how much ground clearance?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
the lowest point will be the bottom of the rear diff, only thing that raises that is taller tires, so is that the measurement you want or???

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
only thing that raises diffs are taller tires. the way to get taller tires to stuff is longer travel suspension. sometimes the only way to get enough of anything is to start cutting in to things.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lowest point on the KJ is the rear diff ,aka the pumpkin
the only way to get it higher off the ground is bigger tires
the only way to get bigger tires is with a lift

The stock tire size is about 29" or less
the most common tire size with a lift is 245/75 R16 ,which is just s smidge under 31"
from 29" tall tires to 31" tall tires you will gain 1" under your pumpkin
keep this in mind ,a Jeep running on 33's will only have 1" more under their diff than the same Jeep with 31's but will have a huge loss in power which can only be made up by regearing

advantages to lifting a liberty
and adding bigger tires over a TJ
lifting the KJ 2" with new coils and adding 31's will gain 3" every where but the rear diff
do the same lift and tires to a TJ and you still have a low hanging front diff

If you want to gain off road ability then lift and tires will help some
but a locker will be night and day ,even a rear locker will be huge ,more than a lift
with a locker you can drag your diff off of what ever it gets stuck on

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
people tend to get carried away with lifting. I would first get tires that can handle some action. Start with that, then find out what is holding you back the most, if its traction, a lift doesnt do anything unless its traction due to lack of articulation. If clearance really is an issue, get some bigger springs, but keep the same tires for the time being.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
unless its traction due to lack of articulation

a lift will not help much at all if this is the issue
better off spending the money on a locker

lifts make it so you can clear bigger tires
bigger tires ,most times, get better traction
you can have Iroks on you Jeep ,lift a wheel with an open diff
and you will not move

KJ04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mkay, I just have to ask since I'm not familar with the Scottish highlands. You previously mentioned you needed to drive in deep powder and on peat.
How deep is the powder and does peat ever freeze to the point of being solid?

What other type of vehicles are getting around through it in your area.

Question being, I recently encountered some partially frozen peat, which looked fairly solid on top but, when I got off into it, I droped like a rock and had to get winched back out of it. As for powder, my deepest encounter was a 3 ft. snow drift about 20 yards in length and managed to power through it..... I'm also locked front and rear.

I've got 3'' from my lift kit + 1.5" from my tires. I run a 265/75/16 - 32" Mud tire which is concidered the "MAX" on a KJ, unless you go to a mega bucks SFA conversion in order to run 35's.

Hope this gives you a better veiw of a lifted Liberty for what you are trying to achive with it.

Last edited:

MKay

Reaction score
what does a SFA involve?

i think its the diff catching whilst driving along the tracks and there are large rocks juting out which couild do damage.

are you saying that a locker it strong enough to resist scraping over them

in 2002 we had 9' but not in drifts, its constant all th way into town untill the snow blowers come out. im not suggesting driving that but the icelanders drive in some serious stuff with big tyres and i would like to be able to have a go in the shallower stuff or if it hardens and i can get on top of it.

http://www.icelandprivatetours.is/home/private-super-jeep-tours/super-jeep-photos/myndnr/2/

obviously all vehicles are dfferent but i want to do this to my jeep kj and im quite willing to do whats nessersary i just need your expertise to help me plan what to do.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
OK so now you are wanting to compare the Jeep Liberty KJ to a purpose built rig. The ones you have provided a link to have thousands of dollars of modifications done to them so that can go where they go.
Simply put the KJ in present form will never be like those rigs, NOW if you have the money and resources then a SFA (Solid Front Axle) is in order. LOSTKJS has a great source of reference in what all is needed. Basically replacing your front current suspension / diff with a SFA, also may as well replace the transfer case etc , then you will be able to run much larger tires (33/35 inch) and float over the snow and ice.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you are better off starting a project for something like that with a different vehicle platform. axles, diffs, everything needs to be built strong and geared correctly to even think about turning those tires.

start with a toyota

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a lift will not help much at all if this is the issue
better off spending the money on a locker

lifts make it so you can clear bigger tires
bigger tires ,most times, get better traction
you can have Iroks on you Jeep ,lift a wheel with an open diff
and you will not move

thats my point, a bigger lift ie longer travel, helps keep wheels on the ground so you gain traction.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
you are better off starting a project for something like that with a different vehicle platform. axles, diffs, everything needs to be built strong and geared correctly to even think about turning those tires.

start with a toyota

start with a Toyota ??:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

There are plenty of Jeeps that can be built just the same with no problems

what about all the SFA KJs out running around now, why go out and buy a cheap junk Toyota to build on????

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tommudd Quote:
Originally Posted by offrovering

start with a toyota

start with a Toyota ??:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

There are plenty of Jeeps that can be built just the same with no problems

what about all the SFA KJs out running around now, why go out and buy a cheap junk Toyota to build on????
DOUBLE :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Why start with a vehicle that will have the frame rot from under it,it's not if it will since they are proven to rot.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hardly, there are plenty of good yota platforms

I am not saying I would do it, but for practicality and cost, why build up a KJ when you could start off with something else cheaper and have half of it ready to go?

I have no problem with the IFS on the kj, but my disco axles are much better for certain things. but even comparing those axles to others, they could even be better.

it all comes down to what your end result is, and I suppose brand preference.

Members online

No members online now.