how much ground clearance?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tan's2002kjlimited

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The original question still hasn't been answered. Okay, for example, I
have an '02 with 245/75/16 tires, without me going out in below zero temps with a measuring tape, can anyone tell me aprox how much room between the ground and the bottom of my diff there is?

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think its the diff catching whilst driving along the tracks and there are large rocks juting out which couild do damage.

are you saying that a locker it strong enough to resist scraping over them

if you are catching rocks with your diff then like I said before
LEARN TO DRIVE
you are supposed to put your wheels on the rocks not straddle them
if they are buried then you should not be there
if you must be there and you know there is a chance you will hit 1 then you should be in 4 low
first gear going as slow as you can
so when you hit 1 you can back up and move to 1 side or the other
if they are so big that they cause 1 wheel peel then a locker is in order

Lockers add nothing in external strength only internal
and a good locker is 100% reliable 100% of the time under ANY condition

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hardly, there are plenty of good yota platforms

I am not saying I would do it, but for practicality and cost, why build up a KJ when you could start off with something else cheaper and have half of it ready to go?

I have no problem with the IFS on the kj, but my disco axles are much better for certain things. but even comparing those axles to others, they could even be better.

it all comes down to what your end result is, and I suppose brand preference.
All toyata's,pickup or suv,are under recall for rotting frames,I believe it applies to all from '05 and older.

No thank you(blarg),plus your not starting out with anything better then a KJ when they all have IFS anyways.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The original question still hasn't been answered. Okay, for example, I
have an '02 with 245/75/16 tires, without me going out in below zero temps with a measuring tape, can anyone tell me aprox how much room between the ground and the bottom of my diff there is?

Ive never measured under my rear diff but with the rustys lift upfront and 245/70/16 tires I have right at 9.5in under the lowest point on the front skid. I want to say you should have around 9" under the rear diff but Im nore sure..

Had 8" with the OME medium duty coils with the same size tires.

KJ04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mkay, here is the SFA section on LOST, sit back and read through it all to determine if this route might be worthwhile for you. It is, however, very expensive to do, and there are still various bugs to work out with a conversion swap.

As has already been mentioned, pehaps trading in one of your KJ's on a different platform vehicle that has parts more readilly available in your country might also be a better and cheaper solution for you.

Good luck with your venture.

http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=73&sid=3507ac98fd992b4b371abdcf1a77ef2f

Last edited:

tan's2002kjlimited

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive never measured under my rear diff but with the rustys lift upfront and 245/70/16 tires I have right at 9.5in under the lowest point on the front skid. I want to say you should have around 9" under the rear diff but Im nore sure..

Had 8" with the OME medium duty coils with the same size tires.

Thanks JJster. Guess I'll have to wait till there's 8-9" of snow on the ground and see if I leave pumpkin marks behind me.(naughty)

MKay

Reaction score
thank u all for the info ideas.

i will be sticking with my kj and i will when tjkj2002 has finished tinkering order a sfa kit for my off road vehicle.

for my road biast one i am ordering a frankenlift and fitting 245/70/16

j-thomson. up here i dont drive round mud parks and we dont have vast open land with trails, we have green lanes and tracks belonging to estates and if you stray to the side by so much as an inch to run the tyre over a rock the ramblers association will have the lane shut the next day!
as the ruts deepen rocks that were submerged become outcrops and unless you get out and dig them up you need more ground clearance not a driving lesson! or locker for that matter so mind your manners.

Jeepman56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good post, I was wondering the same, I can never remember to measure it myself. How is the stocks lowest clearence compared to say a Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, or KK?

Last edited:

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '03 KJ has 20cm to the bottom of the rear diff and 17cm to the lowest part of the front skid plate.

Cheers :)

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
j-thomson. up here i dont drive round mud parks and we dont have vast open land with trails, we have green lanes and tracks belonging to estates and if you stray to the side by so much as an inch to run the tyre over a rock the ramblers association will have the lane shut the next day!
as the ruts deepen rocks that were submerged become outcrops and unless you get out and dig them up you need more ground clearance not a driving lesson! or locker for that matter so mind your manners.

well now that I am home I can reply
#1) I DO NOT DO MUD I can not stand the cleaning that comes with it
#2) if you are being told that you can not avoid something that will damage your rig then you should not drive there

You are the one who asked about this stuff
I only answered the question so dont get upset with me and tell me to mind my manners
I would have told you what I just did rather than tell you to learn to drive
In the situation you describe the answer is to not go there
The thing I have a problem with is you called them "green lanes"
have you pointed out to the owners or managers that if they force people to hit these offending rocks they greatly increase the chance of some one busting open a diff or worse an oil pan or gas tank and spilling from only a quart to several gallons of a petroleum product all over their "green lane"
that would make for a not so green lane
also keep in mind while today 31's may just clear the offending rock in a year even 33's will not if there is not way around
I am picturing a 1 way "2 track" road if this is so and you can not avoid something that may damage your rig I would stay away