Help 05 libirty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tristan907

Reaction score
So I had the lovely job of replacing heater core in my 05 liberty,well I got it all put back together and went to start it only to hear a relay clicking away it's my asd relay also the vehicle shuts off after a few seconds of running. I have included a picture of two plugs that are not connected I believe on is for computer diagnostics I'm not sure about the other. Any help is as appreciated....

Attachments

• 0_0_20180904_133830.jpg
    0_0_20180904_133830.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 11

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
One plug might go to the gadget surrounding the ignition switch.

SKIM, SKREE, or something like that...

If it isn't close to the key or the key's coded wrong it will die after running a few seconds. Try a new battery in your key.

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that stuff unplugged is supposed to plug into a module that detects the codes on your key, the engine thinks it's being hot-wired so anti theft is cutting it off

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that plugs onto the SKREEM Module at the top of the steering column. This module has a wire "loop" encircling the ignition key slot. The ignition key has a chipped key molded into the plastic. When the key is inserted an ignition turned ON the SKREEM module sends a pulse through the wire loop and reads back the code from the chipped key...much like some items at a supermarket have a hidden chip which will set off an alarm on leaving the shop if it was not erased at the till.
The SKREEM module is programmed to have the same code as the chipped key, if it is happy with the code it sends it to the PCM which stores the same code.
If the PCM is happy with this code it energizes the ASD relay.
If the PCM is not happy with this code it will cause the red LED on the left of the cluster to flash continually....will allow the engine to start but will cut out after a few seconds.
If the PCM is happy with the code received but does not receive confirmation from the ASD Relay that it...the ASD Relay has energized...the red LED stays ON all the time...engine will turn over but never fire.....I had this problem due to a broken wire going to the ASD relay coil...I could jumper this relay to get my Jeep to run until I could find the broken wire but this does not mean that jumpering the ASD Relay will enable you to hot-start the Jeep.

There is no battery inside the key other than to lock/unlock the doors...this battery has nothing to do with the SKIS system. New keys can be programmed to have the same code as is present in the SKREEM module and the PCM. If the PCM is replaced the Dealer has to program the correct code into the new PCM. If the SKREEM module at the top of steering column needs replacing...a brand new virgin SKREEM module has to be fitted and programmed by the Dealers...you cannot fit a breaker yard SKREEM module!

So you cannot hot-wire the Jeep by hot wiring the ASD relay...the PCM stops the engine from running through some other means which I do not know of and which I would not reveal here if I did know for obvious reasons!

If needed a PCM, SKREEM module and a set of keys all from the same Jeep can be picked up from a Breaker yard...Dealer then needs to program the VIN number into this PCM.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online