Headlight Replacements

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone replaced the entire headlight assembly with something better? I am not sure that our reflectors are very well designed.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lil, I only see one picture above.

both are working now. The high beams don't seem to be producing light much farther out than the lows but that may be due to not having anything in the distance for reference.

L

lil black liberty

both are working now. The high beams don't seem to be producing light much farther out than the lows but that may be due to not having anything in the distance for reference.

Actually Speedracer..I looked at what I had done..dummy here had actually taken a picture twice with lows on, Forgot to turn the highs on.. but even with Lows you got to remember thats pretty damn bright.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually Speedracer..I looked at what I had done..dummy here had actually taken a picture twice with lows on, Forgot to turn the highs on.. but even with Lows you got to remember thats pretty damn bright.

Gotcha. I figured the pic was playing tricks on my eyes cause they seemed identical except a little bit illuminated on the side of the road. What do I know, I am just a city boy:D

Midgear

Reaction score
come to think of it.. do they even make a headlight assembly similar to the liberator? That'd be SWEET.

Projector lenses, turn signal right below it- I'd buy a set.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
As far as the life cycle question, they have been in for 15 months so far, I'll post when they die, but mine have already lived through a front end collision that was serious enough to have deployed the airbags.

UPDATE

4 months after my accident the (acc. side) PIAA has gone out (low beam only,high beams still function) so 18 months lifespan under extreme shock conditions. Passenger side bulb still going strong... will advise as to it lifespan when it dies.

Cheers All,

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Luke, you should leave the working one alone, to see how much longer it will run for !
I am really surprised that after the collision the other one still worked, and last 4 months.
Mine will probably last 5 years, but then I don't put the miles on the jeep so much as compared to the sedan.

jguthrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone replaced the entire headlight assembly with something better? I am not sure that our reflectors are very well designed.

This is exactly the question I'm looking to ask. I use to have a miata and there was a HELLA swap for the headlight which had a focused beam projection allowing for 85w and 110w bulbs to be used with great accuracy. Even when I HID my 600rr, nothing I had ever seen compared to the Miata HELLA conversion. Simply awesome, and it is a High/Low swap out. Anyone know the answer as to if PIAA, HELLA, anyway makes a housing that swaps out with the stock unit?

Also, as far as I know, in California, you can't even have any lights above your bumper not covered unless off road. So, if you have a light bar or just a few aux lights on top of your bumper uncovered, ON or not, they can ticket you. This is just what what I've heard though. Heck, I'd rock the light bar just for looks, doesn't even need to be plugged in. ;)

jguthrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about these HID BIXENONs?. They are BI for $150 and you can get your usual spectrum of colors. A pair of 6000k might do ok. Too bad we don't have a hella housing option to focus the beam. I've used this same product on my 600rr but it has separate lights for hi/low, but they work great there after 2+years. The bike headlight isn't 100% focused either, but 1) I want to be seen on it and 2) they are focused more so than I was told when people said the beam would be all over the place. =)

Last edited:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
ThunderbirdJunkie WANTS.
He'll even hack up his grille to get it.

Just need to fab up some trim rings to bump up the size so they fit the KJ.
No need to hack up a grille fortunately!

It's nice to have a lathe Eric... I can spin up a pair in no time out of nylon or another machinable plastic.
I even found a cool set of edge mountable led lights that personally think would bring the looks of a KJ up to current style/aesthetics.
Like the cool "Brow lights" on a new Audi!
I found them at all places, Walmart for $30.00 a pair!
A bit ricer for some, but I like em!

Jen told me I have to return/sell off some of my other automotive lights first before I buy a set!

Little does she know, I'll be buying a set tomorrow just to eff around with them!

Bmxbika11

Reaction score
Definately go with the PIAA Xtreme Whites 9007. I asked LibertyTC for some advice about replacing my crap stock headlights and he directed to those bulbs. I ordered them up, installed, and now I can see a lot farther into the distance. *Props to LibertyTC :)*

Just like everyone else warns, just be careful not to get any fingerprints or oil on them!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Glad you liked them Bmxbika11 and now you can see better.
I still have to mount a couple of 100 watt 5 inch round onto the push bar.
Here is one shot Where Ryan and I tried one out to see if it could illuminate distant sign.
34047[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Nothing beats a good "set" of Headlights! :D
After all, Visibility is everything at night!

Attachments

• Piaa5-1.jpg
    Piaa5-1.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Luke, you should leave the working one alone, to see how much longer it will run for !
I am really surprised that after the collision the other one still worked, and last 4 months.
Mine will probably last 5 years, but then I don't put the miles on the jeep so much as compared to the sedan.

Update: The bulb in the non-accident side just quit. Again only the low beam ... So that is 38 months and 60k (36k miles) on a set of PIAA Xtreme Whites. I don't see any condensation issues in this housing and I always use disposable gloves when installing so no premature oil issues.

Latest posts

Members online