WIERD OVERHEATING ISSUE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SXYFSH327

Reaction score
Hey Jeep Peeps ;) OK so no issues with overheating AT ALL except few years ago when I first got it I ended up having to get new radiator and water pump. So last week I'm on my way to clean a house in which the driveway is steep concrete first turning into dirt bumpy rocky ride but perfectly fun and good reason to engage my 4HI it's about a min of run never had a problem before been up it 50x. I also turn off the AC for obvious reasons but this time I get to the top it's boiling over and steaming...but was fine right before the driveway...I thought maybe the AC fan was actually keeping it cool maybe my fan wasn't working otherwise so I spent all week double checking hoses and hookups just to be sure had ZERO issues so yesterday on my way to that house I even take the long big hill on the way it's not as steep but it's much longer prob good 3-4 min I Rev it 4.3 rpm all the way with ac on ...NO ISSUES.. get to driveway this time leave AC on and get to the top and same freaking issue!! I know the basics .. thermostat...radiator cap..etc..the thing is the only variable that's constant is the one and only steep hill that seems to cause issue , it overheats fills my overflow tank, spews out the back breather outlet on the tank, all over my engine compartment...today had to drive outta town pretty long big hill up freeway back...NO ISSUES! so what about this one short but pretty steep hill is causing this??

SXYFSH327

Reaction score
A
Hey Jeep Peeps ;) OK so no issues with overheating AT ALL except few years ago when I first got it I ended up having to get new radiator and water pump. So last week I'm on my way to clean a house in which the driveway is steep concrete first turning into dirt bumpy rocky ride but perfectly fun and good reason to engage my 4HI it's about a min of run never had a problem before been up it 50x. I also turn off the AC for obvious reasons but this time I get to the top it's boiling over and steaming...but was fine right before the driveway...I thought maybe the AC fan was actually keeping it cool maybe my fan wasn't working otherwise so I spent all week double checking hoses and hookups just to be sure had ZERO issues so yesterday on my way to that house I even take the long big hill on the way it's not as steep but it's much longer prob good 3-4 min I Rev it 4.3 rpm all the way with ac on ...NO ISSUES.. get to driveway this time leave AC on and get to the top and same freaking issue!! I know the basics .. thermostat...radiator cap..etc..the thing is the only variable that's constant is the one and only steep hill that seems to cause issue , it overheats fills my overflow tank, spews out the back breather outlet on the tank, all over my engine compartment...today had to drive outta town pretty long big hill up freeway back...NO ISSUES! so what about this one short but pretty steep hill is causing this??
Also I did get a new cap cause this one had to be at least 5 yrs old and seemed to full of antifreeze when I remove it which I don't recall it doing before...I got one of those quick release ones but its still 16 psi or whatever ..is that ok?

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the viscous fan isn't working, lots of cooling air is forced though when you're driving along.

SXYFSH327

Reaction score
Sounds like the viscous fan isn't working, lots of cooling air is forced though when you're driving along.
So...I changed the cap and for two weeks no issues...then this week(last few days) went like this...started overheating but showing on the Guage now which wasn't moving before. So swapped thermostat and got oem radiator cap, then it would get hot and boil over to expansion side but the temp Guage stayed normal. Next new water pump then it would seem fine until I turned off the jeep then 5 sec it would start boiling and stop after a bit but then every couple minutes it would just start boiling again but not filling the expansion tank. Probably did that 3 or 4 times over about 20 min period. THEN it died in middle of road.waited a long time it hesitantly started and roughly made it home :(

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Sounds like heads off time ☹️
Head gasket? Timing? Cut my head off?? Lol Not sure what you mean...
Remove and replace (or machine) heads; or replace the engine.

You could do a compression test to see which cylinders are affected. Lots of different internal and external leaks can happen when head gaskets go bad.

SXYFSH327

Reaction score
Remove and replace (or machine) heads; or replace the engine.

You could do a compression test to see which cylinders are affected. Lots of different internal and external leaks can happen when head gaskets go bad.
The only code I'm throwing is p0152 which makes sense because it's directly below the resovoir overflow air vent which has been spewing all over it for two weeks sogot a new one I will put in tomorrow and then see how it drives *crossing fingers, toes, and EVERYTHING crossable*