Hi guys gals 07 liberty issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tallervin

Reaction score
First 07 auto say 100k, running fine wife stopped at Wal-Mart did shopping returned it just wouldn't start, I arrived no clicking, I could feel the start relay closing in control box, nothing from starter. Ideas, later that evening after it cooled off outside took trailer to get and it started like nothing ever happened??

Sent from my LG-D631 using Tapatalk

Madlh24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your battery, might be low on fluid(if it's serviceable). Also, check the battery posts and connectors for corrosion and make sure they're tight. You can Take it to any car parts store to have it tested for amps, it could still be putting out 12v but not have enough cranking amps.

Last edited:

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
most likely the battery , had a similar issue not too long ago only it was preceded by some funky random limp modes and electrical issues.. new battery solved it for me

tallervin

Reaction score
Everything works fine headlights, radio, door locks, just don't engage starter, no clicking, no slow winding over just nothing

Madlh24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could also be a bad/dirty ignition switch.
But always check your battery first, could be as simple as loose terminal connector and or corrosion on posts and connectors. Then, while the battery might have enough power to run the electronics, it might not have the cranking amps to turn the engine over(good voltage but low amps). This can definitely be affected by ambient temperature as well, too hot or too cold(if the battery is going bad).

Last edited:

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Follow all the good advice given above.

Does it start in Neutral instead of Park?
Swap out the Starter Relay with an identical one next to it.

The following is basically a summary of the link on how to start with a broken ignition:

If you are really stuck..pull out the Starter Relay, make sure you are in Park or Neutral, turn ignition key ON. With the Starter Relay removed identify pins 30 and 87 inside the Relay socket and briefly jumper these two pins together with a short section of wire. Provided Fuse 8 (40 A) under the bonnet is good then the engine should turn over and start. This procedure over-rides the ignition switch, the Ignition Actuator Pin, the Starter Relay and the Park/Neutral Interlocks and should at least get you home! If engine does not turn over then check connections on the Starter solenoid/starter motor are good. Your starter motor may have a bad spot on its commutator!

Last edited:

tallervin

Reaction score
Update this morning it was cool outside I turned on key and it started?? I shut it off turned on key and I could hear fuel pump light hum from rear of truck, I never heard that before but it started every time?? I'm thinking either actuator pin or switch I'll update as I find out more

tallervin

Reaction score
Is there a fusable link in the solenoid wire?? If so can it be opening via temperature not over- current??

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is related but radio no longer plays on accessory

Does anything work on accessory? If nothing, then it may be related... something in the ignition switch electrical assembly. If it is JUST the radio that is affected, I don't see how that would be a related item.

tallervin

Reaction score
Does anything work on accessory? If nothing, then it may be related... something in the ignition switch electrical assembly. If it is JUST the radio that is affected, I don't see how that would be a related item.
Nothing no power windows, no radio

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would tend to focus on the electrical ignition switch in that case... make sure the actuator pin is not broken, so that it cannot move the switch to the proper position.

Madlh24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my first car(non jeep) the ignition switch wouldn't turn over the the engine so the idiot previous owner decided to bypass the ignition switch and hardwired a button to the starter motor. When the button started to fail on me I started to dig around and saw that the ignition switch was fried along with the connector and the connector wasn't sold as a stand alone pigtail so I had to search for someone who sold that connector type and I had to re-pin a blank connector and crimp all new wires to make my own pigtail with a new ignition switch of course and that solved it. Point is,I think the ignition switch began to fail because of dirty contracts inside the switch which caused high resistance and ended up melting it. So, I'd take a look at that, because if it is, you want to catch it now before it causes some serious damage(burnt/melted wires, and plastic). Best way to tell if it isn't already visibly damaged, is if it's getting hot while everything is on.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree that the "accessory" position not working needs to be looked at first.

Could be the Actuator Pin Assembly or the ignition switch or both.

Once the ignition switch is accessed and removed from the actuator pin tip....pieces of actuator pin will fall out if it is broken....the ignition switch itself can be rotated using a small flat screwdriver to test if the accessory position works and if the Jeep starts fine every time. Key must be in ignition slot for SKIM activation and to release steering lock!

tallervin

Reaction score
Sorry guys been a minute, back to my liberty issues, first today I replaced broken actuator pin assembly, now have accessory, but not starting, no fuel pump relay, no start relay??
Anybody have the "start circuit" schematic

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys been a minute, back to my liberty issues, first today I replaced broken actuator pin assembly, now have accessory, but not starting, no fuel pump relay, no start relay??
Anybody have the "start circuit" schematic

I cannot find the wiring diagrams for the 2007 Liberty but this is from the 2006...should be similar.

Did this problem you have now of no fuel pump, no starter relay, not turning over only happen once you replaced the Actuator Pin assembly?

If you turn the ignition switch itself with a small flat screwdriver...while in Park or Neutral and key in ignition slot to enable SKIS...does the engine turn over?

Have you checked all fuses under hood and inside the cabin...the 2006 wiring diagram mainly points to fuse 28 (15 A) and fuse 8 (40 A) in the PDC under the hood but there may be changes with the 2007.

Is your SKIS system working OK with the chipped key in the ignition? The SKIS Red LED should light up for a few seconds and then go out after ignition is turned ON...if the LED flashes or stays ON all the time then there is a SKIS problem.

Swap over the ASD relay with an identical next to it.

You will see from the schematic that you expect to get +12 volts on pin 86 of the Starter Relay when the ignition key is turned to Start. Check this with reference to Ground and also with reference to pin 85 of the Starter relay which should be at ground also.

You can try start the Jeep by removing the Starter relay and with the ignition ON, in Park or Neutral, briefly jumper the female pins 30 and 87 together inside the Starter Relay socket. Provided the large 40 a (fuse 8 or whatever) is OK...the engine should turn over and maybe start once we have resolved the fuel pump issue.

So if it turns over and has spark but no fuel then repeat the above excercise but this time also jumper the Fuel Pump Relay pins 30 and 87 together so that the fuel pump runs all the time.

Jumping the Starter Relay pins 30 and 87 together over-rides the ignition switch to give you +12 volts directly through to the Starter Solenoid.

This also over-rides the Interlocks on pin 85 of the Starter Relay which in your case will probably be the same as the 2006 ie the Sensor Transmission Range on the transmission which goes through the PCM and the TCM so as to provide ground to pin 85 of the Starter relay....so you need to check that this pin 85 does indeed go down to ground when the ignition is turned to Start...probably not! Also check if pin 85 of the Fuel Pump Relay does go to Ground and check if pin 86 does get +12 volts under normal Starting Action.

So try the above steps...if the engine turns over but does not fire then check for spark and fuel and check that the SKIS Led is not flashing or ON solid.

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 8

tallervin

Reaction score
All good, someone forgot to reinstall start relay under the hood, thanks 4 all the help and 'billwill' thanks 4 the schematics and yes they helped a bunch

Dm2800

Reaction score
Hi I am also having trouble with starting my kj also. It all started a few months ago while I was cruising in it around town and it suddenly stalled and would not start for anything. No click from the starter, or anything. I looked through all of the fuses and they all looked good. So then we checked the battery to see if it had the correct voltage and it was running at about 12.6v. So then it had me leading to believe there was something to do with the starter, so I pulled the starter off ****** it and it kicked out and spUn just fine. At this point I was pretty stumped. So I put the starter back in and tried starting it and it started up just fine. So I then put everythihinges back together on the kj and tried starting it but it would not start now. But this tI'm I was getting a single click from the starter. At this point I was pretty few up with it so I let it sit overnight and went out to start it and it popped right off and had been running great for about 2 months but recently the starter had been getting a few hiccups and only giving me a single click again. But after turning the key back and forth a few times I can get it to start. Sometimes it will click and other times it will start right up, I just have no idea what it could be. Does anyone else have this problem with it only clicking?

Members online

No members online now.