Help With Mopar Skid Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My brother has a 2006 Liberty Sport. It has the offroad package so it came from the factory with full Mopar skids, tow hooks and a couple of other factory items.

He has graciously decided to give me the skids and the tow hooks for use on my 2005 Liberty Limited. He never off roads, but I do. He does a lot of traveling as he is in college in another state, so he could use the weight loss for better mileage anyway since he will never use them.

My problem is that I need to know what I need to install these on mine.

I am pretty sure that all I need is the nutzerks (I think that is what they are called), but I'm not sure what I need to install the nutzerks

I need six of these (his)...
You must be registered for see images attach

to go into these (mine)...

This is a link to the Mopar install guide.
http://site.justforjeeps.com/guide/82209455.pdf
I know that I need 6xB, and I am pretty sure I only need 1xA.

Does anyone have the part numbers of what I need? I found this part number in another thread... 6505294AA. However, I also read that the two for the trans are different than the ones for the T-Case. If anyone has the parts numbers(s), please let me know.

Also, do I just need one type of screw to install them? Can I get that at the dealer also? Part number for that also?

This is what I have...

The engine and gas tank skids aren't pictures. They are all in good shape, just need to be cleaned.

Thanks!

Idaho08KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did this on my 08 KK. They are called well nuts, and can be ordered at the dealer. I have the tool to install them. PM me and we can talk about getting it to you to borrow if you'd like.

I just sent you a PM. Let me know.

Last edited:

Bikeflyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually its a Riv-nut if it is squeezed in(ala rivet) and weld nut if it is retained or welded on(like a plate or like they use for the hitch on the rear. Not a big deal, but if you order hardware that's the term.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since there is a hole next to the hole for the bolt you could always get some fish-bolts, well thats what i call them but i know there is a proper term, and use them.. They are basically a bolt with a wire on the head to fish them up into the frame and down through the hole, and then just put nuts on them, you could even double nut them, one nut to hold it in the frame and then put on the skid and a second nut to hold that, just use a nylock nut or a nut and lockwasher on the skid so they don't rattle off.

Otherwise if you want it to look OEM then go with the nutserts.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did this on my 08 KK. They are called well nuts, and can be ordered at the dealer. I have the tool to install them. PM me and we can talk about getting it to you to borrow if you'd like.

I just sent you a PM. Let me know.
Awesome man. PM sent back.

Actually its a Riv-nut if it is squeezed in(ala rivet) and weld nut if it is retained or welded on(like a plate or like they use for the hitch on the rear. Not a big deal, but if you order hardware that's the term.
Thanks for the proper term.:)

Since there is a hole next to the hole for the bolt you could always get some fish-bolts, well thats what i call them but i know there is a proper term, and use them.. They are basically a bolt with a wire on the head to fish them up into the frame and down through the hole, and then just put nuts on them, you could even double nut them, one nut to hold it in the frame and then put on the skid and a second nut to hold that, just use a nylock nut or a nut and lockwasher on the skid so they don't rattle off.

Otherwise if you want it to look OEM then go with the nutserts.
That would work for the two in the frame, but the other four are in the cross beam under the ******. I didn't remember seeing holes beside those.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahh ok, forgot about those in the crossbeam!

If you can't get them anywhere else Harbor Freight sells a nutsert kit with the tool and a selection of sizes.

bugnout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drilled out the nutzerts on the rear cross member for both the ****** and transfer case skid and used carriage bolts after I had issues with the factory nutzerts. Much easier and cleaner.

I've been through two sets of nutzerts on the transfer case skid at the side rail and am in the process of creating a plate or fish nuts (as described earlier) to replace the nutzerts. They are very fragile and don't hold up to repeatedly removing the skid plate.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found the part numbers in the FSM I have. I had forgotten that it came with a parts list.:rolleyes:

The "RIVIT" part number is 6505 294AA and the "TOOL, Rivnut" part number is 5013 886AA.

I will be going by the dealer this afternoon to check on prices.

Thanks for the help and for those who offered me the use of their tools. I still may need it.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a long bolt and a nut in the correct size you can fit a nutzer.

no need for any 'special' tool.
I didn't look all that special to me in the picture. Just a bolt and a nut. I am curious to see what the dealers price is though.

I brought a bolt from home so that I could stop by a local hardware store to see what I could find.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RIVET - 6505 294AA - $3.95 a piece.:eek:

TOOL, Rivnut - 5013 886AA - Discontinued.

Crap. Will be going by ACE tonight to figure out some different options.

blackhawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody.

I'm facing the same problem. I don't want to weld nutzers. Any other suggestion to install them?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everybody.

I'm facing the same problem. I don't want to weld nutzers. Any other suggestion to install them?

Which skid?
Transfer case or Transmission?
Transmission I always just drill and bolt them on
Transfer case front can be bolted

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody.

Which exact problem there are a few in this thread. If it's on the cross member you can drill straight through the nutzert hole and use a long bolt.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have one of these in your area they keep the most varied inventory of fasteners in the US;

https://www.fastenal.com/

"Nutzerts" can be installed by using an oversized nut (to hold with a wrench) and a grade 8 bolt with proper threads. put oversize nut around grade 8 bolt and start into "nutzert", then place in hole, hold nut and turn bolt head, preferably with an impact tool to crush it into place.

Bob

blackhawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which exact problem there are a few in this thread. If it's on the cross member you can drill straight through the nutzert hole and use a long bolt.

Yes, it's on the cross member!!

Great, guess it's the easier way.....

Thanks!

blackhawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which skid?
Transfer case or Transmission?
Transmission I always just drill and bolt them on
Transfer case front can be bolted

Just want to install the three skids! (transfer case skid, transmission skid, and the skid that is located under the carter...)

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fastenal has them, they called rivnuts in their catalog, bring in the bolts and they can order.

Can't find info on the grade of the rivnut so use at own risk. Impact helps tremendously with time to get it lined up and flared.