and watch that you don't cut any of the existing wires.)

Last edited:

chrispitude

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have also completed my EVIC install. You can find pictures here:

my EVIC installation pictures

Informative comments are given for each picture. The pictures can also be made larger to see more detail. I couldn't have done it without this thread!

- Chris

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's so special about the EVIC anyway.

MPG, Miles left per tank, easier to program functions, Compass, Outside Temp if you can get the right year (I didn't), Some have TPMS.

Is it worth several hundred dollars? Not in my opinion. Is it worth the $20 I spent on the EVIC, Bracket, and Pigtail? Without a doubt, IMO.