Help! Brake Issue (or lack thereof)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '02 (rear Drum brakes) has been sitting mostly idle for a few weeks because I had back surgery.

I got in it today and took it for a several mile trip and noticed that the brakes did not feel like they wanted to stop the Jeep. Even if I mashed the pedal down hard she wanted to sort of coast to a stop.

No fluids in the driveway and the pedal feels "stiff". Maybe stiffer than I remember.

Any easy checks I can do? I only have basic tools and usually take it in my mechanic when I need/want something done.

I go back to work on Monday and either have to have it fixed or drop it off at my mechanic.

Thanks!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Check fluid level on brake reservoir, if it is down you may need and should inspect your brakes. How many miles on current brakes?
You could try: Suction out current brake fluid and replace with new DOT3 .
Then go for a drive let fluid warm up a bit with brake applications. Then try reversing at 20 km per hour and hit brakes hard to a full stop a few times. You may have faulty piston or be slack/glazed and need it adjusted though rear brake back plate, which depending on model can be adjusted without removing wheels.
Best to have them inspected then you know what really going on (or not)

Last edited:

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks TC, the fluid level looks good and I tried the reversing and stopping thing but it's wet and rainy here today so I'm not getting much grip on the pavement.

Hopefully it will be drier tomorrow and I can at least take off the wheels and have a look-see.

edited to add: I seem to remember a while back I had the same sort of feeling and my mechanic found a broken spring in the drums. What bothers me is the Jeep has just been lightly driven these past few weeks, mostly moving it around the driveway to position another car closer to my garage.

Last edited:

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Tony, great idea!

I'll try that tomorrow as I have had a Bloody Mary already, getting primed for the LSU vs. Florida Gators tonight.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you may have a seized/bad brake cylinder on one of your drums. Our zj had that problem and it took us a little while to figure out what was going on. Thing wouldnt stop for anything till we replaced both cylinders on the rear drums. The cylinder is what pushes the pads out against the drum, much like the piston on a caliper would.

Last edited by a moderator: