How do I make my jeep look like this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of suspenion upgrades and body modifications would be necessary to make my liberty look like this?

You must be registered for see images

The entire front end and suspension have been reworked, allowing the Liberty to fit 35" M/T tires. Total lift is about 5", with a Jeepin' by Al 2" K Member Cradle Drop, new front steel upper A Arms, and a Tri-Angulated 4 Link at the rear axle. To help turn the 35" Tires, the Liberty has been regeared to 4.88; the lift kit is also equipped with Bilstein 5100 shocks. To provide more traction offroad, ARB air lockers, front and rear, as well as an ARB Air Compressor, were added. Skid plates, bumpers, and rock rails protect the underside of the Liberty

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of suspenion upgrades and body modifications would be necessary to make my liberty look like this?

The entire front end and suspension have been reworked, allowing the Liberty to fit 35" M/T tires. Total lift is about 5", with a Jeepin' by Al 2" K Member Cradle Drop, new front steel upper A Arms, and a Tri-Angulated 4 Link at the rear axle. To help turn the 35" Tires, the Liberty has been regeared to 4.88; the lift kit is also equipped with Bilstein 5100 shocks. To provide more traction offroad, ARB air lockers, front and rear, as well as an ARB Air Compressor, were added. Skid plates, bumpers, and rock rails protect the underside of the Liberty
Unless you want a expensive lawn ornament it will take this...................

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
even with all the upgrades out there you can do for IFS, is it really not functional unless you do a SFA Swap? I want to run 35's...and I want a taller lift...but I also don't want to spend 10K on rock lizards kit....+ I like the looks of an IFS liberty on 35's VS a Solid axle with the same

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
even with all the upgrades out there you can do for IFS, is it really not functional unless you do a SFA Swap? I want to run 35's...and I want a taller lift...but I also don't want to spend 10K on rock lizards kit....+ I like the looks of an IFS liberty on 35's VS a Solid axle with the same

If you want 35s then SFA is the way to go,
By the way you do know why that thing is for sale don't you?
Cause it doesn't work well with that lift and size tires period
plus do you know how much he sunk into that one?
if it worked he would still be running it

But some have tried 35s and more lift but torn up parts, lots of work etc for a basically trail rig, not an everyday take me anywhere rig
32s and 4 inches of lift ( done the right way of course works good over the long haul ) Mines got over 190,000 lifted miles running various sized tires ( 32s for the last almost 90,000 ) geared pretty good with 4.10s and a great lift
A lot of us have been doing this KJ thing for 10 years plus, we know what works, what doesn't and build them as such.
Over 30 have been through my garage over the years and trust me if there was a way that it could be done we've tried it:happy175:

Mine on the right, Johns on the left
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
and just for shi*s and giggles
JBA steel diff with 4.88s gears and TruTrac installed 3099.61
JBA coilover 6 inch lift 5676.50
I had old school arithmetic but I think even with new math those two items add up to about 8776.11 , thats without regearing the rear and other items you'll need
Cost money to be tall and proud:icon_lol:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score

That 05 looks good in the pic but that's all. It's just a photo queen.

If I wanted IFS and to run 35's I would just get a JK to start with.......and spend thousands less than converting a KJ. That's just me.

Just ask tjkj how much time and money he has in his KJ. And he did all the work himself and knows what he is doing and it is a beautiful thing.

Just saying.

Dave

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:happy175:You can spend a couple grand and get it to "look" like this just good luck driving it and making it last:happy175:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and just for shi*s and giggles
JBA steel diff with 4.88s gears and TruTrac installed 3099.61
JBA coilover 6 inch lift 5676.50
I had old school arithmetic but I think even with new math those two items add up to about 8776.11 , thats without regearing the rear and other items you'll need
Cost money to be tall and proud:icon_lol:
Tell me about costs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

$10k is nothing when your going to have to spend like $1500-$2500 for wheels and tires alone(that may last 20k-25k miles at best).

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
brings tears to my eyes, it sounds like for the height & tires I want to play with I should be looking at a different vehicle all together :(.....
So 4" Lift and 32's is the max functional option before SFA,...? That picture up there with yours on the right and johns on the left, are they both 4" lift? the black one looks slightly taller... different tire size too...
Is it just as simple as swapping out my franky for 4" parts? I was reading about needing J.E reel cv's too, obviously a re-gear...

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im at 4.25" lift and could easily run (and have test ran) 33" tires.

BUT 33" tires require 4.88s, steel front diff, alot of work for 33s to fit on a 4.25" lift. But I also run 2" bumpstops in the rear with my 32.2" tires. So I have done some work back there to make them tuck nicely.

Currently im making a 5" lift for one of my KJs, and will run 33" tires, possibly 34", most likely 33" tires. But im not new to this game and have a highly modified KJ drivetrain.

For 35" tires to fit, you gotta stretch the wheel base (which i am doing), custom lenght drive shaft with SYE (which I have), 4.88 gears (i have 4.56s and 4.88s aint nothing), then you gotta worry about the front CVs (nice weak point, cheap too), Wheel Hubs, and steering. Thats why its not gonna work very long if you actually offroad, now Mall Crawlin, it will work

Thats why Im staying with 33" tires.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
brings tears to my eyes, it sounds like for the height & tires I want to play with I should be looking at a different vehicle all together :(.....
So 4" Lift and 32's is the max functional option before SFA,...? That picture up there with yours on the right and johns on the left, are they both 4" lift? the black one looks slightly taller... different tire size too...
Is it just as simple as swapping out my franky for 4" parts? I was reading about needing J.E reel cv's too, obviously a re-gear...

Mine 265-75-16s/ 4.10s little over 4 inches of lift
zJohns was about 3.5 or so then, / 245-75-16s/ 4.10s

How much do you currently have with the Franky?
middle of hub/wheel to bottom of flare in front

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Over the last 11 years or so that I've been on the KJ forums I've seen a lot of builds that went terribly wrong. Most wanted to show that they could build a KJ with 5-6 inches of lift on the cheap and show some of us it could be done.
Problem was they cobbled up a pile of junk and a short time later it was sitting broken, bent and busted.
To lift one of these right and make it last costs money period, just like any other Jeep or 4 wheel drive. Mines got over 198,000 lifted miles on it, ( over 170,000 at or above 4 inches) but was lifted right from the getgo.

So while you may want 35s etc, lots of things come into play that you don't even think about, one of those is tie rods.

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Tom, I measured this morning and I'm 22" in the front. What part of this number equals my lift amount?

I'm up for making the investment on something like the IFS 4" lift (or more if possible), what all would be required to do this properly?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Tom, I measured this morning and I'm 22" in the front. What part of this number equals my lift amount?

I'm up for making the investment on something like the IFS 4" lift (or more if possible), what all would be required to do this properly?

If you are at 22 then you have about 3 inches of lift
The thing is with normal springs like OME/ Ironman is that at about 3.5 inches you'll get spring/ UCA contact over bumps etc. The JBA adjustable coilovers are smaller diameter so you don't have that issue to contend with as much
Of course over that ( 4 inches) you have to deal with the CVs binding/ tie rod ends also are on a pretty good angle etc

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm often questioned about my tie rod ends every time i'm in for an alignment or tire services... they say they're extreme and look like they will break...Whats an upgrade for this then? basically what I'd like to do is put together a list of parts necessary for a lift like yourself....

and with that said, can you run 33's instead of 32 without issue? (I plan on getting rid of my 17" chrome wheels and getting some 16" steels)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm often questioned about my tie rod ends every time i'm in for an alignment or tire services... they say they're extreme and look like they will break...Whats an upgrade for this then? basically what I'd like to do is put together a list of parts necessary for a lift like yourself....

and with that said, can you run 33's instead of 32 without issue? (I plan on getting rid of my 17" chrome wheels and getting some 16" steels)

To run 33s you'd need the JBA front steel diff with 4.88 gears ( front and rear of course) plus some extra work. Is 1/2 more inch ( height wise) worth it to you, thats what you have to ask yourself

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Listen to Tom, 4.88s, and I have been working on my 5" lift for over 6 months, had a few "prototypes" and improved on the design after it was taken on a trip to Colorado. Its not easy or cheap, heck, just the bolts alone were $92.16, just the bolts.

And most likely, im gonna make 3 for the local guys and thats it.....

Last edited:

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im going to shoot for a SFA conversion. I'm not loaded, so I plan on spreading this out over a year or 2 to help with the costs, doing plenty of research and gathering pieces in the meantime. Been doing a lot of reading over on the lost forums for a while now..I think if I take this slowly I can do this properly. I thought to start it would be best to find a decent D30 HP axle and fix that up...get to know it... start from there... I plan on keeping the rear axle as is to save a bit. I'll probably start asking questions over on the lost forums.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online