How do I wash this???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
See TBJ, even little gif dude has a pint of Guinness in hand.

TC, I'm going to take the intake, heatshield, battery, couple of other things... out and bag + tape up all the sensitive stuff before applying any harsh soap or emulsifying chemical agents to my KJs tender bits.

You guys drink way more different kinds of beer than I do....haha

Anyway Ian, I spray simple green on everything under the hood and spray it off with no drama. It works good even when I had mud splattered everywhere. The only thing that I do is stuff a rag in the intake and I think you don't really even need to do that. I just do it in the driveway with the garden hose. Just my experience.

Dave

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without sorting through the garbage in the thread, I can't tell if the problem has been solved or not.

So, I'm just going to go with what I use.

I use Meguiar's Super Degreaser. Simple Green is great, but Meguiar's Super Degreaser just makes everything melt off. I rarely have to use a pressure washer. Just a simple hose off with a little agetation on the worst areas cleanes everything up.

I don't generally cover anything up either. Depends on how old the car is.

I use an electric leaf blower to dry everything off.

Some of my work... (I've cleaned the Heep's motor, but I haven't taken pictures that I can find on photobucket.)
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without sorting through the garbage in the thread, I can't tell if the problem has been solved or not.

So, I'm just going to go with what I use.

I use Meguiar's Super Degreaser. Simple Green is great, but Meguiar's Super Degreaser just makes everything melt off. I rarely have to use a pressure washer. Just a simple hose off with a little agetation on the worst areas cleanes everything up.

I don't generally cover anything up either. Depends on how old the car is.

I use an electric leaf blower to dry everything off.

Some of my work... (I've cleaned the Heep's motor, but I haven't taken pictures that I can find on photobucket.)

That's some sweet work you've done there. I've got a room and beer if you're willing to make the drive!!

The problem hasn't been resolved yet. It's been raining way too hard way too much. I can't get out and crack the hood and ....... Wait, I'll let the rain do it for me!:D I'll see if I can find some of this magic degreaser you speak of. Most cool things are hard to come by in this back water berg.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Simple Green is a degreaser, can't really tell what's on your engine, but you don't seem to need simple green, why don't you just use soapy water and hose it all with soap and let it sit just a minute or so and then then hose them off? Simple green works but it gets stuck a little and that thing smells bad. I used it once, it is OK but nothing special, make sure you cover transformer and battery.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's some sweet work you've done there. I've got a room and beer if you're willing to make the drive!!

The problem hasn't been resolved yet. It's been raining way too hard way too much. I can't get out and crack the hood and ....... Wait, I'll let the rain do it for me!:D I'll see if I can find some of this magic degreaser you speak of. Most cool things are hard to come by in this back water berg.
Thanks!

I don't drink and Canada is a little out of my mobile detailing range.lol

The only place I know to get it is online. There are a few stores that sale it, so I am sure one ships to Canada. Here is a link to it...
http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.asp?T1=MEG+D10801

It is $15.99 a gallon, but 1 concentrated gallon makes a lot of spray bottles. It is a very useful degreaser with multiple uses, not just for vehicle use.

wow you should see my engine bay...
youd be horrified..
I dunno, I've seen some really bad engine bays in my time.

I even caked mine with a crap load of mud a few times. Takes a little while to find all of the hidden places it got it.

Last edited:

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on an additional note here... I like to use armour all tire foam on all my plastic and rubber when I detail everything up... spray it on, let it set, wipe it off with a towel... leaves your black stuff looking nice and black, and your grey stuff nice and grey... also works excellent on your mirrors and cowl and door handles to make them look black instead of have that slightly blue-ish look they get

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on an additional note here... I like to use armour all tire foam on all my plastic and rubber when I detail everything up... spray it on, let it set, wipe it off with a towel... leaves your black stuff looking nice and black, and your grey stuff nice and grey... also works excellent on your mirrors and cowl and door handles to make them look black instead of have that slightly blue-ish look they get
The only thing about using a tire shine on rubber under the hood is that it will attract dust and when it does, it is harder to remove. If you live on a dirt road, like myself, or go off-roading often, then it isn't worth it. Simply keeping it all clean is the best thing to do.

I put 303 Aerospace Protectant on rubber and plastic under the hood of my customer's cars, though. I also like to use CD2 Engine Detailer. Leaves everything looking nice and shiney.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to mention that tire shine promotes dry rot
Depends on whether it is a older silicone based, newer silicone based or water based. Even newer silicone based tire shines don't promote dry rot like the older ones do. Never heard of a water based shine promoting dry rotting.

I use them religiously. Never had a tire dry rot. My dad has though. Funny thing was, he never used tire shine. Weird.:p

If you are using a new type, off the shelf tire shine, you don't need to worry about dry rotting. I don't know where you would find a tire shine that dry rots tires anymore.

Last edited:

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, took the soak and wait advice and it worked pretty well. I used some See-Bee A833 aircraft soap and it worked amazingly well. I cut it 50/50 with water and used a garden sprayer to apply it. Didin't eat the paint, just the grease. It's an awesome emulsifier and chewed through the oil and dirt like nothing. I removed the air intake and battery, bagged the throttle body and went at it.

Before....

After.....

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
After last winter's salt excursion into the Rockies, my engine bay required some serious clean up. I removed a lot to get at and clean the individual components and washing began with Meguires soapy bucket. The firewall was gunked and removing the intake,battery,airbox, and moving the fusebox and overflow container out of the way etc helped in cleaning areas that would have corroded, if salt would have been left behind.
35034[/ATTACH]"]

Two days of careful detailing brought back a like new under the hood again.

Attachments

• JeepMeguires3b.jpg
    JeepMeguires3b.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 0