HOW TO: Change Your Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

t_bois

Reaction score
K&N makes a good one and it has a nut on the end to help those of us who don't have a filter wrench or a gorilla type grip.

I also like filling my filter with oil before I install it; just don't keep filling it until it's full or you have some spill out when you tilt it, but you should be able to fill it more then half way.

samlesher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there any secrets to getting at the oil filter? I normally pull and flex the bottom of the bumper panel (air dam?) out and squeeze my arm up in there, but it scratches the heck out of my arm. Am I missing an easier way to access it?

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get mine from the top of my kj, also from below, even with my skids

Sent from my Home Phone using Tapatalk 2

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there any secrets to getting at the oil filter? I normally pull and flex the bottom of the bumper panel (air dam?) out and squeeze my arm up in there, but it scratches the heck out of my arm. Am I missing an easier way to access it?

Do you have the larger mechanical fan shroud? If you do I'm not sure how to make it easier as I have the same thing. Total pain trying to get up in there.

If you don't have the big shroud then get the filter from the top - actually pretty easy that way.

Another option is a remote oil filter kit - though if not done just as described in the instructions there's the possibility of leaking. But I've considered doing it on mine because I'm getting weary of the arm scratches and contortions just to get the filter off :Frustrated:

Bob